EDGE: Christ on a bike, it’s a knuckle sando!
‹ Previous1234567131
  • To avoid further derailing the beloved bargain thread.

I think it's a shame that folks seem to have become slowly more detached from the mag. Their efforts to revamp seem to have been in vain. To be fair, I haven't bought the mag in over two years. I recently downloaded a PDF of the the July issue, but I've barely glanced at it.

If a community that has grown from the mag's old forum are turning their backs on the publication, what chance has it realistically got of continuing in these uncertain times for printed media?

I for one would be very disappointed if the mag folded, although I still can't see myself going out and buying a copy in the near future.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    No interest in the magazine anymore. But I'd say that's more down to me than the magazine. Serious writing about gaming seems paradoxical to me. I'd prefer to dedicate my "serious" reading time to things more deserving of it.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I guess if the website wasn't totally shit there'd be half a chance they could go digital only if needs be. But, well, the website is totally shit.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Still read it every month without fail. No other games mags out there worth reading unfortunately.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • My brother still buys it every month but I've barely read a couple of pages between the last few. I'm not sure whether the writing has gone downhill or it's just my attitude towards it.
  • I pretty much just get my fix from eurogamer these days, although the guardian games blog occasionally has some reasonable articles. 

Like Kow says, I think my preferences for written and print media have changed significantly in the past few years, there's no way Edge could keep up. 

Would be interested to know if a younger generation of readers is emerging, though I can't see it tbh.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • I'm fine with the writing, my problem is the choice of articles.

It seems to be an endless stream of articles about iOS, free-to-play, facebook and kickstarter. All of which are potentially great business models but the actual games produced are 9 times out of 10 utter tosh.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

All that seem to be covered is a procession of identikit 3D - em - ups that make me yawn. I'm becoming more of a retro head so its probably just me. Cancelled my sub.

What happened to the revisits and making ofs...?

The text is too small now too. After having said that I guess I'm not in Edge's targeted demographic.

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Subscription ran out in April, did not renew. Thought I would miss the magazine, especially after we had to leave their fucking shit new forum, but I dont. 

I guess because as a community, all the most relevent news to us is posted here by our members, so I don't really need anything else. 

Kind of sad. There'll always be those heady teenage pre-internet days of getting the bus to town, buying the mag and reading it on the way home.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • I wonder if anyone from EDGE looks at the forum here? 
    I only cancelled my subscription because of the spilt from the ex wife and it was just one of these things that was costing money that had to go. 

I did used to go through back issues and read them.  But then it was the source of information for what was happening in the industry and the writing was informative and mature. 
    It was good that the staff were involved in the forum as well. It was like an extension of the magazine. 

it just can't complete on a month by month basis because as soon as its out, its out of date really.  

I don't see why we can't review games on here. Or have articles on here a well.  

Though we seem to have moved from being the guys (and ladies) that talk about games to the group that talks about everything.  Maybe EDGE is a small part of what B&B is about. Where before EDGE was the main reason we got together.  Its like the mutual friend that introduced us all at a party but then hasn't kept in touch and we have more in common with each other than EDGE..
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Still get it every month, its something to read in the bath, Liveinadive is right though the choice of articles is pretty pony.
    Can-of-sprite
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Have now read the Ellen Page issue. Reviews were stale, dull, predictable. Oddly enough, with websites going out of their way to have a USP personality, Edge still seems stuck in the past.

The Nintendo of Mags?
  • My interest in Edge is directly correlated with my interest in new and upcoming videogames. And that's fallen off a cliff in the past 6 months or so. 

It's not a deal breaker but they're layout is disgraceful as well. It's hard to read some of their articles when the designers go full mental.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Gonzo wrote:
    My sub's staying there. My girlfriend reads the mag more than I do, but Edge is an institution. It's the games equivalent of World Soccer or, as much as I hate it, the Economist. It's read worldwide and has that sober British tone in its writing. I think y'all are being a bit harsh on the publication. There's nothing wrong with it, it's just we're sorta grown ups now. Except reg, the tawdy little nintard, who likes Nintendo Gamer. Ouyakasha, Reg.

