Wipeout Omega Collection - The Future is Fast!
  • Rare are still UK based right?
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • So, would GTA be the only real blockbuster left from a UK dev? Fable 3 didn't do anywhere near as well as 2 did it?

NFS Hot Pursuit did a very impressive 8.5 million units apparently -

"On 5 May 2011, on EA's financial result report of Q4 2010 was it mentioned that Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit has sold through approximately 8.5 million units.[166]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Need_for_Speed:_Hot_Pursuit_(2010_video_game)

Not quite the 22 million that GTA4 did, but in my view anything over 1 or 2 million is loads.
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    I'm ashamed to say I have not played Wipeout HD because I am a poor, skinty barsteward. I shall try to rect(lol rectum)ify this soon.

look in account management> services from xmb.
    you might have it for free from that outage! 

it is the 1 game i thought every ps3 owner should have.
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • daviedigi wrote:
    I'm ashamed to say I have not played Wipeout HD because I am a poor, skinty barsteward. I shall try to rect(lol rectum)ify this soon.
    look in account management> services from xmb. you might have it for free from that outage!  it is the 1 game i thought every ps3 owner should have.

I think the claim time has passed dude.
    But, it might be worth a look
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I didn't have a ps3 when that happened anyhoo.
  • We'll just hope for Jet Set Willy 3 then.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    ah well, worth the pennies anyhoo imho.

few of us now.
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I had a horrible feeling he was alluding to Molyneux, I almost set fire to the thread in disgust.

Milo is precious.

Blocks100 wrote:
    We'll just hope for Jet Set Willy 3 then.
    UK devs, closing left right and center!

how_to_be_a_complete_bastard_01.gif
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    WipEout's a good game, by the way.
  • So, would GTA be the only real blockbuster left from a UK dev? Fable 3 didn't do anywhere near as well as 2 did it?
    NFS Hot Pursuit did a very impressive 8.5 million units apparently - "On 5 May 2011, on EA's financial result report of Q4 2010 was it mentioned that Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit has sold through approximately 8.5 million units.[166]" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Need_for_Speed:_Hot_Pursuit_(2010_video_game) Not quite the 22 million that GTA4 did, but in my view anything over 1 or 2 million is loads.

I think that 8.5 million would certainly count as a blockbuster! That's Halo numbers. I really wish EA would let them make a new Burnout, and get totally behind it marketing wise.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Do the Hot Pursuit figures include the phone and Wii versions?
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Oh it's EA so probably. Still, after we deduct both of the Wii copies, how much would really come of for mobile versions?

Actually it's worse. It's N4S and MoH combined. Moh Did like 5 million I think, so about 3.5 million. Still pretty good going.
  • Bit of an unfortunate copyright placement from BBC on the second image down in this article:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19350856
  • I think that 8.5 million would certainly count as a blockbuster! That's Halo numbers. I really wish EA would let them make a new Burnout, and get totally behind it marketing wise.

Hot pursuit is brilliant and a new Burnout would be a great idea. I thought I would list my suggestions for such an idea:

1) Instead of cars you should have motorbikes.
    2) Instead of simply crashing into eachother, you should be able to hit eachother with cattle prods, pool cues, chains etc.
    3) Instead of calling it Burnout they should name it Road Rash.
    XBOX: Kurt Russel
    PS3: Air_Hair_Lair
  • Rare still exist don't they, not they make any games any more.

Edit: Sas done already said it
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    This gen Rare have done:

Kameo: Elements of Power
    Perfect Dark Zero
    Viva Pinata
    Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise
    Jetpac Refuelled
    Perfect Dark (XBLA) - with the help of 4J
    Kinect Sports
    Kinect Sports: Season Two

They are also responsible for the avatars.

Hopefully we'll see more from them next gen from a 'core' (ugh!) gamer perspective. Well, that and BLAST CORPS!
  • That isn't a lot really, it seems a lot but 2 were launch games, 2 are mini game collections, one is an N64 port they didn't even do themselves, an original XBLA game, viva piniata was hardly an epic.

Last gen they made what 3 games? (Conker, Grabbed by the Ghoulies and Starfox)

Not sure I'm that fussed about seeing anything from them tbh.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Viva Pinata was amazing - way deeper than the 'kids game' tag that some lazy folk (or people who didn't play it) gave it. Kameo was decent (if a little rushed).

I think Rare will surprise quite a few when the nextbox lands.
  • Oh we both forgot Banjo Nuts and Bolts, I did quite like this one but getting quests from the same 3 or 4 characters made it get a bit stale, I prefered the crazy characters of the first 2 games.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Ohmygod, how did I forget that? One of my fave games this gen. So colourful, loads of possibilities, some decentish (when you could get a game) multiplayer.

Agree about wanting a proper sequel, but kudos to Rare for trying something different.
  • Conker was a lark at the time, but woul never have dreamt that their subsequent output would be so feeble (and I enjoyed VP, but ffs, from Goldeneye to that list)
  • I was under the impression the talent of Rare left around 2000-2002 and created Free Radical Design which is now owned by Crytec. Without the team that created BattleToads, Killer Instinct, Goldeneye, Conkers BFD they're just a brand name.  That's why they haven't produced a stand out game for almost a decade.
    XBOX: Kurt Russel
    PS3: Air_Hair_Lair
  • ...what I can never figure out is how you start at Goldeneye, take a detour past Timesplitters and end up at Haze!!
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    And yet Treyarch continue to exist.

Had the exact same reaction before Bizarre closed. Three companies were formed from that although they're developing for iOS and Android mostly I heard one may be trying to get the backing for a console title.

There's a fine crew of quality bastards who can make a fucking decent racer out there looking for the next job. Whilst most people I'd talked to about the studio said they were always on the grind in work, I'd hate for their skills to actually end up wasted on a usual monotonous 'daily grind'. All the best to ex-SCE Liverpool staff in dev & test.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Ref: Free Radical

Madness hey.

Apparently they went under because LucasArts totally dicked them over too.
    Should have stuck with Nintendo, both parties complimented each other.
  • There was a article about rare on eurogamer. From the sounds of it they're stuck in casual limbo for the near future at least.
  • beano wrote:
    And yet Treyarch continue to exist.
    Had the exact same reaction before Bizarre closed. Three companies were formed from that although they're developing for iOS and Android mostly I heard one may be trying to get the backing for a console title. There's a fine crew of quality bastards who can make a fucking decent racer out there looking for the next job. Whilst most people I'd talked to about the studio said they were always on the grind in work, I'd hate for their skills to actually end up wasted on a usual monotonous 'daily grind'. All the best to ex-SCE Liverpool staff in dev & test.

A chap I knew who worked for Bizarre went to Visceral in Montreal, and is now at Ubisoft Toronto presumably doing the online for Splinter Cell or Rainbow 6.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I'll get it for you if you don't get it yourself. This game (plus coffee if you're playing in the mornings, whisky if you're playing late), with a decent soundtrack (just put anything with a proper beat on your ps3) and you'll be settled for hours.

Shame about Studio Liverpool, had some great evenings with some of the guys from there.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Reflections, creators of the best two car related games of all time (Stuntman and Destruction Derby 2 since you ask) are now making Just Dance games for the PS3.

They made the well received Driver San Fran last year, and according to Wikipedia have a hand in both Far Cry 3 and Watch Dogs.

There's also http://www.eutechnyx.com/ based in Dunston.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!