PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    three1ne wrote:
    Explain the Shindig/Lee reference please.
    Read dis: http://www.thedugout.tv/community/archive/index.php/t-80377.html.

Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Also the idea that you people (I saw a certain Dark Soldier in that thread) have a forum life outside this forum is wrong, wrong wrong wrong. From now on, we are loyal to one club card I mean forum.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • So reading Lee's Book has made me intrigued about Johnny Vegas. I always found him entertaining in the 'drunken simpleton' manner, but it seems that there is more too him. He also quips about not wanting to attract Al Murray's audience, they being people who go to laugh at laddish jokes that are actually criticisms.

Just wondered if anyone shared the above enthusiasm.
  • AJ_ wrote:
    Speaking of comedy (incoming plug, if you hadn't noticed), work's running a competition at the moment; haven't seen a good entry yet, but some of them are so bad it's funny: http://www.comedyspots.tv/watch/ I mean, seriously?

Wow, that puppet one is bad! Really bad!.
    Who is Peter Scone and why has he got about 15 videos?

Edit: I can't stop watching these, they are terrible, the worst are the ones ripping off other comedian's styles but so badly.
  • I've no idea who any of the entrants are.  Some have a lot of entries because somebody decided it'd be a good idea to put that people can enter as many times as they want in the rules.

Chris Munro is probably the best I've seen.  Not that "the best I've seen" is saying much.
  • Yeah he is quite good. The guy with the most votes currently is O.K but he does that annoying whispery voice of no confidence.

I will try and get my mate who does stand up to enter, he is far, far funnier than most people on there. Will try and get him to spread it around his circle of mates in the stand up scene too.

I think the problem with the competition though is that 1 minute isn't enough time to build and pause for comic timing, which encourages a barrage of shitty animations and for people to upload a 2-3 minute sketch as 2-3 seperate videos.

Edit: watch Will Marsh I nearly imploded with cringe.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    So reading Lee's Book has made me intrigued about Johnny Vegas. I always found him entertaining in the 'drunken simpleton' manner, but it seems that there is more too him. He also quips about not wanting to attract Al Murray's audience, they being people who go to laugh at laddish jokes that are actually criticisms. Just wondered if anyone shared the above enthusiasm.
    I didn't know much about Vegas beyond what I saw on panel shows which in hindsight I don't think he is suited to.  The Who's Ready For Icecream? clip I posted a page back or so seems more like what he's about.  The packaging doesn't reflect the contents in his case.

His Al Murray observation pops up a bit in his standup; "Well done mate, well done for havin' a go at the bloody Muslims".
  • I will try and get my mate who does stand up to enter, he is far, far funnier than most people on there. Will try and get him to spread it around his circle of mates in the stand up scene too.
    Cool, thanks.  I imagine anyone decent will enter later, since they're taking time to prepare their entries.  Should probably point out that the terms of the development contract (and hence, entry) require them to make another 52 videos.  Bit over the top, if you ask me.
    I think the problem with the competition though is that 1 minute isn't enough time to build and pause for comic timing, which encourages a barrage of shitty animations and for people to upload a 2-3 minute sketch as 2-3 seperate videos.
    Yeah, somebody decided it would be better to be short because they all have to be watched.  Three minutes would probably be better.
    Edit: watch Will Marsh I nearly imploded with cringe.
    Will do when I get a chance.
  • Saw Simon Donald twice last year. One was his surveyor character, the other his rough Geordie. Both were really funny, though I hope he's developed a bit of variety into his act.

Always see some decent stuff on the free fringe, though none of them have ever gone on to make it.

iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Gonzo wrote:
    Simon Munnery's good crack. Simon Donald had me in stitches last year. He's a train of vag jokes, but boy does it work. Stewart Lee is consistently good, though. "Well you can prove anything with facts, can't you".
    I like Munnery's two crucified blokes puppetry bit.  He was here recently for the comedy festival and I umm'd and ahh'd but eventually failed to attend, shamefully.  He's good in Comedy Vehicle.  "But look at the picture Henry, look at the picture of Ant and Dec!"
  • AJ_ wrote:
    I think the problem with the competition though is that 1 minute isn't enough time to build and pause for comic timing, which encourages a barrage of shitty animations and for people to upload a 2-3 minute sketch as 2-3 seperate videos.]
    Yeah, somebody decided it would be better to be short because they all have to be watched.  Three minutes would probably be better.

