EDGE: Christ on a bike, it’s a knuckle sando!
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    It certainly makes more sense to me to pick and choose from the smorgasbord of game writing on the web than have everything filtered through one outlets voice. Even if you can't easily read it on the bog.
  • I still subscribe but haven't read the last 3 issues.

I don't like the new format, the entire last 1/4 of the mag particularly.

Annoying because I still have space in my life for a paper games mag, it's just new EDGE isn't doing it for me anymore :(
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • I've still got my sub. Much like others my interest has waned but it looks half decent on a tablet so I'll keep reading on the move or even on the bog, Mod.
    3DS: 2105-8748-8084 Switch: SW-3316-5834-8308 PSN: aynsleyw
  • What Gonzo said.

What's Eurogamer?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I've read Edge since issue 1, and subscribed for god knows how long.  i used to read it cover to cover, then in later years would filter out some of the 'duller' stuff but still read all the games stuff, but in recent times i barely skim through it and it's got to the stage where i should really cancel my sub.  i don't really have a problem with the magazine itself, i just don't find the time to read it anymore...it probably has a lot to do with the fact that my general interest in and time for games has dwindled too, and also that so much of the news is already known from t'internet etc, but generally i just don't have the free time to spend reading it.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Mod74 wrote:
    Even if you can't easily read it on the bog.

My iPad, and my phone solve this problem. I regularly skim through my RS feeds when I'm on the throne.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    In addition, I started reading Edge at about age 28. I was coming back into video gaming hard after being away for a bit and EDGE provided a bit of validfation. No, games weren't just for kids and there were intelligent/interesting/grown up conversations to be had about their creation.

Nowadays I don't give a fuck about any of that stuff and quite happily wear the shit free T-shirts I get with games when I go out.
  • That is because you is married Mod and you don't have to impress the ladies by looking dapper. 

Though you looked suave on the wedding pics..
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Of everything the suits were far and away the hardest to organise.

Back on topic, what EDGE desperately needs, and this forum to a much lesser extent, is some new gen goodies to sink our teeth into/mercilessly bitch about.
  • Agreed Mod, we need a new generation even if to sit there and say "ffs I'm fine with this gen"
  • I only ever buy Edge when I know i'm getting on a plane for the take off and landing part where you have to switch off my 3DS all electronical devices.

Around a year ago i saw a really good deal on a Retrogamer sub, i think it was 3 issues for 3 pounds. God knows what i'm paying now but i didn't cancel it and i quite like it. More for the content than the delivery.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    The Last Guardian.

It's our last hope.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    That game doesn't exist
  • Gonzo wrote:
    Do you know how we feel now? In the heyday of the edge forums, we had 20 page threads about stories in games, art, characters, mechanics, bla bla bla. Being a little bit downs, I used to have 1000 word posts and get into heated arguments about this shit. five years later and I really couldn't give a flying little fuck. Someone posts an "is it art wot" thread and they get skewered. Imagine if it was your job to write about games in a semi-intelligent, somewhat incisive manner. And you've been doing it a dozen years. Edge, editorially, is a bit tired. It gets by, but if it wants to be read for its substantive content, rather than habit and seeing what's what, it should change. But it's still head and shoulders above the competition. Even digital. When's the last time you actually read, attentively, a eurogamer piece? I must average 45s an item, skim reading the skullfuck out of everything. I tend to follow this community's recommendations. Eg Day Z. Now I'm watching it on youtube. Cos I sure as hell don't have time to play it.

Ironically, what with the whole indie explosion, there's never been a better time to examine video games as an art-form in more detail. Many people now seem to be willing, and able, to create more experimental works. We're seeing some that spark arguments over what can actually be defined as a "game". We're seeing games being created that are intended to be satirical or parodical. We are seeing more people attempt to make traditional games that have some kind of sub-textual meaning embedded into them.

There is a nice amount of coverage for these sorts of things (in Edge) and I've found the interviews with people like Jason Rohrer (even though I've never bothered playing any of his games) much more interesting than the usual self-marketing bullshit you get from the big developers. I like the Tadhg Kelly and Steven Poole columns as well. I'd rather they just expanded on this sort of stuff and left all the boring shit about technology alone.
    You really are fond of chatting with me, aren't you? If I didn't know better, I'd think you had feelings for me!
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Some of the stuff could be interesting if you're a developer. I'm not, so it bores the fuck out of me.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    mk64 wrote:
    I only ever buy Edge when I know i'm getting on a plane for the take off and landing part where you have to switch off my 3DS all electronical devices.

Around a year ago i saw a really good deal on a Retrogamer sub, i think it was 3 issues for 3 pounds. God knows what i'm paying now but i didn't cancel it and i quite like it. More for the content than the delivery.

I have a Retro Gamer sub - fine Making of Tempest article this issue.

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Retro Gamer is the only paper gaming media I buy/read these days.

EDGE has been a pretentious load of twaddle for a while now.
  • Been with Edge since day & one stopped collecting a year or so ago. Other gaming mags died away years ago. My reason for the drop was nowt to do with how it was written etc though I was a little miffed when Biffo left & by the Facebook push, just feel I had moved on & truth be told, this place, the other place & the older other place covers/covered all the bases I need/ed.

