Ask the Bear & Badger
  • If you want the best of the internet, you have to take the not best. Although in it's own way, it is best.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • nick_md wrote:
    I like cadburys Turkish delight although I couldn't tell you when I last had one. I think eat a chocolate bar no more than a handful of times a year now.

Back to chocolate. The Cadbury Turkish has been discontinued in the UK but is still sold in Ireland.

Green and Blacks white chocolate and their milk with sea salt are the absolute bomb.

• I'd like to big up possibly for the second time in recent times iirc Coop dark chocolate with orange zest bits in. Because this bad bwoy has CHUNKS of zest in it, proper chew your way through them chunks, I really like it, pretty decently priced as well.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Coop dark chocolate with orange zest bits in

Yes!

There's one with ginger in too, might not even be co-op. But the orange one is A+++ would devour again.
  • I got a couple of Fry's Turkish Delight from Santa. There's something pleasing about the proportions of the bar.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I remember when I was a kid it seemed like a huge bar of chocolate. But I was always a bit suspicious of it's jelly but not jelly nature.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Djornson wrote:
    Since we seem to be on the subject if you actually want want anonymity get a VPN, these guys are pretty good - https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/ I use Ecosia - https://www.ecosia.org/ yes it tracks me and stuff but i'm not sure i care. When i was using DuckDuckGo i would search for nationwide and it would bring up nationwide america which i found inconvenient.

A VPN will only encrypt your web traffic in transit. At the website end it isn't so it wouldn't do anything for anonymity. It protects against snoopers intercepting your data in transit such as usernames and passwords so is worth it. More and more sites use https of course which can protect you. But a VPN will add protection - especially if using public wifi as the traffic between your phone and the wifi access point may not be encrypted - particularly during sign-on - and off-the shelf boxes can sniff the data out of the air or extract data from the access point itself which will temporarily hold session data,
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    The website won't know your ip address (well, it shouldn't, but it can if you don't harden your browser), but it can still track you etc.
  • Hey ya'll

Recently there's been lots on iplayer that i dont get round to watching before it disappears. I missed little drummer girl for example.

If i had the right tech, could i have recorded little drummer girl on my TV?

I could fuck about with snagit on my laptop but i don't want too much effort.

I think if i had sky then the sky box would do it? But i have no desire to pay for TV beyond license fee and netflix.

Pausing live TV a bonus but not necessary.
  • It's an old Panasonic Plasma. P50G20B i think.

It's on the verge of dying though
  • You could get a second hand DVD recorder. A new TV sounds like a much better idea though.
  • Djornson wrote:
    It's an old Panasonic Plasma. P50G20B i think. It's on the verge of dying though

You can connect a USB hard drive to it, and record that way.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Could you get some video capture software for your computer? Like streamers do but software based as opposed to using a new video card

edit: sorry you mentioned this
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Really one for the Edinburgh Badgers here.

I turn 40 (urgh) in June and we’re discussing something to do. I *think* we’ve decided on a trip to Edinburgh over this period so I’d like some recommendations on legit hotels (or alternatives), day time food, night time food, stuff to see and do, decent shops etc etc etc. It’ll be the full family of me, wife, boy and girl. Kids are 10 & 12 but aren’t tearaway morons and are used to eating like grown ups rather than looking for (shudders) family friendly places. Kids have never been to Edinburgh so I’m guessing we may be looking at some of the obvs tourist bits so any advice on that would also be good.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Really one for the Edinburgh Badgers here.

I have my tenth wedding anniversary in August and we’re discussing something to do. I *think* we’ve decided on a trip to Edinburgh over this period so I’d like some recommendations on legit hotels (or alternatives), day time food, night time food, stuff to see and do, decent shops etc etc etc. It’ll be just the wife and me (wooo). I've been there only briefly and the wife never have never been to Edinburgh so I’m guessing we may be looking at some of the obvs tourist bits so any advice on that would also be good.
  • I think you two have just accidentally organised another stock.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Really one for the Edinburgh Badgers here.

I have my tenth wedding anniversary in August and we’re discussing something to do. I *think* we’ve decided on a trip to Edinburgh over this period so I’d like some recommendations on legit hotels (or alternatives), day time food, night time food, stuff to see and do, decent shops etc etc etc. It’ll be just the wife and me (wooo). I've been there only briefly and the wife never have never been to Edinburgh so I’m guessing we may be looking at some of the obvs tourist bits so any advice on that would also be good.

Hi here I am.

Okay, so I probably have done the most Edinburgh on the forum and was also born here so.

