Mod - Kinect is shit.
‹ Previous12345
  • Aware that it was taking over the other thread, so I'll make this thread for the continuing argument.

Kinect is shit. It's best feature (voice control) can be done with the headset, and even then it only works in conjunction with the power of prayer.

IMO the best game for it is UFC Trainer. If I cared for that sort of thing I'd probably say Dance Central, but I don't, so I won't.

I don't care how many units it shifted. Every time I use it I remember why I don't like it.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    The headset allows voice control?
  • You just all think its shit because you don't have mad Dance Central skills like me and mod.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    What is Mod-Kinect?
  • Moto70 wrote:
    The headset allows voice control?

SOCOM managed it on the PS2. I suspect it's not beyond the likes of EA to do it on the 360.
  • The only decent game that makes good use of it is Child of Eden, I imagine. I'm not about to find out, though, cos its an expensive piece of kit/shit just for one game. 

Seems pretty useless, why has it sold so well???
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Aware that it was taking over the other thread, so I'll make this thread for the continuing argument. Kinect is shit. It's best feature (voice control) can be done with the headset, and even then it only works in conjunction with the power of prayer. IMO the best game for it is UFC Trainer. If I cared for that sort of thing I'd probably say Dance Central, but I don't, so I won't. I don't care how many units it shifted. Every time I use it I remember why I don't like it.

It's brilliant.  And I don't want to wear a bloody headset to get Netflix to play the next episode of Breaking Bad, nor do I want to wait 10 seconds for the controller to switch on and connect.  I want to say "Xbox, next episode" and have it start immediately.

Likewise, I don't want the immersion ruined in something like Skyrim by having to wear a headset when I can just say "equip bow" to change my weapons, or "quick map" rather than faffing through menus.  In terms of media stuff and general control, controlling things through gestures and voice is absolutely brilliant.  

Child of Eden is excellent, but I see the gaming market using it as an add-on rather than a standalone thing.  That said, the Biggest Loser Ultimate Workout and UFC Trainer were pretty good but needed to sharpen up with their recognition.  I'm genuinely very keen on the Nike+ partnership.  My gym already does Nike+ integration, saving workouts to your iPod/Nike+ account via wi-fi while it's connected, so I'd like something in the home doing it too.

In the same way that ME3/Skyrim allows for voice control, I can see some games introducing selective gesture control.  As soon as someone finesses that into place I think it'll become quite common.

It's a brilliant piece of kit, and the only people I've seen who moan about it either have voices like they're eating a pile of pebbles or live in box rooms.  It's not for people like that in its current iteration.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    What is Mod-Kinect?

Mod.  Better with Kinect.
    Get schwifty.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
     Seems pretty useless, why has it sold so well???
    The idea seems to be attractive, even if the execution isn't.

A device that allows you to control games without a pad definitely has some appeal to the more casual audience. Getting it to work with traditional games where responsive controls are prized was always going to be tricky. Occasional obvious gestures as a complement to a pad in a FPS might have worked, building an entire mech shooter around it is obviously mad in hindsight.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Why has it sold so well???

see Wii fit.
  • Watching Warehouse 13 earlier, switching on the pad to pause it managed to beat the voice control. It's not just me either, my housemates struggle to get it to understand us. I was referring to it's use in game though. I'm fairly accustomed to wearing a headset (and with the amount of Turtle Beach headsets out there so are others) so I don't see why it would be much of a stretch to see it used in COD.
  • What the frig is this thread HALLO MOD PLS SPEAK TO ME TYVM ok
  • Unlikely wrote:
    What the frig is this thread HALLO MOD PLS SPEAK TO ME TYVM ok

It's a thread for me to argue with Mod.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    As I understand it you still need kinect for the voice control, the headset isn't good enough on it's own. Is that right?

