Wipeout Omega Collection - The Future is Fast!
‹ Previous12345678
  • Statement from Sony....
    ”As part of SCE Worldwide Studios, we do regular reviews to ensure that the resources we have can create and produce high quality, innovative and commercially viable projects in an increasingly competitive market place. As part of this process, we have reviewed and assessed all current and planned projects for the short and medium term and have decided to make some changes to our European Studios.

It has been decided that Liverpool Studio should be closed. Liverpool Studio has been an important part of SCE Worldwide Studios since the outset of PlayStation, and have contributed greatly to PlayStation over the years. Everyone connected with Liverpool Studio, past and present, can be very proud of their achievements.

However, it was felt that by focusing our investment plans on other Studios that are currently working on exciting new projects, we would be in a stronger position to offer the best possible content for our consumers. Our Liverpool Facility will continue to operate, housing a number of other vital WWS!E and SCEE Departments.

This should not take anything away from the great work WWS are doing and the incredible games and services that we have made, and continue to make.”

Sad news. When you look all the way back to the games that Psygnosis used to make. Hope all that have lost their jobs land on their feet.
    Let's go exploring....
  • Well, that's a bit shit. Wipeout HD is one of the best games this gen.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I don't even play racing games yet i've loved every single Wipeout i've gotten my hands on. And the camera function in HD made for some amazing wallpapers.

I doubt the Wipeout franchise will go. It'l just get handed to another, smaller department probably that will give it a fate worse than death. Mockery.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Sad news. What else did Psygnosis make?
  • Made the early F1 games didnt they? 

Recently I can only assume they made a whole load of shit.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • And an end of an era if you remember Pysgnosis
    Feets, Don't fail me now!
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I was talking about what they made before Sony swallowed them up.

A quick Googling reveals Destruction Derby, G-Police, Colony Wars and Alundra. Great games all.
  • G-Police. Shed a tear.

Psygnosis owl popping up on the Amiga brings back many memories.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Psygnosis owl popping up on the Amiga brings back many memories.

Psychosis.png

Sadly, I can see Codemasters going this way too.
    Let's go exploring....
  • Wipeout is my favourite franchise, it keeps me buying playstations. :(
    XBOX: Kurt Russel
    PS3: Air_Hair_Lair
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    So, speculation. Is this to do with 2048 and the Vita in general not selling like hot jaffa cakes?
  • Sony should have had them make a (wheeled) racing game during the long wait for GT5.
  • Like Blur?
    Feets, Don't fail me now!
  • someth
    Bob wrote:
    Like Blur?
    Something more like Grid seems a better bet in hindsight.
  • Close Liverpool, keep Evolution. SEEMS LEGIT.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    So, speculation. Is this to do with 2048 and the Vita in general not selling like hot jaffa cakes?

Potentially. Sony probably treats each of it's divisons as a separate entity, each of which will be told to pull their socks up to get the compnay as a whole back on track. This would mean the Game segment have to do something to offset their lower sales figures (14.5% lower on a year on year basis). With no new main console on the horizon this year to increase revenues (and just speculating here...therefore no big AAA titles on the horizon), one of the only ways left to improve performance financially is cut your costs.
  • Let's go exploring....
  • tDR and Studio Liverpool both gone now. Shame, chaps knew how to weave a good choon/graphic into a racing game. 

I reckon I'd have enjoyed a sci-fi epic at their hands if they'd ever branched out into adventure/RPG territory. 

Zone Mode is what did my eyes in though.

edit: 2097 was probably the last game I saw that made me literally fall off my seat. Couldn't believe how good it looked at the time.
  • Some of my favourite games in that list.  I wonder who owns the rights to some of those games.  Especially Colony Wars and G-Police.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Colony Wars and G-Police were good looking at the time, imagine how gorgeous a reboot would look?

Can't believe that there's nothing like those games out today.
  • Big shame, loved some of the old Psygnosis games and wipeout 2097 is one of my top 5 games ever.

Edit; i don't think it's got anything to do with 2048 or vita, it's just that Sony haven't known what to do with the Liverpool studio for years.  They started winding it down in 2010 -

On 29 January 2010, Sony made the following public statement: "It has been decided that production on a number of projects within Studio Liverpool will cease immediately due to project prioritisation. Our North West Studio Group has been and will continue to be a vital cog in the WWS family, with a history of producing genre defining games such as MotorStorm, WipEout, Formula 1 and WRC and this decision will have no impact of the role that the North West Studio Group will play in the future of all PlayStation platforms"
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • Always a shame to see a studio close. For some reason I remember Puggsy and Microcosm the most (after Wipeout). Forgot they published Alundra in the UK, loved that game.
    "But enough talk. HAVE AT YOU!"
  • Just posted in the 2048 Facebook page..

f85073bc8e25fee178d746abd55a1255.jpg

snifffffff
  • Rumours are that Wipeout was in production for the next Playstation. Probably not a huge shock, but still sad to know that it's unlikely to come to light.
    Let's go exploring....
  • Really liked Barbarian even though it was clunky as hell (never got to play the 2nd one) -

Also i remember getting Terrapods without a box or manual, and being completely baffled by it haha.
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • It's revenge, of sorts, for releasing Shadow of the Bast.

Seriously though, played many Psygnosis games, which always looked and sounded good, and a few were excellent to boot.

Bye
  • That's a real shame, hopefully it won't see the death of Wipeout.

Colony Wars: Vengeance and Destruction Derby 2 got a serious amount of playtime on my PS1. Rollcage as well, never got 
    round to the sequel though.
    PSN: Shinji-_-Ikari
    Twitter: @YouDidItAll4Me
  • Why would it mean the end of Wipeout? Surely Sony own the IP and could just get another studio to develop a game? Sure it might not be of the same quality but it doesn't mean there won't be one.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • It's a bit of a niche genre these days, they might get someone else to have a go, but it's not a sure fire money maker.
  • Who's up for some HD/Fury MP tonight?!
‹ Previous12345678

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!