Ask the Bear & Badger
  • HawBawJaws wrote:
    Using the ip address, can we figure out the mobile number that used the app to place the order?

Not legally, I don’t think.

I think the only people who can link the IP address to a phone number are the ISP being used at the time. So the user’s phone network, or Cineworld’s ISP if the user was on their Wi-Fi at the time. Usually it would take a court order to make an ISP or network provider hand over the details.

You can find out your own mobile’s IP address quite easily though, so maybe a workaround would be to get all staff to (voluntarily) do that in an interview or meeting and check whose matches the IP address you have?
  • I suspected as much, cheers!
  • I’m no expert, others here might know more about less kosher ways to find out what you need.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Something like this:

https://grabify.link/

Used on a link sent to the guy you suspect might work if he clicks it.

Although, based on my understanding of IP addresses, even if they matched it might not mean it was him specifically, IP addresses on the web aren’t used by single devices. And, even if they didn’t match it could still be him as IP addresses can change.

Disclaimer: the above paragraph could well be mistaken.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Above paragraph is correct. IP Addresses are expensive, so residential customers share a whole bunch that get rotated around. So IP address is very likely a nogo. Because you'd get the current IP address not the one they had at the time except you'd not get it

However I've now read the original query, and the food provider would (might) have logged details relating to that order source. If they do this themselves then they will have it but no-one will want to get it for you, if the storefront is managed by a larger party then they won't have this personal and identifiable information. They will get aggregated data from the service provider along with all the other clients that use them

Sorry but it seems likely that you'll not find out, not legally, without a warrant, so not ilegally I think I mean, damn I confuse myself sometimes
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Aye, that was my guess. She's punted it to our it department in America, but I'm guessing they'll tell her the same.

Thanks as always badgers!
  • Kow wrote:
    Somehow I've fucked my shoulder, hurts to lift my arm over my head or reach forward. No idea how I could have done it. Is it better I exercise it or rest it?

This is probably a bit late by now, but just in case...  You can stay active, and keep going with gentle movements - but avoid strenuous exercise or anything that actively triggers the pain (obviously). Consider your posture when sitting down - try not to slump, keep your back and shoulders straight and rest your arm on a cushion if needs be. It’s worth taking painkillers, just to help maintain some movement. Keeping your shoulder completely still is actively unhelpful in most cases. If it’s dragging on, then ideally see a physio as targeted exercises are often very helpful.

Obviously if the pain’s severe or stopping you from moving - or if you have pins and needles or numbness, then see a doctor.

That said, hopefully it’s already better by now...
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It's better now, but thanks anyway. I'll know for next time. Now, do you write prescriptions for rejuvenation pills?
  • Did a shift at a local pub today that has a lot of students in. Tons of them used those Monzo cards. Are they any cop?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Never heard of them, what are they?
  • Some new fangled bank with an app? Not sure myself.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Aye the youth like them I think, think they have some vaguely funky USPs but can't remember the details
  • Free lattes and avocados amirite hehehehe
  • Quick look.
    Seems like they are linked to a budgeting app and have free international transfers.
    Good for UK students even better for foreign students.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    They’re a startup attempting to use tech to improve banking. They used to only do credit cards, but I think they’re now branching out into full accounts.

I think that the major draws have been a much more advanced online and app setup than most banks manage (which isn’t tough as most banks’ apps are shite), plus some funky things where they break down your spending for you at the end of each month, you can even set limits on certain types of spending without blocking others, IIRC.

They’re pretty popular in tech circles. I’ve been avoiding them as I’m happy to live in denial around how much I spend on beer each month.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I grabbed one last year as a few folk from work were using them, pretty cool stuff really, though Lloyds now offer most of the same extras. Card freezing (ad unfreezing) from phone app being the big one for me. So frustrating when you wait two days to report it stolen hoping you'll find it then find it a few hours after reporting it. Though at the same time I now use it as a budgeting account like I used to use credit cards for. Come payday I transfer as much as I want to spend onto the Monzo card and then I can keep well aware of what I'm spending on. I rarely use the debit card so money actually gets a chance to build up in there, rather than me doing a balance enquiry and sayting well maybe I don;t need to tighten the belt as much as I thought then spunking far too much on a fun weekend or pair of kicks
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    It was invite only but I think anyone can now, I just too kthe invire downloaded the app, scanned my driving license, and immediately a virtual card was attahced to Google Pay and two days later a neon ornage physical card arrived through post. Can't fault then really, the app also has stuff like Yolt where I can categorise my spending and see at the end of the month how much went on booze, transport, meals, groceries, clothes etc, which it picks up from the vebdor when yu ouse the card but you can edit as well. Can also run direct debits and paypla off it if when I choose so if some DDs are luxuries rather than essentials I run them from there so they come out of spending budget not total budget
  • My wife got a Monzo account for travelling last year (there are no charges abroad), but has found it increasingly useful since. The app works really well as cockbeard says (you can set spending limits and the like), and you can send money to other users extremely easily via Bluetooth.

