Pro Evolution Soccer 2013
‹ Previous123456712
  • Demo is on XBL marketplace and PSN now. Gonna give it a bash in a min...
  • my predictions for when i get on PSN:

i will download the demo, dreaming of a return to the PES glory days.
    i will play the demo, lamenting that it is still clunky and 'on-rails' and as bad as the last few versions...
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    I expect much the same, but it has been getting better...gradually.

Let us know your thoughts M.
  • I see you have learned much young steelwood
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • I'll always give a Pro Evo demo a chance.  Ah Burchet, Castello et al, how I have missed you so.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Aye, I'll give it a shot. Secretly hoping its brilliant as there's more chance of Rangers being in this than FIFA.

7%. Erk.
  • Webbins wrote:
    Burchet, Castello et al, how I have missed you so.

Ahhh, takes me back. Don't think I've played Pro Evo properly since the one with Collina on the front.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Bet this downloads like a dog later...
  • oh master league...the fading legend that was Minanda, the mighty Vornander at the back...then picking up the lanky left back Mathieu only to find out he's an absolute tank who develops into the most dominant midfielder of his generation....
  • Olimite wrote:
    I expect much the same, but it has been getting better...gradually.

Let us know your thoughts M.

It's definitely an improvement over the last few poor installments, fellas. Passing is much improved as is the ball physics. Player animations are still crap and I find that the CPU AI could be better I.e. it just lets me keep possession.

The tempo of the game is now played at a much slower, realistic pace which is enjoyable.

I love the shooting, scored a few crackers with Ronaldi earlier.

Its got that 'just one more game' factor which is promising.

• The demos are always poor. Like a different game almost. They shouldn't bother as no one is ever impressed by them. 

Pro MP beats FIFA but the Master League has become a mess of menus, tedious player progress reports and takes an age to get from one match to the other. I'd really like them to sort this out.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    Pro MP beats FIFA

Care to quantify this?
  • Yar but quickly as I'm heading out the office. 

I find it more unpredictable. FIFA settles fairly quickly into regular repeated patterns of ways of scoring goals. It doesn't have a high enough success rate of exploring other ways of playing to ever make it worthwhile. 

And, online, more people rely too heavily on tricks that you can't stop. 

Only my experience like.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Wasn't looking to start an argument, was just curious.

As far as set ways to score, not sure I agree. I score long-range shots, headers, free-kicks, (slag) tap-ins, volleys, route one goals, (slag) pace goals and goals where I'll keep the ball and just pass round/through them.

Bad players (and I'm not calling you one) will settle on one of a few ways to try and score - most of which are easy to stop. As for skill moves, I'd say about 95% of players I come up against have no real idea of how to use them. I agree that there are too many though, especially in Ultimate Team.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Fuck this game, it's like my Kryptonite. Every year I end up buying and hating the fucking thing. 

Also, where is Shindig?
  • It might be that I'm just not that good on FIFA. Most of my goals seem to come from knocking it down the wings on the counter, or a quick one-two to break the offside trap.
  • Fuck this game, it's like my Kryptonite. Every year I end up buying and hating the fucking thing.  Also, where is Shindig?

I haven't bought a Pro Evo game since 6.  The last few were awful.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I know. The same goes for FIFA too, the only time I enjoyed that was my spell playing the Be a Pro thing. Eleven a side was great fun.
  • I have enjoyed the last few FIFAs if I am being honest but the only mode I play is Unranked 2v2 with a friend on a Friday or Saturday evening.  Don't touch the Career Mode as I think it's a bit poo which is a shame because I really enjoyed the Pro Evo Master League back in the day.

Anyone else tried this demo yet?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Just had my first game. Is the difficulty set to 'Scotland' or what? The AI don't seem to want to put a challenge in unless you're in the box. I enjoyed it anyway, it seems easier to control the ball into space with the right trigger. I won two nil as England against Portugal, hitting the bar and post.