All seems a bit shit. Coaching by David Mitchell? I like Peep Show, I think Mitchell is intelligent. Is he really what people want too 'win' though? I agree a minute is far too short. That right there tells you the sort of competition this is.

Reminds me off

equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • AJ_ wrote:
    Speaking of comedy (incoming plug, if you hadn't noticed), work's running a competition at the moment; haven't seen a good entry yet, but some of them are so bad it's funny: http://www.comedyspots.tv/watch/ I mean, seriously?
    Wow, that puppet one is bad! Really bad!.

Hmmm...

iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • three1ne wrote:
    All seems a bit shit. Coaching by David Mitchell? I like Peep Show, I think Mitchell is intelligent. Is he really what people want too 'win' though? I agree a minute is far too short. That right there tells you the sort of competition this is.
    Yeah, somebody thought it would be something people want, don't ask me.  None of it's really anything much to do with me, I just had to throw a website together in fuck all time.
  • Nice AJ, the one thing I thought was 'atleast the website is good'
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Wow, that puppet one is bad! Really bad!
    Surely that was some misguided attempt at anti-comedy.  Surely.  Please.
  • You shoulda seen what it would have been like if I'd had a normal amount of time to make it.
  • Didnt realise you were involved AJ_. (lovely website)
  • So wi
    Tempy wrote:
    So reading Lee's Book has made me intrigued about Johnny Vegas. I always found him entertaining in the 'drunken simpleton' manner, but it seems that there is more too him. He also quips about not wanting to attract Al Murray's audience, they being people who go to laugh at laddish jokes that are actually criticisms. Just wondered if anyone shared the above enthusiasm.

Which book is it @Tempy?
  • How I Escaped My Certain Fate: The Life and Deaths of a Stand-up Comedian

Has a short intro and then transcripts of three of his Stand-up shows, Stand-up Comedian, 90s Comedian and 41st Best Stand-up Ever that are fall of footnotes and stuff. It is part Biography and part analysis and deconstruction of his own work and some of the stuff i've read from the transcript of 41st means that I have realised i've missed a ton of references that he makes.
  • Worth it then? Ive watched all of his shows.
  • Reminds me, I need to buy the Fist of Fun DVD now it is finally out.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • three1ne wrote:
    Worth it then? Ive watched all of his shows.

I've only watched 41st and several snippets of others so I'm reading the 41st bit whilst waiting for those two to arrive from Amazon. It is insightful look into the mind of a comedian I guess. He praises a lot of people you wouldn't expect too.
  • three1ne wrote:
    Didnt realise you were involved AJ_. (lovely website)
    Thanks.  The overall design wasn't me, though; it was actually my workmate who's doing The Fringe that I mentioned earlier; I just made everything work and did odd bits of layout.
  • (lovely odd bits of layout)

What do you do then? Work for a webdesign company I guess.
  • No, I work for an on-line video company.  I don't really have a proper job title at the moment, but kinda do everything tech-related from Head of Technology to IT Engineer.  So, one of the things is coding web sites when we need them.  Which suits me, 'cause I'm really a developer.

I'd link to one of our pages, but I find most of our content a little embarrassing.
  • I caught Doug Stanhope's last show of his recent UK jaunt at the Hammersmith Apollo.
    I think it's safe to say ole Doug's past his sell by date, which is a shame, really.
    Thing is, he's openly stating it at the beginning of his shows, so fair enough I suppose.
    Although, in saying that, he did the funniest bit I've ever heard from him at the end of his show about how he'd criticise American foreign policy at the drop of a hat, but launched into a scathing tirade against the UK including how depressing it is, how crowds are more informed than Americans and harder to play to, how customer service is shite and how London is full of cunts.

Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist
  • Saw Rhod Gilbert last night in Edinburgh.  Very good.  The show was only an hour long though which was odd (is it a Fringe thing?).  It meant that on more than one occasion he had to stop himself going off on a tangent which is a fairly large part of his act.
  • I wold imagine that is a fringe thing, from what I can gather stage time is like gold dust.

I like Rhod Gilbert, he is very mainstream but I like his anger at the little things in the world.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    A friend gave me a copy of this, a comedian called Tig Notaro doing a show shortly after being diagnosed with breast cancer. It's incredible. Well worth $5, a portion of which goes to breast cancer charities.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!