The downside is that there is no physical bank, which makes it difficult to pay cheques or cash into your account.
  • But will we all be able to ppi them in the coming years?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Although if anyone is interested then pm a your email as there's a fiver recommendation bonus, so that's a free pint for you and a free half for me
  • The perk that struck me was the foreign spending one. I’d consider getting one just to save the details on my Russian eShop account.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Hi Andy. Off topic, but I read somewhere that you were considering taking a forum break? Just wanted to say I’d miss your posts, so purely for selfish reasons please don’t.

Edit: Not that one so much.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Monzo is great. I have the prepay card but will maybe switch to the full bank account in time.

Features are great, instantly freeze your card if it gets lost/stolen, you can now set up savings pots for things and have it put your virtual change into a pot after buying stuff. It's super easy to send money to other users and it has a pretty good split the bill took and now in some shops it saves the itemized list of what you bought, not just the amount spent. Also it categorises expenditure Y different categories so can see where your total money is going each month for example.

11/10 best online bank, pls don't fuck urselves over with too many shareholder cunts and that if you get popular tho. Thx.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Hi Andy. Off topic, but I read somewhere that you were considering taking a forum break? Just wanted to say I’d miss your posts, so purely for selfish reasons please don’t. Edit: Not that one so much.

Cheers. I really like the place, but think it’s sometimes better to not be here, for my own sake and the forum’s. Might just try sticking to certain threads.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Andy. Off topic, but I read somewhere that you were considering taking a forum break? Just wanted to say I’d miss your posts, so purely for selfish reasons please don’t. Edit: Not that one so much.

Cheers. I really like the place, but think it’s sometimes better to not be here, for my own sake and the forum’s. Might just try sticking to certain threads.

Harder said than done, but if something annoys you on here, before replying consider if there's any point. Is it more likely that you will get an unwelcome response or a positive one, and is the subject of such importance to you that you're willing to let it rile you up further?

I've been working on trying to just let things slide that might blow up if I engage with them, unless I think it really needs calling out
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    goobs u smel
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Does anyone here use a non-standard mouse for work?
    Trackball, trackball mouse, vertical mouse that kind of thing.

I'm finding with increased frequency that my mouse hand is fatiguing on intense work days.

Wrist gets lazy rather than painful (WANK JOKES) but my knuckles on my index and middle finger often ache.
  • One of the best things IMO is to get proficient in also using a mouse with the left hand, feels weird at first but you it's surprising how quickly you get used to it. Obviously a left handed or ambidextrous mouse is a good idea for this, as is a nice massive deskmat mousepad to sit the keyboard and both mice on either side IMO. I can probably recommend stuff if needed.

Other than trying to maximise keyboard shortcuts is a good idea, if you are able to offload commands assigned to mouse clicks to a keyboard key that can help. For example I recently added a shortcut in Reaper to start playing from the position of the mouse cursor, saving me having to middle click all over the place. Btw I've found that most middle buttons on mice are waay too stiff, the Sensei 310 (ambidextrous, for large hands) I have has a nice light middle click.

I've also got a Wacom tablet that I will swap in occasionally for a nice change, the touch and pen controls work well enough most of the time. And I'm planning on setting up custom voice controls and commands to move more interaction away from the desk.
  • I get carpal tunnel in my forearm from extended mouse use and I've tried multiple things to calm it. 

Vertical mouse didn't work very well for me, the weird hand position made micro movements, like when you are doing cut outs in Photoshop, much harder to control. 

A wacom tablet and pen was a bit better than a standard but still hurt. 

In the end I've settled on a combination of a epicondylitis forearm strap (that helps keep the tendons near the elbow straighter) and a larger Microsoft ergonomic mouse that fills my hand more.

The strap will not be much use for you I guess because your problem seems to be the repetitive clicking, I don't get pain in my fingers.

So, as gurt says, try to reduce the amount of clicks with macros or shortcuts somehow?
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!