If the voice control is dependant on kinect it is a design mistake. I don't believe they couldn't have done it just using any headset and a software patch. If I read into it and understand it, with the microphone in the actual kinect, mimicking a condenser-esq range of gain, there are some chips providing hardware filters before being compared to a database of vocal signatures. I don't understand if this database resides on within the kinect's on board RAM or if it a firware update or separate software install on the actual xbox. 

That makes sense but it doesn't explain why a headset and no kinect won't work. Unless there's not enough spare RAM on the actual 360 to load said database into memory. So all the headset chatter gets pushed to the kinect for processing. That'd would account for why it seems worse with a headset than without I think.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Unlikely wrote:
    What the frig is this thread HALLO MOD PLS SPEAK TO ME TYVM ok
    It's a thread for me to argue with Mod.

You are a moron.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    That's all great Elm, but I'd rather push a fucking button than talk at the screen. Ten seconds for a controller to come on oh shit end of the world stuff right there what utter inconvenience.
  • Watching Warehouse 13 earlier, switching on the pad to pause it managed to beat the voice control. It's not just me either, my housemates struggle to get it to understand us.

That's simply impossible.  Saying "Xbox pause" cannot, in any feasible way, be slower than picking up a pad, pushing the button, waiting around 5 seconds, and pushing 2 other buttons.  

If it's a very loud movie or I have it turned up, sometimes Kinect doesn't hear me very well.  In which case, pushing "mute" on the always-on TV remote followed by "Xbox pause" is still going to be faster than even getting my hands on the controller.

You have a faulty Kinect, or you're speaking in the most bizarre dialect in the world.
  • That's all great Elm, but I'd rather push a fucking button than talk at the screen. Ten seconds for a controller to come on oh shit end of the world stuff right there what utter inconvenience.

That's fine, but I on the other much prefer the voice control.  Heck, you can turn your Xbox on, then shout "Xbox, play disc" from the kitchen while grabbing a drink to start your game.  

No-one needs to be forced to use it, but I think it's brilliant.  If someone's got a Kinect that won't understand them or doesn't work, then it's possibly faulty; I even posted a video of it navigating around, searching for things, and getting everything completely correct with no real delays and no errors.  It works!
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Fair enough, Maverick. I'd rather just click 'play disk' then go in the kitchen.
  • However, saying "Xbox pause. Xbox pause. Xbox pause. Xbox pause" did take longer.

Sometimes it works. Sometimes it does that, or when you're not even talking to it decides to search Bing for "In your country holocaust right thing".

I think we've stumbled on the acceptable middle ground though. The Media Remote.
  • Elm, DD's from Preston/Blackburn. Kinect has no chance.
  • You have yours in the wrong place, or set up wrongly then.  When did you last run Kinect Tuner?  Where is it relative to the speakers?  

Mine never randomly Bings something, unless someone's talking to me and it picks them up.
  • If all you use Kinect for is voice control, you've basically admitted Kinect is pointless and shit. 
    The whole depth camera and skeleton extraction and tracking is the USP - if it's just an expensive, always-on microphone to you, it's a fucking expensive, always-on microphone and you've been ripped off.

If you like the dancing or fitness games then fair play, Kinect is worthwhile for you and it's not just a hyper-expensive microphone.
  • beano wrote:
    As I understand it you still need kinect for the voice control, the headset isn't good enough on it's own. Is that right? If the voice control is dependant on kinect it is a design mistake. I don't believe they couldn't have done it just using any headset and a software patch. If I read into it and understand it, with the microphone in the actual kinect, mimicking a condenser-esq range of gain, there are some chips providing hardware filters before being compared to a database of vocal signatures. I don't understand if this database resides on within the kinect's on board RAM or if it a firware update or separate software install on the actual xbox.  That makes sense but it doesn't explain why a headset and no kinect won't work. Unless there's not enough spare RAM on the actual 360 to load said database into memory. So all the headset chatter gets pushed to the kinect for processing. That'd would account for why it seems worse with a headset than without I think.
    I thought MS provided a load of voice recognition software to developers to use with Kinect as a carrot to encourage them to support it. I'm not sure that it technically relies on the hardware, more likely is that MS don't allow them to use that software with the headset.

