Star Trek
  • Gonna spoiler the below not to ruin epsiode 1 of season 3 (Discovery) for anyone.
    Spoiler:

Also
    Spoiler:
  • Is season 2 of Discovery when young Spock has a beard, and then he doesn't have a beard?
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Second most important arc in sci-fi, that
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    Is season 2 of Discovery when young Spock has a beard, and then he doesn't have a beard?

Yes
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Gonna spoiler the below not to ruin epsiode 1 of season 3 (Discovery) for anyone.
    Spoiler:
    Also
    Spoiler:
    For some reason I keep watching Discovery. I guess there isn't much else sci fi related out there atm.
    In short I thought episode one was fine. With some dreadful writing as per usual.
    Spoiler:
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Wasn't the great burn from Babylon 5? And on the subject of other series, why am I getting flashbacks to Andromeda? ;)

Anyway, I'd be a hypocrite if I didn't appreciate what they're doing (or seem to be doing) what with Georgiou thoroughly enjoying this new state of affairs vs Tilly and Saru's adherence to the Federation code. It was what I felt was missing from Voyager with the Maquis crew members - at least there's some tension in Discovery.

Yes, it's more JJs Trek that classic Trek, but I've enjoyed the first two episodes.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I enjoyed, for the most part, the setup of the first episode, but I felt the second episode was filler. Just far too much time in that empty bar... how are they making any money?? And the Jeffries tube was just nonsense. No-one else was capable of being told what to do in that scene?
  • I love Discovery. Season 2 was great and enjoying Season 3’s start so far. I would even go so far as to say it is probably my favourite Trek.
    That was awkward and unsettling, never post anything like it again.
  • Can you watch season 3 without having first watched season 2?. I don't really wanna sit through hours of Spock with beard/no beard.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • So far, season three is pretty much a fresh start so long as you’re happy to just accept where characters/things are at without worrying about why. Easy to say that when we’re only two episodes in, mind.

I’d maybe go read a synopsis from S2 or episode recaps somewhere online to get the gist without sitting through it all.
  • Come with g if you want to live...
  • *runs away*
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • b0r1s wrote:
    I enjoyed, for the most part, the setup of the first episode, but I felt the second episode was filler. Just far too much time in that empty bar... how are they making any money?? And the Jeffries tube was just nonsense. No-one else was capable of being told what to do in that scene?

I really liked the static scene set up in the bar - made a change from the ADHD of the last 2 seasons and gave the characters time to breathe.

The Jeffries tube scene was crap and I skipped a lot of it. This was like the worst aspects of the earlier seasons revisited.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • Christ their budget has gone up

Hearing good things about s3 after all my whinging above. May give it a go cos bored
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    Can you watch season 3 without having first watched season 2?. I don't really wanna sit through hours of Spock with beard/no beard.

Just watch season 2 it alright.
  • Overall I quite liked episode 2. Thought it better than episode one for sure. Why Stamens(?) needed to be talked through a basic repair though had me scratching my head a bit.
  • Yeah, head of engineering should know his own ship better than random engineer from a different ship.
  • I thought he had a concussion hence why he was being aided in the Jefferies tube.
  • I just thought it was poor writing.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    I just thought it was poor writing.

This

She could have talked anyone through it. It was a shoehorned scene to keep him in the picture.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    poprock wrote:
    I just thought it was poor writing.
    This She could have talked anyone through it. It was a shoehorned scene to keep him in the picture.
    Seconded.
    What I thought would happen was when there was a an explosion in the tube he would be temporarily blinded by the flash and Bobcat then could talk him through it. Same scene, but making sense this time.

Ah its a bit of a nitpick, overall thought it was an ok episode. But at the end when Burnham shows up, the over emoting returned in bucketloads. Christ lads show some restraint.
  • The end of that epsiode was alittle too convenient.

One thing has struck me is that for probably the first time ever in a Star Trek series i dont know the names of the main crew off the top of my head. Not sure if its becuade the series is burnham focused or that the lack of 24 epsiode per season means we dont get the episodes focused on other characters of the main crew.
  • What do you mean you don’t know them? There’s Gadget-head Pilot Girl, Pilot of Colour, Ensign Tilly, Acting (behind his foam rubber prosthetics) Captain Saru, and, erm … yes. Well.
  • I've come to the conclusion that Discovery can't multi-task.  The fewer characters and the simpler the story line the better.  Really enjoyed the first episode, and then the rest of the ship came back into the picture and it went to shit.  

So many questions from ep3:
    Spoiler:
    And those are just the ones I can remember.

Bring back Burnham on drugs!  Highlight of the whole show.
  • So, it seems the audition process for this show is to have had a big role in hell on wheels previously. There's captain pike (anson mount who played Cullen bohannon), the baddie in the bar (forget the characters name, but that's jake t weber, played a carpet bagging governor in hell on wheels), and in this episode, the raider with the mantis looking helmet (a criminally underused Christopher heyerdahl, who was the swede in hell on wheels).

Next week, we find out chief O'brien has been frozen for 850 years so they can give colm meaney a role.
  • I'm not sure Discovery has ever settled on what type of Star Trek series it wants to be. The epsiodes vary in quality of the storytelling. So the federation existed for another 750 odd years before "the burn" destroyed it. Thats a very very long time for an empire to exist.

Also they seem to be ignoring the elephant in the room. Romulan ships werent powered by dilithum but by an artifical singularity. Surely the romulan empire would be having a field day across the alpha quadrant.

If I was Saru, i would be more interested in acquiring the shields and weapons of the day as Discovery wont last long in a fight.
  • This episode just confused me with its stupidity. So much so I'm wondering if im the one missing something.
    To risk being terribly old fashioned and seriously un-woke, I thought Burnham looked fairly hawt in the black and with the long hair.
  • Just seen epiosde 3 and im not what to make of this season. Burnham seems to have somehow forgotten she was brought up on vulcan. Not sure where the series is going. TNG overall theme was exploration. DS9 was war. VOYAGER was getting home. Not sure what the overall theme for Discovery is.
    Spoiler:
  • The theme is diversity and reacting with SUPER emotions at every minor thing.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Not sure why
    Spoiler:

This is one of the problems with current TV series. They are too short to allow different levels of character to develop in a show. 22 episode series afford the ability for script writers to develop more characters over time. 10 episodes is great for something that is action or that have one or two characters to develop. Trek isn’t it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!