Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    not 32x, the good bit underneath, the megabox
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • An ISA tracker fund can go up and down though, and you could see your gains wiped out and have to wait years for it to recover. If Reg is risk adverse then a cash isa (ok interest is poor but its tax free) might be a safer option? No?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Not with the timescales, unless you truly believe that capitalism will collapse in the next 20 years

edit: crosses fingers
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Anyone got an ultra wide monitor?  Might need one for some wfh stuff, but have no idea where to start.  

Looking at 21:9 sizes, I can see there are some at 2560x1080, but I thought that might be a bit too small considering normal 1080P screens don't have a lot of space.  3440x1440 ones seem like they're a lot more expensive though, and I definitely don't want to get up to something like a 34" screen size, so I guess 2560x1080 might be the only option?

I'm used to a 5120x2880 27" iMac, but there doesn't seem to be anything like that screen for less than a ridiculous sum.  

Is something like this going to be decent enough for giving me a sensible amount of screen real estate, without needing a TV-sized package?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    You can always just get 2 screens. Some come with really slight borders now. Graphics cards can make them into one screen. I never got over the novelty of dragging windows between screens. :)
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    ^ I'm with Davy, plus offfice clearances and stuff mean you can get them cheap as chips, and even bigger bezels like fifteen years ago your eyes quickly filter them out. Multi screen arranging is all baked into windows and super easy to set up your own custom setups. I'd often use strange layouts like two landscape side by side, and my own laptop centred underneath, or one portrait  and the other directly above the laptop
  • I'll have a peek at that instead; cheers both.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I got a Samsung ultrawide 1440p monitor for my home office and from a work perspective I wouldn't go back. Also depends on your use case as to whether you need one. It's main benefit is if you are dealing with a lot of data, big spreadsheets for example, which can make use of that screen real estate.
  • It's more organisation.  I tend to have a lot of things open at once, and the iMac makes that easy, but if I'm using a Windows laptop on a docking station I don't have that option.  Working on my 12" MacBook is frustrating for a lack of screen space.  One monitor does seem easier in terms of power and packaging than 2, especially if I end up with a crappy dock that only has one HDMI/DVI output.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    This the one I got. It’s great because it powers the Mac and also acts as a usb hub. It’s possibly too big though based on your comment. 

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/pc-monitors/pc-monitors/samsung-c34j791-quad-hd-34-curved-led-monitor-white-silver-10181380-pdt.html
  • I’ll echo what Davy said - dragging windows from one screen to another never, ever gets old. It always gives me a little sci-fi buzz.
  • Ultrawide displays give you a large continous workspace area which can be useful for some tasks, but having multiple monitors makes seperating the applications and projects easier, it's also a psychological thing of having this over here on this screen and that over there on the other. Different operating systems handle window snapping and placement a little differently, I like the way Win 10 does it for the most part, you drag a window to one side of the screen and it auto sizes it to take up half the display, Windows key + arrows do the same thing. I don't have experience of ultrawides but I imagine the snapping aspect and window management might be trickier unless MS have thought of that.

If I was you I would probably get a couple of nice big 4K or 1440p thin-bezel monitors, and perhaps a nice VESA adjustable stand. I'd like to get three monitors at some point too, two side by side and one above. Depending on what you do an ultrawide might be more useful though, there's some good videos on YT about the pros and cons, stuff you might not think about until you sit down and try it.
  • poprock wrote:
    I’ll echo what Davy said - dragging windows from one screen to another never, ever gets old. It always gives me a little sci-fi buzz.
    Same, feels like star trek.

• I've used laptops with additional screens, and iPads with Sidecar on MacOS and stuff so I do like that.  I don't want to spend too much or have too much permanent infrastructure over the kitchen table, so I initially thought just a single monitor would be better.  

I was thinking of something like this, but not sure if a larger monitor that's only 2560x1080 might not be too good.  For the 3440x1440 resolution ones, this seems like a decent bargain?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Aaah, communal area, I see why a single screen makes sense now, though a dual stand is still only moving one thing as opposed to two, but I think in those circumstances I'd take a single as well
  • Another question; do we have a university/learning thread?
  • Anyone remember the name of a clothing brand that was popular with football casuals/neds in the early 2000s that was pink polo shirts with a word across the chest?  I remember the word being an insult.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Hackett?
  • That's the one. It's an insult in Scotland.

Edit- Hackett.  Means "ugly".
  • Weekend Offender would've been my shout.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    So I'm looking to downgrade my Xbox pass to just pc and from what I've found online, it's "not possible" without cancelling and resubscribing. This seems insane - surely there is is a way, if anyone can point me to it I would be happy.
  • Speak to customer services mayber?
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    What's the issue with cancelling and resubscribing?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    What's the issue with cancelling and resubscribing?

Would have hoped there was an easier way
  • Does anyone here know anything about MS Access?  I've just inherited a virtual hellscape of a database.
  • Used to work with it a lot in my previous job, where I inherited a virtual hellscape of a database (that the local council spent £k’s on via a third party contractor). It’s been a long time though.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • I think you'll probably recognise a lot of what I've just seen...!  I don't know very much about Access, but I do know a little about SQL.

The folder with "the database" in it is full of files like:
    backup 2 of backup 2 (2) of DB
    backup of DB
    Special DB
    DB Shortcut

... and so on, to the tune of about 100-odd.  Different versions of the database all over the place.

What's confusing me is how Access works alongside an SQL DB.  Right now when I open a copy of the Access file, it looks like it tries to find an SQL DB to pull some links from.  It's just listed as a name; XYZ123SQL; with no hint as to a directory tree or where this thing lives.

It seems that SQL DB is the main data source, which then has me wondering why a relatively simple front end in Access is 125MB.  It looks like there are dozens and dozens of queries there, not sure if they're filling it up or something.

Any idea how Access talks to an SQL Server?  I want to find out where this server actually is, and how I work with it.  Right now people are just bodging their own copies of the Access DB, and it's one shove away from total failure.  If I can find where the raw data is I'm sure I could work something out, even if it's rewriting the front end a bit; but when it pops up a dialogue box asking how to link to an SQL DB I can't even find, I'm lost.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!