Emulation
  • What's the worst that could happen... (*types bank details into seemingly innocuous website*)
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • A question about MAME before I go googling. 
    My experience with it is of old,old games. Maybe up as far as the 16bit era. 
    Does it actually work with more recent games? How recent and would you need a fairly powerful computer to run the more recent stuff?
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Has the SNESBox site been here yet? Seems to be  legal disaster but at the minute seems to be a fully functional, fast and effective SNES in a flash window on any browser. IT bods will be killing it everywhere I imagine.. 

A decent full screen mode, log in for save states, full online mp available (forum MarioKart tourney? Maria obviously excluded.. hehe)… Oddly functional it seems? 

I can only imagine the site will be dead in a week or so but by god someone has been working well on it. Might have to get a classic bestest Metroid running in stead of blowing and licking on the crusty carts in the loft. Off to check if the 2012 Smart Plasmatrons flashplayer is up to the job…

EDIT: 2012 Panasonic SMART flash player is not up to date it seems. Would need a OTA update from Panasonic which won't happen. To get a SNES emulator on the jumbotron would require digging out the HDMI adapter and long cable again… or rooting through the loft. Or not really bothering.. keyboard and Mario were never a good mix. Anyone got a pad connected to their pc willing to test this a bit more?
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • Got a wired 3rd party xbox 360 pad in my PC and it doesn't work with this emu.
    You rang.....
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Goes without saying to not put yer card details obviously. Seems it costs a dollar to remove or somesuch daftness. I wasn't asked and not sure when you'd need to enter details as it appears to be free so far in the bits I've had a quick bosh at? Haven't registered myself but it seems to have 40,000 punters on it and been around for a year or so by all accounts. Seems a legal oddity/ too small to bother to prosecute as the emu software is not a problem per se and the ROMs aren't technically being distributed… ish… 

Seems pads can be tricky to get to recognise? 

Reports that Osculator should work to get a classic Wii controller synced up on OSX. 
    Spoiler:
    Or you can use Gamepad Companion (free app in the Apple App Store) to sync up PS3 or XBox pads (wired or with wireless receiver dongle) to your OSX.

Mentions of USB Snes pads off of ebay or USB adapters off of Amazon getting bandied about too. No PC knowhow after years of Apple dependance sadly.. Surprised the wired XBox pad isn't recognised outta the box though. Must be some configurations for Win as well?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

Given the WiiU launch I'd have though that any online SNES-related emu jiggery pokery would be soon shafted if at all possible.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • presumably it'll work with any joystick/pad if you use joy2key to translate the buttons to keyboard events.

I used to do that quite a bit with a parrallel > snes pad adapter that i made
  • Emulating on a PSP is great. SNES, MD and GBA games look amazing on that screen.

I use my PSP for emulation, the SNES one isn't great though. Sound seems off on a lot of games and there are some graphical glitches.

N64 is awful on it too, booting up Mario 64 results in massive slow down on that interactive face, can't get much further than that.

Everything else is excellent though from what I remember
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Found this btw for your SNESBOX pad troubles,

It just came up in a pop up window when I plugged it in. I was in the middle of a game and decided to see if it would work and it did. Can't find a webpage for it, so try connecting a controller mid game and see if you get the pop up telling you to install the gamepad file."

Could try that Lurch?

Edit: Or this as an extra hint?

"it works perfectly with an Xbox controller (the PC version at least) once you download that extra little program that's available under 'Configure gamepad' when you're playing a game. Run program -> reopen the game -> configure gamepad, press the buttons on your pad, and it's perfect."
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    This popped up on the internet - figured it could go here. It's all about Macs and emulation but it covers a good bit of hardware/adapters for old pads to USB.

http://mattgemmell.com/2013/03/02/playing-nintendo-games-on-a-mac/
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • I have only ever used nullDC a few years back.
    It worked but only on certain games if your rig was up to the task. 
    Dunno how the situation is now.

Not too sure about PS2 or GC emulation either.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • I'm currently downloading Xenoblade to try at 1080p on Dolphin.