Only read Empire on the shitter now.
  • I'm really trying to force myself to read through the latest issue. But it's not easy.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    What's the difficulty?
  • Hardcore mode, if you give up you have to start from the beginning again.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    What the fuck is with people on this forum making me laugh while i'm drinking tea.
  • I'll read Edge again when they charge less than £100-odd for an international subscription.  Until then, I'm lucky that Game Informer's actually pretty good.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Elmlea wrote:
    I'll read Edge again when they charge less than £100-odd for an international subscription.  Until then, I'm lucky that Game Informer's actually pretty good.

You could read it on the websi- oh.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    Gonzo wrote:
    mmm nasty bitch. Anyone watch the Boondocks Uncle Ruckus life story episode. It's on youtube. Recommendo Ultimo.
    What episode name is it? I've never seen it and there are lots.

More on topic, I still read Edge.
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
  • The last Good Anime.
  • I don't like the new format, the entire last 1/4 of the mag particularly.

that last part of the mag does nothing for me either. since ditching hard copies for tablet downloads i don't even worry about skimming, it's really not for me.

'not really for me' sums up an awful lot of Edge's content at the moment - reviews have all been read by the time the issue has been released, and the up coming big games are rarely up my alley. as i get older all i can pre-emptively get excited about are rpg's with highly customisable player characters. halo 4 or far cry might be great, and i might even buy them close to release date if there's not much else happening at the time, but no way am i reading pages of expostion about them months before release.

i reckon things will get more interesting when the new range of consoles come out - nothing terribly exciting happening right now, or at least exciting to me.

wouldn't mind a new crop of opinion writers, leigh alexander and brian howe aren't my cup of tea (although i remember reading some of howe's non edge stuff and quite liking it), while randy smith and clint hocking dont write about things i care about.

still a reader though, thanks to ipad version; would give it the flick if i were still paying $17.00AUS for it per month.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Uh-huh. How does one cover with grace the indus equivalent of two tramps windmilling over a tinny?

Not Edge's fault: monkey bastard games.
  • I'm also wondering when their "Ipad optimized" version reaches other tablets.
  • I still buy the magazine though I’d say that it is no longer as great as it was in its heyday. I don’t think that it’s entirely the magazines fault though. The whole media industry has changed dramatically over the last five years. Now there are websites galore where you can get your gaming news and watch reviews. You no longer have to wait until the end of the month to read a review when you can now aggregate from a number of sources.

Edge used to be an essential read, but now like others have mentioned the last quarter of the magazine can be ignored (unless you’re interested in game development). The columnists are awful. They come up with bizarre left field columns that hold little or no interest. Why not have a column that talks about what people are currently playing? I.e. when Dark Souls just came out and the forum was abuzz with messages about it, surely a column on that would have held interest? There are regular forum members who could write articles more interesting than the so called professionals.  Also losing the column from Japan was a mistake. Yes we know that Japan is no longer seen as essential a market as it was 10 years ago but its gaming culture is still different than the west’s and losing that monthly voice definitely made the magazine poorer.

I’d say the reviews have taken a hit as well, 5 years back they were pretty spot on and an Edge ten was almost mythically difficult to get. Just look at the list pre 2007:

Super Mario 64 Nintendo 64 E035 1996

Gran Turismo PlayStation E055 1997

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Nintendo 64 E066 1998

Halo: Combat Evolved Xbox E105 2001

Half-Life 2 Windows E143 2004

Halo 3 Xbox 360 E181 2007

The Orange Box Windows, Xbox 360 E182 2007

Super Mario Galaxy Wii E183 2007

Grand Theft Auto IV PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 E189 2008

LittleBigPlanet PlayStation 3 E195 2008

Bayonetta PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 E209 2009

Super Mario Galaxy 2 Wii E215 2010

Rock Band 3 PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 E222 2010

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword Wii E234 2011

When games such as Half Life,  Goldeneye and GTA 3 don’t get tens that tells you alot about how high the bar used to be. Now they hand them out to games that simply don’t deserve them, Bayonetta, Rock Band, and Little Big Planet. Can anyone honestly say that GTA4 was better than Vice City or San Andreas? How on earth is Dark Souls not a ten? 

What happen to the retrospective feature which was a great monthly trip down memory lane?

I think what I’m getting at is the magazine has lost its sparkle, abit like man utd without Cristiano ronaldo, it’s still there but the standards and creative flair have dropped, but it’s still better than every gaming magazine out there.

I also agree with those who have said that the magazine needs the next generation Xbox 3 and ps4 to appear. Though I don’t think that will change things much. What with development costs rocketing and Japan no longer being the centre of gaming, we’ll just get more lightgun wannabe Call of Duty clones. On a sidenote it would be really interesting if Konami/Capcom and god forbid Nintendo made FPS games. Just to see what originality they could bring to the genre. 

Print media is a dying industry; maybe the future for Edge in 5 years time will become a website like IGN?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!