The TV you like thread
  • I like that Gaiman made sure that TP's hat and scarf were up front on an empty seat for the premier. Nice touch.
  • Gremill wrote:
    MattyJ wrote:
    Gremill wrote:
    Deadwood the movie hitting Sky Atlantic on Saturday is the best news I've had in years, cocksuckers.

What? I assumed that was years off!

ld5ap.jpg

Awesome. Will have to get on that.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    My brother’s considering a NowTV sub. Seeing as he’s leeching off my Netflix sub this means I may actually be able to watch this, plus all the other HBO stuff I’ve been missing out on.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Yes, it was superb.  I actually thought that was the end of S1 but I binged 1 and 2 together so I'm a bit woolly about what happened when.

They have chosen a strange way to adapt the books. That moment in season 2 is actually the end of book 1. Book 2 is covered in the second half of season 2 and the first half of season 3. It all gets a bit confusing but explains why the middle episodes of the series are often brilliant!
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • I do wonder where this diversification of TV is going to end up. Its getting ridiculous now. So we have Netflix, Amazon, Sky, Disney, Apple and the stupid Britbox as streaming subscription viewing methods. Thats just the UK. USA have even more, Hulu, CBS etc. As much as competition is great, for once I'm in favour of a monopoly or a duopoly owning all the content.

I cant afford to pay for more than Netflix and Sky (the latter was only for F1 and GOT) and the stupid BBC TV licence. No wonder piracy is so rampant and I only expect it to increase with more providers siloing their own content.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Copyright laws should change.

IMO, new TV shows and films should have copyright periods that last an absolute maximum of three years after they are first released or broadcast, it should then be legal to host them for streaming, but with a set payment to the copyright holder (probably a minimum/percentage type deal). Let me pay £30-£40 per month to watch anything more than 3 years old and let the companies compete on features.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    I do wonder where this diversification of TV is going to end up. Its getting ridiculous now.

I reckon we’re getting into a weird situation where there will be a revival of the old role of ‘cable company’, US-style. Either your ISP, or some new entity, will bundle up various streaming subscriptions and sell you a package at one monthly price.

Sky sort of do this. Virgin Media sort of do this. BT sort of do this. Nobody here is doing it properly yet, and the need will get more pronounced once we have Apple and Disney in the mix. (Apple will never take part, I reckon.)
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’m pretty sure that this was Apple’s vision for Apple TV but they couldn’t get the copyright holders on board.
  • Unless it's a specific niche, I don't see the point from a consumer standpoint of 100 million services.

Whats the difference between Now TV, Amazon and Netflix?

Hopefully all these new provider only ones crash and burn.
  • Each service needs to differentiate to compete with the others. Logically, they all want to differentiate by offering exclusive content. Which leads to us consumers getting screwed if we want to watch content from different services.

Ideally, as consumers, we want access to all the content in one place or for one price.

That leaves us at an impasse. What’s best for us isn’t what’s best for the businesses.

It’d be nice if they started to share content (by licensing it to each other). Maybe you could watch a Netflix series on Amazon, say six months later. Or for a limited time before it reverted to Netflix exclusivity as back catalogue content.

I dunno. I’d like to see the services sharing content and competing on price, delivery, and interface/experience instead. Can’t see the business case for them doing that, though.
  • pantyfire wrote:
    I_R wrote:
    Skerret wrote:
    Ep 4 of Cher Noble down and it's just really really good.
    Depressing, but brilliant. Some haunting stuff there.
    Spoiler:
    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/gallery/2011/apr/26/chernobyl-nuclear-disaster-in-pictures

The picture of that deformed child. Jesus. Glad hes living a normal life now.
  • Everyone thinks their own stuff is so good that they can charge for access to it. In most cases it's not. It's no good even having one big thing. You need a range.

If businesses accepted that it's fine to make some money rather than all of the money, they wouldn't bother spending the ridiculous expense of building their own platform, and they'd just sell it on.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I'm not sure I like the narration in this new Good Omens thing.
  • Up to episode 6 of Babylon 5 season 1. I take it, it's a slow starter cause so far it's been boring. Best thing about it is Julia Nickson (had to Google her). If memory serves the first season of DS9 wasn't great either.

On a sidenote it's interesting they have an insect character on Babylon 5. I recall the original premise for the Borg was that they were going to be an insect race, but it was too expensive to shoot them as such.

Also like that not all the characters breathe oxygen.
  • Kow wrote:
    I'm not sure I like the narration in this new Good Omens thing.

I quite liked it, made it feel booky.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Up to episode 6 of Babylon 5 season 1. I take it, it's a slow starter cause so far it's been boring. Best thing about it is Julia Nickson (had to Google her). If memory serves the first season of DS9 wasn't great either.

On a sidenote it's interesting they have an insect character on Babylon 5. I recall the original premise for the Borg was that they were going to be an insect race, but it was too expensive to shoot them as such.

Also like that not all the characters breathe oxygen.
    Doesn't really get good until season 2 imo.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yep. Some important arc setup stuff but S2 onwards is where it’s at. Stick at it Dino the pay off is worth it.
  • Christ, you watching it on VHS?
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    Christ, you watching it on VHS?

Sky one
  • Season 1 is very hit and miss. The main story arc episodes set the scene, slowly. The stand alone episodes are a mixture of interesting and dumb.

Stick with it because the character development over the next three years is amazing.

Year 5 is dodgy because they didn’t think they’d get the final year agreed so put both year 4 and 5 stories into the one year. Year 4 ends up being stellar because of that.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Though year 5 does end well I felt.

And season 4...

Don’t click the spoiler Dino!!
    Spoiler:

Hopefully by the end of it you’ll realise how much a better story arc and character development is than DS9.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    Christ, you watching it on VHS?

Sky one

Oh.
  • Sky are drip feeding the episodes this may take awhile
  • I had the vhs collection - stupidly expensive, still can’t quite justify that to myself.
    Now have the dvds. I put them all on my psp and watched them while commuting.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    This Deadwood thing - can I drive straight in with the movie or what?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Seems unlikely you would, but you should definitely watch the series anyway, it’s great.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I’m working through it on hols. Only got a few episodes into series 2
  • Fucking sky the pricks. I have episodes 1-9 of Babylon 5 then it jumps to episode 15 then episode 19. I mean wtf?!? They arent even available to download as sky boxsets. Fucking useless company.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Watched the first three episodes of Good Omens, it’s beautifully made, but it isn’t pulling me in as a must watch, some moments make me chuckle, but it all feels very flat. I had similar feelings when I tried to read the book.

Pratchett’s stuff has never hit the mark with me, so maybe no surprise I’m not into it.
    Things can only get better.
  • What is the title of ep 19? Technically that should be the 2nd part of a 2 part episode.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!