That gets me thinking, does anyone reckon they've dicked around with the shooting to ensure you always hit the target/woodwork with every shot? It give you the impression if an exciting game but I think the real thing will see me spooning shots wide from six yards like the last one did.

I'm sure Football Manager fiddles with the demo too, I won every game I played in the demo, once I but the real thing I can't get a win to save my life, despite having a better side, more of the ball, more shots on target etc.
  • Haha yeah it's far too easy isn't it.  Whilst I am not scoring loads of goals, I can keep the ball for fun.  Had 68% possession in my first match for God's sake.
  • oddly, i quite liked this.  it still seemed to have many flaws, but they seemed less annoying.  i'm actually quite tempted based on the initial play through.  i could go on and on about various things, but in summary, i think this...
    the great thing about the old PES is that they were great games that felt like football...but recently both PES and FIFA have been trying to be a simulation...FIFA has done this better, but i think it's now got to the stage where playing it is actually hard work, and you're more concerned with not losing the ball and trying not to get beat than having fun (which is why i don't play any of the single player modes anymore).  Now maybe it's just the easy skill level in the demo, but this PES seemed a bit more easy going, a bit more enjoyable, with that old sense of the PES penchant for the sublime and ridiculous.

It was also 'good' to see that some things PES never change: the post match player ratings still appear to be total bobbins, and sliding tackles still follow the classic rules of 'yellow card if you play the ball, good tackle if you snap the opponent'
  • Straight red if you go throught the back of John Terry.

Was worth it.
  • John Terry looks like a zombie in the game.

Also, did anyone else find it quite hard to watch the intro scenes?  i don't know if it was just a lack of depth of field or blurring, but there seemed to be a razor sharpness to the edge of the models that was actually quite uncomfortable to look at... or maybe that's just one of the lesser known symptoms of having the flu! :)
  • Yep, noticed the harshness, also lolled at the fish mouth miming to the national anthem, best simulation eva.

I quite enjoyed it, only had the one game but it felt less clinical than FIFA as said, and all the more enjoyable for it.  I last played PES2008, migrated to FIFA09 which I really enjoyed but after FIFA10 less so, after the FIFA11 demo I pretty much went on a football game hiatus.  This could tempt me back at £20-25.

My game ended 1-1 but the goals scored felt like old school PES goals, a bagged a decent 20 yarder with Ashley Young, whether by accident or design, the shooting animation looked exactly like Young's action.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • I thought the intro graphics were horrendous. They've fallen so far behind FIFA in almost every aspect of the game now it's staggering.

Having said that, if there's a save file that'll automatically give everyone the right names and kits, and I can create a Whitley Bay FC team from sfratch and bring them up to the CL final, I might just buy this anyway. FIFA's far too bloody complicated these days for noob like me.
  • adored wrote:
    I thought the intro graphics were horrendous. They've fallen so far behind FIFA in almost every aspect of the game now it's staggering. Having said that, if there's a save file that'll automatically give everyone the right names and kits, and I can create a Whitley Bay FC team from sfratch and bring them up to the CL final, I might just buy this anyway. FIFA's far too bloody complicated these days for noob like me.

I'm with adored on this.

My mate's just played the demo and says it's so far behind FIFA in a lot of ways – but the way it plays is actually fun. If that's the case, and the Master League works properly – I'm in.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    oh master league...the fading legend that was Minanda, the mighty Vornander at the back...then picking up the lanky left back Mathieu only to find out he's an absolute tank who develops into the most dominant midfielder of his generation....

Lol!
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Don't care about the Master League, but as I fun alternative to Fifa, I could be tempted.
  • I had fun with this yesterday and it's the first PES I've enjoyed for a long, long time.

Still reckon FIFA will be the better game this year but as Oli says, it's great to have an alternative and maybe EA will try a bit harder with their releases if Konami step it up like the good ol' days.

2v2 Ranked matches will be the highlight of PES this year for me.  Definitely worth a rental at least.

Oh and this PES demo is very early code according to some sources so I'm hoping they will iron a few things out by release day.
‹ Previous123456712

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!