So I would put it into 5 buckets

tourism

Are you actually gonna wanna see Edinburgh castle you can see it from Princes Street do you need to see some outfits okay then

weird old shit

So we have our dungeon and we have our Mary kings close and we have our sad royal mile ghost walks etc. Very little of this is good.

our good shit

Go to chambers st museum, it's fucking wild, go to our two modern art galleries, at present they have free stuff of Eduardo Paolozzi and Andy Warhol. Go to the surgeons museum and see bits in jars. Walk out to cramond isle and see the submarine moments.

food and drink

Shit son this is what we do well. Shout me if you have ant preferences.

local food marketd
    They exist at weekend. If you want, let me know.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    I think you two have just accidentally organised another stock.

Muzzy’s wife will be delighted to hear that.
  • Scottish National Portrait Gallery is well well worth a visit.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    WorKid wrote:
    Scottish National Portrait Gallery is well well worth a visit.

It generally is but they are monetising that shit a lot now.
  • Great minds obviously think alike.   My wife and kids are pretty desperate to meet my internet friends and it is my 40th, I guess so why not....

Reg -

We’re gonna be in town Thursday morning through to Saturday evening.  I love good hotels so this is a must.  I’m not gonna blow 10k a night or anything but something nice would be just the ticket.

Food recs for fine evening dining. You know the type - Michelin stars and what not would be embraced for the one night but would also like The Best Burger in Town (tm) and proper fresh healthy stuff too.  Not too fussed on types of food - just good.

I’m sorry but I guess we’ll end up in the castle because it’s massive and obvious and overlooks the train station when we emerge.
  • Reg knows.

The Camera Obscura is a very good shout for the kids.

Baba is probably my favourite place for food in Edinburgh at the moment.

The Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art is way more fun than the main National Gallery.

Stockbridge market is worth a foodie visit on a Sunday, and puts you in the nicest part of town for a wander.

It’s a tourist city so you can find hotels for any budget. My wife’s firm won a bunch of awards for The Principal last year, so that might be worth a look. Other big names I’ve been involved with are the Scotsman and Tigerlily. Some friends of mine just opened up a ‘private residence’ called The Chaumer Abide which is really special.
  • Go and have some grub on the queen's old boat.
  • poprock wrote:
    My wife’s firm won a bunch of awards for The Principal last year, so that might be worth a look. Other big names I’ve been involved with are the Scotsman and Tigerlily. Some friends of mine just opened up a ‘private residence’ called The Chaumer Abide which is really special.

The Chaumer doesn’t seem to be ready yet (at least from the web page) but I’d be interested from your brief description alone on that one?

I’ll have a looksie at the other after my shower. Cheers pop.
  • Banking question.

So I've recently had a little bit of trouble getting my card to work in ATM's. I think the chip is a bit scuffed or something, so if it can't read it, it'll still let me go through the motions of putting my pin in and all that, choosing what I want, and then saying something "this cannot be completed at this time" and spews out my card. Most of the time I just keep trying and it'll eventually work.

So I gets a text from RBS this week saying "your new card is arriving in 3-5 working days". Arrived on Friday, and it doesn't have the raised numbers that cards usually do. Is that a thing now?

I never ordered one though. So, is this an automated thing? Do banks check to see when a card is declined due to being unreadable and sends you a new one if you meet a threshold? I've not used the new card yet in case.
  • Banking question. So I've recently had a little bit of trouble getting my card to work in ATM's. I think the chip is a bit scuffed or something, so if it can't read it, it'll still let me go through the motions of putting my pin in and all that, choosing what I want, and then saying something "this cannot be completed at this time" and spews out my card. Most of the time I just keep trying and it'll eventually work. So I gets a text from RBS this week saying "your new card is arriving in 3-5 working days". Arrived on Friday, and it doesn't have the raised numbers that cards usually do. Is that a thing now? I never ordered one though. So, is this an automated thing? Do banks check to see when a card is declined due to being unreadable and sends you a new one if you meet a threshold? I've not used the new card yet in case.

Yeah, new cards don’t have raised numbers anymore and yes, they can tell if your card is fucked and send you a new one.  The system WORKS!
  • [reply=Uncle]

It is ready, the website isn’t. *taps nose*

Edinburgh has had an explosion or world-class cocktail bars in recent years, if that appeals for a grown-ups night out. Look up Hoot the Redeemer, Panda & Sons, and Devil’s Advocate. The locals hang out at Bramble, which is a near-blackout tiny basement dive with incredible cocktails and loud hip-hop.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!