Headset voice recognition has been done on the 360, that FPS that only ZMM liked had it and flopped horribly.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Elmlea wrote:
    In which case, pushing "mute" on the always-on TV remote followed by "Xbox pause" is still going to be faster than even getting my hands on the controller.

Okay so normally if I know I am going to pause something I know in advance. I can see the attraction in casually reaching for the controller, whilst still paying attention is not much to cry about.

What you've just described though makes me feel like it'd be a bit stressful. I'd be trying to mute and say the command without missing dialogue or running into the next scene. 

I can just see after coming back to the 360 I'd have to be like "xbox rewind" too far back  "xbox play, xbox slow-forward. Xbox stop do'h, Xbox play."

Talking over something you now urgently need to get away from briefly for a piss or whatever just sounds shit. I'd rather do it with a held gesture. Or having to mute something because you're watching something a little bit too loud so you can tell it to do something sounds shit. It does sound useful for changing(edit) the TV station though, I hate number typing.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • djchump wrote:
    If all you use Kinect for is voice control, you've basically admitted Kinect is pointless and shit.  The whole depth camera and skeleton extraction and tracking is the USP - if it's just an expensive, always-on microphone to you, it's a fucking expensive, always-on microphone and you've been ripped off. If you like the dancing or fitness games then fair play, Kinect is worthwhile for you and it's not just a hyper-expensive microphone.

Like I said, I like the gesture control too, and I do enjoy the fitness stuff, and I love Child of Eden.
  • Here's a question, what if you're watching a video that contains the phrase XBOX pause in it?
    What if it's a video of you saying it?
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • I was pretty skeptical about Kinect but was intrigued enough to buy one. It's barely been on in a year but goddamn I got 120 quids worth of laughs over the first month or so. Drunken mates playing Sports was brilliant. 

I liked the fitness stuff too (and it worked great) but soon realised it was just going to be too noisy for my downstairs neighbour.
  • beano wrote:
    Okay so normally if I know I am going to pause something I know in advance. I can see the attraction in casually reaching for the controller, whilst still paying attention is not much to cry about. What you've just described though makes me feel like it'd be a bit stressful. I'd be trying to mute and say the command without missing dialogue or running into the next scene.  I can just see after coming back to the 360 I'd have to be like "xbox rewind" too far back  "xbox play, xbox slow-forward. Xbox stop do'h, Xbox play." Talking over something you now urgently need to get away from briefly for a piss or whatever just sounds shit. I'd rather do it with a held gesture. Or having to mute something because you're watching something a little bit too loud so you can tell it to do something sounds shit. It does sound useful for changing(edit) the TV station though, I hate number typing.

It's not worth crying about; I just find saying it is better and easier.  Having to turn down the volume to use voice controls was a one-off occurrence, so I wouldn't read too much into that.

Voice controlled rewinding I find easier and smoother than using the controller; but the gesture based shuttling on Netflix is better still.  It's excellent; wave at screen for a couple of seconds and the time bar appears at the top.  Move hand over the point you're at, and as you slide your hand left and right, a thumbnail shows that bit of the video.  Find the bit you want, and moving your hand's obviously analogue and precise, then swipe hand downwards to pull that video thumbnail down to the main screen.  It's excellent.

Pausing's just as simple.  2 waves, hover over pause button for a second.

Voice stuff is easy; command it to rewind  and you can use "faster," "slower," and the usual commands too.
  • Sasukekun wrote:
    Here's a question, what if you're watching a video that contains the phrase XBOX pause in it? What if it's a video of you saying it?

Dunno, but I have a Youtube video of me demonstrating Kinect to blow Dante's "it doesn't work" comments out of the water, so I'll watch that on the 360 and see what it does.

When you run Kinect Tuner it listens to your speakers, I like to hope it does some magic to make sure it doesn't listen to itself.
‹ Previous12345

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!