The TV you like thread
  • And I'm a big girl's blouse.
  • davyK wrote:
    There was a "follow-me-around" film of Grace Jones on over the weekend. Bonkers woman.  Far better singing voice than I remember though.

There's a memorable scene of her singing slave to the rhythm on stage while hula hooping with those mile long pins on show. Quite the thing.

Pull up to the Bumper is one of my go to karaoke tunes. And I own that shit.
  • Killing eve s1 done. Good fun.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Watching Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman is like stubbing a toe on the fucking Rosetta Stone for whole canon of weird/hilarious/meta US TV shows, yer Peaks included. Can't quite believe it passed me by for this many decades. One for the real heads.
  • Watching Elementary on Prime. 

Detective *tick
    Holmes *tick
    Lucy *tick

It's not amazing TV but it's watchable.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Totally agree with that. Me and the Mrs watched Elementary as an ‘easy’ option between more full-on shows. It’s extremely competent television but it never becomes great.
  • I watched a few series of it and really enjoyed it too. Only stopped when got rid of sky.
    "The Mentalist" is my favourite of those types though i reckon.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • VPN winning again. Catching up on the expanse again. Starting s1 again because I can't remember what happens.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Some bad acting and terrible dialogue?
  • Meh. Passable.
  • FAO London badgers: Coke/Netflix are doing a one-day pop-up retro arcade in Spitalfieds to promote Stranger Things season three.

Free entry, free tokens to play the games. Hidden ‘Upside-down’ room that you can follow clues to find.

Coca-Cola-x-Stranger-Things-Campaign-Image-Low-Res.jpg
    Date: Thursday 11th July 2019

Opening Hours: 11am – 9pm (last entry 8.30pm)

Location: The Coca-Cola and Stranger Things Arcade, Shop 4, Brick Lane, Spitalfields, E1 6QR

Nearest Tube Station: Liverpool Street / Old Street / Shoreditch High Street

Event: Coca-Cola and Stranger Things welcome fans to experience the famous Arcade in London, offering the chance to play the original arcade games featured in the series and collect a limited-edition Coca-Cola x Stranger Things Upside Down can*

T&C Overview: Entry to the Arcade is free. Visitors will be provided with Coca-Cola x Stranger Things tokens to play the arcade games.

*Only 800 ‘Upside-down’ Coca-Cola cans are available on a first come, first serve basis. Those aged under 16 must be accompanied by an adult.
  • Over the weekend I discovered that Amazon Prime has the first two series of "Documentary Now!" - the faux documentary series cooked up by Bill Hader and Fred Armisen. I've binged both series since, as it's absolutely superb. To give you an idea, by far the weakest episode is a pretty much perfect pastiche of Stop Making Sense, which fails only because (a) it's hard to invent fake Talking Heads tracks and (b) Stop Making Sense doesn't have a story. But that's pretty much it.

Each episode is utterly different to the last, but apes a classic documentary - it helps if you've seen the originals (ones I recognised - The Kid Stays in the Picture, Nanook of the North, Grey Gardens, Swimming to Cambodia, as well as various generic "types") but it's definitely not essential. My favourite, for instance, is one called "Juan Likes Chicken and Rice" which is based on "Jiro Dreams of Sushi" - a film I've never seen, but fully intend to track down based on this brief (surprisingly touching) spoof version alone.

The attention to detail is incredible, the direction apes the source meticulously, and Hader in particular frequently disappears into his subjects. I dare say everyone else watched these ages ago, but for anyone interested in film (or just new ways of telling silly jokes), if you haven't seen Documentary Now! I absolutely recommend it.
  • Documentary Now is fantastic.
    I've only seen a few so thanks for the Amazon heads up.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Watching Documentary Now...errr...now.  The El Chingon ep is absolutely hilarious, so thanks for the heads-up, Tin.
    Get schwifty.
  • Enjoying the Expanse even more second time around for first series.  Can't remember if I finished it last time, so think I'm entering new stuff for my about 5 eps in.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    It'll be time for a Nightflyers rewatch soon.
  • Facewon wrote:
    Enjoying the Expanse even more second time around for first series.  Can't remember if I finished it last time, so think I'm entering new stuff for my about 5 eps in.
    It's great, I need to start the third series soon.
    It'll be time for a Nightflyers rewatch soon.
    I'm 4 episodes in, it's distinctly average.

Gamertag: gremill
  • Raiziel wrote:
    Watching Documentary Now...errr...now.  The El Chingon ep is absolutely hilarious, so thanks for the heads-up, Tin.

It's a great episode.
    "I'm standing in a typical hallway and this is as far as I can extend my arms"
  • Push on Grem, its worth it.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Raiziel wrote:
    It's a great episode. "I'm standing in a typical hallway and this is as far as I can extend my arms"

“Their dog is a chicken.”

(Glad you’re enjoying it)
  • "That's a first gen Playstation"
    "Why do you have have two copies of Anger Management?"
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    "Why do you have have two copies of Anger Management?"

That line had me bursting with laughter.
    Get schwifty.
  • Legion S3 starts this week. I’m well up for that.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Yes, well in!
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Season 4 of Fear The Walking Dead is like TWD at its best. What a surprise.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Season 4 of Fear The Walking Dead is like TWD at its best. What a surprise.

I’ve been saying it for ages :)

He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    It really is. Characters, plot, story all excellent. It feels like a Zombie film should feel. And no Negen shit.
  • It might be the drink talking, but I think Harry Hills Alien Fun Capsule might be one of the greatest Saturday night TV shows ever made.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Never heard of it, will be looking into that later.
  • I'm checking it out now. Turns out I'm definitely still into Martine McCutcheon.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!