Compilations - Where are they now?
‹ Previous12
  • When I was young, compilations were king.  Gaining a place in a compilation meant that your game was one of the best around, and buying a compilation meant you were assured four or five top quality games.  As time has gone on, though, that seems to have passed. I last saw a proper compilation (four or five unique games rather than two or three from the same franchise) on the PlayStation.  The exception would be the compilations that Sega, Namco and Midway churn out on every possible platform.  Even by the days of PlayStation, the 'compilations' were usually just two budget titles garnering a few sales at the end of a console's life.  I'm not sure why things have changed.

My two favourites were Live Ammo (The Great Escape, Top Gun, Green Beret, Rambo: First Blood Part II, and Army Moves) and Wheels of Fire (Chase HQ, Hard Drivin', Power Drift and Turbo Out Run) both on the ZX Spectrum.  What were yours?
  • i thought steam have loads..
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • They're bundles and only there for sale purposes, not really the same thing.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    HD packs?
  • Tempy wrote:
    They're bundles and only there for sale purposes, not really the same thing.

compilations were bundles of games sold together to make more sales.

Or am I missing something?

He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • I've seen a couple of double packs, Halo 3/ Fable 2 was one. They are normally twice the price of just buying the two games on their own.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    THQ did a Metro and Darksiders double bubble a couple of months back. I think it was £12.99 or there about.

I remember one on the megadrive that had World Cup Italia 90 in it. Fucking woeful.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    There was that Sonic Tennis / Fuel / Tomb Raider one for charidee
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I remember Soft Aid. Best compilation ever.
  • Probably not, steam bundles just feel different to me, they are just separate games sold together like a 2 for 10 deal that you'd get in a shop, as Steam
    Is a shop not a publisher, whereas a compilation is a bunch of titles specifically picked and slung together on a disk or cart.

• I had the Wheels of Fire bundle of which you speak. Compilations were essential stuff back then, I guess publishers don't feel it's worth their time when they have the latest triple A blockbuster to plug. Ubisoft released double packs of their Tom Clancy back catalogue, probably to piggyback Future Soldier's release. There was also the Metro 2033/Darksiders pack of note recently.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • adkm's example wasn't all on one disk..

If we're going by your criteria then Mario Allstars + SMW on the same cart is the best.

Or the orange box.
  • Fair enough, I never said I agreed with him, just what my opinion of a steam sale bundle was
  • mk, they weren't one disk/tape, no, but they generally squeezed four or five games onto two or three disks/tapes, because they were specifically bundled and marketed together in one box by the publisher.  As Tempy says, Steam generally lumps things together as a deal.  I'm maybe being too specific, but I don't see HD remakes or two games from the same franchise as a true compilation.  To me, to be in the same spirit as the compilations of old, you need three to five games from different franchises.  I'm not saying they don't exist at all any more, just that they're not as prevelant as they used to be.
  • There was a spectrum one with arkanoid, batman, head over heels, came with the machine when you got it through dixons. Was mazing.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    There's been at least two possibly three XBLA Arcade discs. PopCap and Sega have done them recently as well.
  • Yeah, the Xbox Live Hits Collection with Limbo,Trials HD, and Splosion Man has to be one of the best compilations of late. Damn good price on Amazon.
  • sega have a collection out for 360. MD collection or something? Not really hand picked though, more just the titles they have rights to and that were any good.
  • I had one on the Spectrum where the first game was Wizball (which I only played to get to the second game), and the second game was Head Over Heels.  

I cannot remember what was on the rest of the tape, but there were 6 games.  I think the first game on the other side was Frankie Goes to Hollywood, which was about as fucking mentally surreal as Spectrum games got.

We also picked up one of those "100 games on 10 tapes!"  collections when I first got the Spectrum.  Thing is, as an 8 year old, I couldn't understand how you loaded the second or consecutive games.  Did you leave the tape running?  Did you have to know the filename, and say LOAD "GAME3", and let the tape play right until the end of GAME3?

Then one day my dad figured out you could play through the tape to the right point, and I could finally play the other 90 of those games.  They were all shit.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Those 50 games on one cassette things were absolute drivel. You just about saved yourself the effort of writing them yourself in basic.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Was looking into these and found a fascinating piece by the guy that wrote the Ocean Loader.

http://www.pauliehughes.com/page3/page3.html
  • mod, did you see my pm?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    No, I keep missing when I've got one as I only get the number change up above.

As it wasn't a particularly private conversation then I'll answer here. The OP updating is still all skew wiff. It'll save some changes not others. Hopefully once Petey has his holidays we can get to the bottom of it.
  • Carmageddon & X-Com (not sure which one) & Ecstatica 2 was a nice deal on the PC. I got plenty of play out of those.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    No, I keep missing when I've got one as I only get the number change up above.

As it wasn't a particularly private conversation then I'll answer here. The OP updating is still all skew wiff. It'll save some changes not others. Hopefully once Petey has his holidays we can get to the bottom of it.

cheers

• zx4.jpg

AMAZING.
    Except Short Circuit. That was shit.
  • @elmlea
    I still have this, I refuse to let it go. Frankie was all kinds of craziness. Arkanoid and Green Beret, wow, what games they were.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Holly Johnson is still alive.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Pixel Nation had a feature about those olden days 50 Games on 1 Cassette things, I thought it was pretty interesting.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • I remember a "101 Games" one for Windows 95 we got in a bargain bin in Dixons. Had one on it called "Another Pool" that I spent hours and hours on. Really wish I could play it again, in fact.
  • There's one with Renegade on too.
‹ Previous12

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!