I believe it will read my existing save file as well so that's nice.
  • What sort of spec does dolphin need to run well?
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • How do the hell do they make something that looks terrible on the Wii look like a modern HD game on the PC?

Must be witchcraft.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
  • There's a retron 4 thats just been annoucned that has all the above plus extra pad ports, a GBA slot, HDMI out and has PAL/NTSC compatibility.

EDIT: Your link is actually to that news story, just saw the 3 model in the pic and thought I'd let you all know about 4.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • mrsmr2 wrote:

One of the features listed on Dolphin:
    •Anti-Aliasing and Anisotropic Filtering makes the games more brilliant and realistic. Typically a game looks much better on Dolphin than on the original Wii console. Actual quality depends on the graphics card.

Didn't N64 have Anti-Aliasing? Wasn't that a big deal in 1996? You know, like a big reason to own N64>PS? No wonder No More Heroes looks like shit.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Yeah but it's an intensive process, and always the first thing you'll turn down on a PC game after shadows. I still need to get Dolphin so I can go through Viewtiful Joe again.
  • mrsmr2 wrote:

•Anti-Aliasing and Anisotropic Filtering makes the games more brilliant and realistic. Typically a game looks much better on Dolphin than on the original Wii console. Actual quality depends on the graphics card.

Didn't N64 have Anti-Aliasing? Wasn't that a big deal in 1996? You know, like a big reason to own N64>PS? No wonder No More Heroes looks like shit.

The n64 had Some sort of edge blurring mechanism. Unfortuneately it was shit. The Wii versions look much better with upscaled polygons.

• mrsmr2 wrote:

The n64 had Some sort of edge blurring mechanism. Unfortuneately it was shit. The Wii versions look much better with upscaled polygons.

I do remember Mario 64 looking very sharp on the Wii, sharper than most Wii games actually.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Dolphin doesn't make things look better simply because of AA though.  The textures must already be in the game.  It's just the Wii that displays them really craply.

Xenoblade looks rubbish on both my CRT and Plasma and things normally look really good on a CRT due to the low resolution.  Yet, I can blow up the same crappy Wii game to a ridiculous resolution and it looks HD on Dolphin. 

Just shows how crap the Wii really is and it must really kill the developers and artists as hardly anyone will see how the game can look.
  • I thought xenoblade looked good for a Wii game.
  • It's jaggy as hell and textures look rough.  Nothing wrong with the scope of the graphics and Bionis Leg is beautiful - just don't look too close.

I still can't see how I can blow up a game from 640 * 528 to 1920 * 1080 and it looks better.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Is there any MAME site that clearly links to MAME versions and roms? My understanding is that certain versions of mame run with certain roms but I can't see any clear way of telling which is which, hence about 80% of the roms I have won't run.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Is it not the case the latest version runs everything the previous one did?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Seemingly not, no. It's a mess.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    That retron device looks nice but really - those consoles are all solid state and will in all liklihood see all of us out - my 2600 woody is still going after 30 years. There are original California assembled heavy sixers from the late 70's still going. The dreaded bit rot will set in one day but these consoles aren't the issue.

It's the optical drives that are the nightmare for the hoarder/collector. The DC is a particular issue with its noisy drive that sounds like there's half a dozen loose screws rattling around in its innards.

DC forumites have many stories of failed units and I'd be more interested in something that takes an off-the-self drive unit and serves those formats - or - even better in these giga-usb-stick times - a solid state alternative.

The DC has a USB mod but it runs slower than the optical drive so is at best a curio.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Kow wrote:

It is a mess....but there are bods on eBay who will send you discs of ROMs for a named version - a few quid for an awful lot of saved dicking about with versions of ROMS.

The basic problem is that the MAME purists are constantly moving toward more and more accurate emulation which - they claim - is the aim of the project - not - as many of us rather it was - a way of playing old games.

This means that as emulation becomes more accurate, new modules that used to work with certain romsets no longer do the business - or sometimes run so slow as to make them unusable.

The team have even removed support of hiscore.dat which was a really nice feature for old-school score obsessives like me.

Stuart Campbell has a good old rant about it here. This is quite dated now but the principle is the same.
    http://worldofstuart.excellentcontent.com/mameover.htm

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!