It kind of turns you on that I'm this nasty, doesn't it?
  • Cleared out all my back issues last night.  Never really got on with it since the redesign, felt less accessible.  Don't think the writing has suffered, but what there is doesn't interest me and I tend to just flick through and give Hype and Reviews more attention than anything else.  Hard to support a brand/publisher that clearly gives more of a jot about Facebook 'likes' than its loyal contributing community.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • In all fairness to the latest edition, there really hasn't been much out recently so I could understand why it was a bit dull.

The only reason I may still continue Edge is that what alternative is there? I quite like 360 but I don't tend to get it now it has gone back up in price.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • @Aaron
    Was the last edition not the E3 edition, the most bountiful of editions in a 12 month period normally. O.k E3 was shit but still lots to report.

I think it was the most recent issue, may have been the one before. One of the opinion pieces had the first 7 or 8 characters of each line of the second column lobbed off, I've seen clipping of a letter or half a letter before but fucking hell.

Some high class quark skills there.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    My first issue of Edge was when I was 15 iirc. It was the "bored to death of videogames" issue with the bloke who had a gun to his head. I think the cover just sparked my interest and long years later here I am on Bear & Badger. I remember being so surprised at the writing style being more like i'd expect in a fine art critique magazine than what i'd come to expect from a games mag.

I was quite chuffed when in an English class Mr Shields handed us all photocopies of their DMC 3 review and we dissected it for a lesson.

But yeah, didn't renew my sub last month. I just don't read the magazine anymore when so much of their content is released on the website for free, even if it is much later. Good memories though. Introduced me to the idea that games can be open to much more stringent analysis.
  • Gonzo wrote:
    mmm nasty bitch. Anyone watch the Boondocks Uncle Ruckus life story episode. It's on youtube. Recommendo Ultimo.

Seconded.
  • As it does for others, this community takes care of all my games/industry info. needs.  I still buy the magazine (very) occasionally, but it's a last resort when I'm traveling.  Well, not quite a last resort.  I could always buy Heat magazine I guess.
  • @Liveinadive: I think it was the edition before the current one. However your spot on regardless, their coverage of E3 was non-existent really.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Gonzo wrote:
    mmm nasty bitch. Anyone watch the Boondocks Uncle Ruckus life story episode. It's on youtube. Recommendo Ultimo.

Annoys that Boondocks hasen't had any european release yet. I'm getting tired of putting my import season 1 discs in my PC in order to play them.

regmcfly wrote:
    Have now read the Ellen Page issue

Oh forgot about the covers I did. Cover man (whoever that is) for the past while seems to be intent on sabotaging the mag.
  • Are you implying that you don't like extreme close ups of people face?
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    Serious writing about gaming seems paradoxical to me. I'd prefer to dedicate my "serious" reading time to things more deserving of it.

C'mon son... ~_~
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Serious writing about videogames now troubles me in the sense that it's probably not going on inside actual studios.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    What Gonzo sed.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    For all that there's a lot of good stuff on Eurogamer, I'm starting to develop a slow-burning vicious hatred of it.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • I haven't bought a magazine of any sort in a couple of years, even for a train journey I'm more likely to grab a paper. As everyone has said, games news filters through here on the day.

As far as more in depth writing about the subject, what interests me isn't necessarily for everyone else here and I'm not sure print media was ever going that deep anyway. It might also be a change in me rather than gaming, but I'm sure I used to be more optimistic about where gaming was going in terms of narrative, multi-media, maturity and all that stuff. I'd rather that developers weren't encouraged to think they were Hollywood directors in the making now.
  • Edge still has by far the best writing, but I just don't really need a games magazine anymore. As shit as it is, the odd article or review on the Edge website is a decent substitute. Otherwise, I get what I want from here. I do still like those moments when we talk about games in more detail, but I'm not as fussed as I used to be.
  • Well many of those discussions were about each of us formalising our permanent stances in public, so yeah. Little to do but react to things now.
‹ Previous1234567131

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!