Comedian Comedy HAHA LOL Thread Thread
  • Went to see Flight of the Conchords last night.  I'm relieved to say that their new stuff is (for the most part) really good - holding its own against, and sometimes surpassing, the back catalogue.  They also managed to find ways to revisit the "hits" without them feeling stale.
  • My cousin is a comedian and had a run at the most recent Edinburgh Fringe Festival.

She recorded a homecoming show in her local, which can be purchased quite cheaply here: https://lolsybyrne.bandcamp.com/releases
  • My cousin is a comedian and had a run at the most recent Edinburgh Fringe Festival.

She recorded a homecoming show in her local, which can be purchased quite cheaply here: https://lolsybyrne.bandcamp.com/releases

Really bad sound quality on that taster on the link.
  • tin_robot wrote:
    Went to see Flight of the Conchords last night.  I'm relieved to say that their new stuff is (for the most part) really good - holding its own against, and sometimes surpassing, the back catalogue.  They also managed to find ways to revisit the "hits" without them feeling stale.

I saw them Saturday night in York.  I thought their new stuff was fantastic.  Particularly the tender father and son one.  The warm up guy with the mobile phone song was ace too.
  • tin_robot wrote:
    Went to see Flight of the Conchords last night.  I'm relieved to say that their new stuff is (for the most part) really good - holding its own against, and sometimes surpassing, the back catalogue.  They also managed to find ways to revisit the "hits" without them feeling stale.
    I saw them Saturday night in York.  I thought their new stuff was fantastic.  Particularly the tender father and son one.  The warm up guy with the mobile phone song was ace too.

I was the Sunday in York.  I agree David O'Doherty was really good as the warm up - though it sounds like we got a different song.  Did he come back for the Jazz bit later?  (The man plays a mean triangle.)

And yes, "Father and Son" was excellent, though I think my favourite was the profound reflection on spirituality and human nature that was "Seagull".
  • Yeah, he was back for the triangle.  

We had ace seats.  Front row centre.  It was a great time.  We're back in the Barbican in a few weeks for the showing of Jaws with a live orchestra.  That's about as near to "proper" culture i'll have ever been.
  • Anyone watched new Gervais stand-up on Netflix yet?  I find him to be an insufferable cunt these days, but I seem to remember liking his stand-up years back so thought I'd give it a shot.  It's ok, not great, he's still an insufferable cunt, and he seems to like talking about his own tweets.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I fucking despise Gervais, more than Corden.
  • Corden's worse for me.
  • Reviews have utterly panned the new Gervais thing. I am interested to see it becaus I used to like him, but twitter seems to have been a catalyst for the worst parts of him. Constantly being a shithead about things and then getting angry when people call him out. The review I read seems to suggest one part of the routine is him talking about the ability to get "Chimpanzee reassignment surgery" which just seems in incredibly bad taste - http://www.vulture.com/2018/03/ricky-gervais-humanity-netflix-review.html

Review for context. I'll watch it at some point to see if it's off base.
  • Tempy wrote:
    RI am interested to see it becaus I used to like him

My reasoning.  There were a couple of funny bits but that's all.  It's not too long though.
  • The Office is great, everything else can do one. I didn't like his stand up either.

Couple of pals on FB gave it a 9/10 and a 10/10.
  • I enjoyed the new Gervais thing, apart from his pre-op chimp stuff, which indicates that he’s not as open minded as he claims.
  • The Office is genius.

Extras had some glorious moments, especially Bowie.

Whichever stand-up had the joke about your one who ate ten pies with chips a day and didn't know where to start to lose weight, that was good.

Derek (think it was called that) was awful.
  • Nobody is worse than Corden. Nobody. Not Stalin, not Pot, not Hitler or Farage or Allardyce. Nobody.

In years to come historians will look at Corden as proof human evolution started to go backwards.
  • The new Gervais was alright. A bit like Halo. Same 30 seconds repeated.
  • New Gervais was utter shit and tbh offensive without being funny.

Haha, Bruce, haha, I'm a chimp, haha, look at his pole vault, haha. Tosser.
  • Rape joke, but it's not a rape joke, because I'm not directly laughing at rape lol

I said grape, it's a play on words.

The man's a tosser who thinks he's being edgy, but he's not clever in the slightest. If you think he is you're a moron. It's a shame because the office was pretty darn good.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    We're all starting to feel the same numbness and nausea Stewart Lee felt on seeing Gervais' first standup show.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Went on a Youtube deep-dive recently and ended up with this.

Now I saw Christie do this live a bunch of years ago. It was just so silly and awkward and so many in the room just didn't get it. It was wonderful.

Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Office was great. I really liked Extras too.

Derek outtakes are good - have never watched the actual series.

He isn't a stand-up though.

I still quite like him. He's done good. Worked in an office for 10 years before getting a break so I give him credit for that - would have been easy to give up on the writing.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Someone elsewhere I was talking to said he wasn't a stand-up either. I remember Politics and Animals being utterly massive when they came out, and I think he was good at it. He's just a nasty cunt these days.
  • Thought his new one was fine, tbh.  Got a few laughs.  Some bits did drag quite a bit.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Someone elsewhere I was talking to said he wasn't a stand-up either. I remember Politics and Animals being utterly massive when they came out, and I think he was good at it. He's just a nasty cunt these days.

They came across as lectures more than stand up though, as good as they were.  I couldn't imagine him going off script too well. His strength is writing. 

It's been a while though. He could have got better by now. He's clever enough to have done so.

I enjoyed that podcast he did with Merchant and Pilkington though I think I enjoyed the animations that went along with it more.
  • Stand-up relies a fair bit on writing and scripting though, it's very rarely stream of consciousness. They're called routines etc.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    But you can say funny things without actually being a funny person.

Bob Hope couldn't write a line but he could deliver them. Not saying Gervais is the exact opposite but he's not a natural comic.

Actually - I'm not sure what I'm saying. Just don't think he is stand up material is all.
  • I guess it depends what's you're looking for in a comic. I like a good well constructed routine, some of Gervais earlier stuff was clever.

Now he's just become a parody of himself.
  • The bit about his potential son being a little shit made me laugh.
    The rest of the new show isnt great, moving into offensive (although not insanely offensive, more inconsiderate).
  • "I got this tweet aaaaannnd i shouldn't have reaponded, buuut..." Oh Ricky you're so smart and ascerbic, I too am smart and ascerbic, people say I am really sarcastic, cutting and intelligent and this just enforces my positive view of my character traits. We are so alike. I could be rich like you. Ad nauseum.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    James Acaster's Repertoire is on Netflix and pretty damn good.

It's actually three separate shows that he wrote and performed individually before collecting them together into a trilogy, followed by a fourth show that is almost entirely made up of references and call backs to the previous shows.

Around three and a half hours of comedy all in all, worth watching in as few sittings as close together as possible.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!