Comedian Comedy HAHA LOL Thread Thread
  • Can't stand Davies. Saw Lee live in March. Once again fucking brilliant. In the show he mentions there are many better stand ups than him then goes on to list only one. Anybody know the name?
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • I can't stand Lee. Most over rated performer going.
    Shitting on other acts as your act is weak.
    He is smart and notices smart things but he isn't funny, just a know it all.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    three1ne wrote:
    Can't stand Davies. Saw Lee live in March. Once again fucking brilliant. In the show he mentions there are many better stand ups than him then goes on to list only one. Anybody know the name?

I don’t know, but presumably someone from here?

http://the-void.co.uk/comedy/stewart-lee-presents-the-ten-best-stand-ups-in-the-world-ever/

My guess would be Munnery.
  • Do not attempt to watch the Seth Rogan Netflix charity thing. It is a humor vacuum.
  • The words Seth and Rogan should have tipped you off.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I can't stand Lee. Most over rated performer going. Shitting on other acts as your act is weak. He is smart and notices smart things but he isn't funny, just a know it all.
    jesus
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I've warmed a bit to Lee over the years but I do think he's more interesting than funny. I don't think I've laughed at much of his material as much as just enjoyed it.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    New Greg Davies special on that there Netflix. Not as good as his last two shows (especially Cheeseballs), still pretty great.

We watched it last night, I’ve always enjoyed his material and one section in a particular had both my wife and I in utter hysterics. I just can’t remember what it was now!

Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I can't stand Lee. Most over rated performer going.
    Shitting on other acts as your act is weak.
    He is smart and notices smart things but he isn't funny, just a know it all.

I feel the same way, being negative about others can be done in a funny way but when it seems to be your whole act it gets pretty dull pretty fast for me.

Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I saw a video of Greg Delaney doing some one liners yesterday and I was in tears at a few of them.
    Some of my favourites included
    “My girlfriends arse is like a peach, hairy and makes a terrible yogurt”

And

“My grief counsellor died recently, luckily he was so good I didn’t give a shit”
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I feel the same way, being negative about others can be done in a funny way but when it seems to be your whole act it gets pretty dull pretty fast for me.

It’s not remotely his whole act. It’s certainly something he does, filtered through his bitter, jaded, on-stage persona, a man seething with jealousy at other comedians being more successful than him despite him looking down on them, but it’s only a part of what he does.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I found a nice interview with Lee where he covers this stuff:
    In the first series of Comedy Vehicle, I was impressed by how masterly you seemed, how in control of the room, how cocky, almost. You could turn your shoulder to the audience and walk away, safe in the knowledge that you had them in the palm of your hand. But that has disintegrated now, and your character seems barely in control at all. Was that a planned progression?

SL: No, it's just developed. I'd got to the end of that thing. If I was to watch that first series again, I don't think I'd like the stuff in there. Cos he's a sort of high-status figure, dissing people. And there's not enough in it that suggests the criticism's also of him, or suggests that he's got some sort of problem. It may be that it's gone too far the other way now. We'll see what people make of it.

http://thequietus.com/articles/19817-stewart-lee-interview
  • Lee cuts such a fine line between persona and person it's really quite impressive. I understand why it turns people off, but I think when you see him live and watch his live shows you can see him physically buckle at the absurdity of the stuff he's exclaiming.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    He also manages to switch between high and low status, and sometimes even be both at once, in a way that few comedians can manage, or would even attempt.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Yup. Nuance and subtext is for gayboys tho
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’m still idly working my way through that interview (which is very good), there’s another bit about taking the piss out of other comedians:
    When I really tried to start again, in 2004, and really think about what I was trying to do in stand-up – and I had to do something, because I was in a lot of trouble financially and I knew I had to make something work – that's partly why I started to take the piss out of famous comedians. [Lee fans will be familiar with his mocking references to the likes of Michael McIntyre, Lee Mack, and "those Russell comedians they have now"] You'd get reviewers going, 'It's not shocking like Frankie Boyle', but I wasn't trying to do that. You can't say, 'It's failed because it's not that.' So I overstated my case, really, in order to clear the decks, so they couldn't compare me to anyone else. But the problem with that is, had I known how well it might do, I probably wouldn't have said that, about those people. Because the things I said hang around, and it doesn't make sense now you're doing four nights at Brighton Dome.
  • Matt_82 wrote:
    Thats excellent.
    I saw a video of Greg Delaney doing some one liners yesterday and I was in tears at a few of them. Some of my favourites included “My girlfriends arse is like a peach, hairy and makes a terrible yogurt” And “My grief counsellor died recently, luckily he was so good I didn’t give a shit”

Hes amazing live and i was shocked him and alan cochrane played in our small town.
    He did use those two lines you mention though.
    He was amazing and il defintly see him again.
  • Skerret wrote:
    I can't stand Lee. Most over rated performer going. Shitting on other acts as your act is weak. He is smart and notices smart things but he isn't funny, just a know it all.
    jesus

Worse than jrpc imo

• digi wrote:
    I saw a video of Greg Delaney doing some one liners yesterday and I was in tears at a few of them. Some of my favourites included “My girlfriends arse is like a peach, hairy and makes a terrible yogurt” And “My grief counsellor died recently, luckily he was so good I didn’t give a shit”
    Hes amazing live and i was shocked him and alan cochrane played in our small town. He did use those two lines you mention though. He was amazing and il defintly see him again.
    He's a Gary, not a Greg.
  • Silly autocorrect!
  • The Greg Davies thing was fucking hilarious.
  • Yea I love Gred Davies he’s brilliant
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    You can't even spell his name correctly Wook, for god's sake man
  • How do you spell Greg then?
  • Oh yea, I see what I’ve done there
  • Vic Reeves' instagram is such a ray of light silliness in a dark world. Pure joy.

Jamesmoir12

Any other good comedians people here follow?

• https://uproxx.com/tv/comedy-after-hannah-gadsby-nanette/

This pretty much needs to be watched. No faffing about.

One of the best things I've ever seen.

Belongs in multiple threads. Hopefully it's on all Netflix regions.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Any other good comedians people here follow?
    Nope none

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!