The Paleo thread of keeping fit and looking healthy - or the other way around
‹ Previous1234567107
  • Hi, this is a thread where by we can all judge each other on how we look, what we eat and why we're doing things.

As for me, I've been eating paleo, doing no additional exercise and I'm getting perilously close to my target weight. 

Once I've reached it, I will start cross-training so I can look and feel even better!

Now, I will wait for Wookie and Aussie to get involved.

Love to you all
  • I joined a new gym today but apparently I can't use it until I've had an induction.

I'VE USED A GYM BEFORE FFS
  • Spanish rice based dish.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    It's terminology for a dieting regime really Elm, I'm actually doing CrossFit atm Google, well worth it. 
  • I nearly bought 4 litres of egg whites today.
    "Our music's strong enough to stop a bomb...putting pressure on you kids like I'm a soccer mom"
  • I work out.
    Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist
  • Would miss beans and dairy produce overmuch were I to go full metro cavebro.

I need no encouragement to munch raw flesh, mind.
  • I assume paleo diet includes deer faeces and rats blood. 
    "Our music's strong enough to stop a bomb...putting pressure on you kids like I'm a soccer mom"
  • What's paeleo?

The easiest way to describe it is a complete 180 degree of the modern diet.

On Paleo you do not eat any gluten, dairy or legumes. So your diet will mostly consist of proteins in the form of meat and eggs and fats in the form of vegetables, nuts and fruits. 

There is a bunch of research that I could link to if you're interested in finding out about how it can completely alter your well-being. There are a number of documents detailing the reversal of multiple sclerosis, CVD and diabetes from simply removing the above food items from your diet.

So yeah, to give you some context, I was 202lbs three weeks ago and I'm now 190lbs with absolutely no additional exercise. Sure, some of that is probably water loss, but I've lost inches all over my body from my waist to my chest.

It's been pretty remarkable actually - but this is just anecdotally. I'm pretty impressed and the 'diet' has not really been that hard to stick with - I just eat a lot more meat than I was ever used to.
  • Speedhaak said:

It's terminology for a dieting regime really Elm, I'm actually doing CrossFit atm Google, well worth it. 

Yeah, I wanted to first start to get comfortable with the lack of carbs/sugar in my diet before starting on a new exercise regime. 

My plan is to wait until my weight loss plateau's (hopefully at around 180) and then start working out again properly. Any recommendations on websites that provide a good resource for cross-fit would be beneficial, boss.
  • I recently started running 3 times a week. No noticeable weight loss or anything but just feel better overall from doing it. Also, got thighs like fucking Hulk now. Green and everything.
    Twitter: Andy_Wharton | PSN: thehumantarget86 | Xbox Live: humantarget86 | Steam: thehumantarget
  • My missus is really into the paleo diet, even though she's thin already. Made a curry using cauliflower as a rice substitute and very tasty it was too. Boil it for 5 minutes. Blitz in a blender, add garlic, seasoning, chilli and fry. 
  • That sounds really great actually, Stoph. 

I've been eating a lot of thai without the rice. Coconut oil is super good for you so I'm eating it in spades (little, tiny spades, because it costs so much money!)
  • Nothing wrong with complex carbs, why limit yourself? hit your macronutrient ratios, don't eat a calorie surplus of over 300-400kcal per day, lift weights, do some cardio. Bingo-bongo, a lean muscular physique. Why avoid all that lovely stuff like wholewheat pasta, brown rice and porridge? You won't last, you'll get sick of just MEEEEEAT and brocoli and will soon relapse and binge on bread like a mofo. Why isn't eating a healthy, balanced diet in sensible portions sizes enough? You get everything you want, need and can look the business. Paleo, schmaleo, I'm off to bake bread.
  • Nothing wrong with complex carbs, why limit yourself? hit your macronutrient ratios, don't eat a calorie surplus of over 300-400kcal per day, lift weights, do some cardio. Bingo-bongo, a lean muscular physique. Why avoid all that lovely stuff like wholewheat pasta, brown rice and porridge? You won't last, you'll get sick of just MEEEEEAT and brocoli and will soon relapse and binge on bread like a mofo. Why isn't eating a healthy, balanced diet in sensible portions sizes enough? You get everything you want, need and can look the business. Paleo, schmaleo, I'm off to bake bread.
  • Triple WAHT THE FUCK. Not here, please God... not.....here. I thought this was a old forum spaz thang. pffft, Petey.

• Triple WAHT THE FUCK. Not here, please God... not.....here. I thought this was a old forum spaz thang. pffft, Petey.

• oh ffs.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    ruh roh

Also, Turts has spoken. Fasting, that's the key.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • In response to the question.

It's not carbs that are necesarilly bad - it's that there are many, many things within carb high foods (bread, pasta, rice, etc) that are pretty awful for your body. 

• I've been doing well with my fasts - considering going for a 24 hour once a week.
  • I swim fast for 2 hours every morning then eat whatever i want and lots of it and feel awesome.
  • If you eat a loaf of white bread a day, yeah, carbs BAAAAD. It doesn't have to be that way. I just think that any eating plan you switch to has to be sustainable for literally the rest of your entire life. I'll be perfectly happy eating what I allow myself currently, indefinitely. I'm fit lean and happy with my physique and I only have to self-pollute in Burger King around once every 3 months to keep my pecker twitching. I bet you a copy of Mickey's Castle of illusion on Game Gear that you won't be eating Paleo in 2 years time. Then what? old habits return and the weight goes on again? 
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Hory shit, Castle of Irrusion! Take that bet Googs.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • If you eat a loaf of white bread a day, yeah, carbs BAAAAD. It doesn't have to be that way. I just think that any eating plan you switch to has to be sustainable for literally the rest of your entire life. I'll be perfectly happy eating what I allow myself currently, indefinitely. I'm fit lean and happy with my physique and I only have to self-pollute in Burger King around once every 3 months to keep my pecker twitching. I bet you a copy of Mickey's Castle of illusion on Game Gear that you won't be eating Paleo in 2 years time. Then what? old habits return and the weight goes on again? 

What you're basically saying is that for one to lose weight and get healthy if one is over weight and unhealthy is to change their lifestyle.

Only you're stating that exercise and a low fat sensible carb high diet is the way to do things.

I'm stating that a low carb, high protein diet is an easier solution for someone like me. I do not do well with carbs, I get low energy, bad guts and super high cravings. 

I'm not cutting out carbs - I'm simply not eating gluten. There is a pretty massive difference.
  • This intrigues me.  I haven't been able to do any phys for about 10 months now thanks to the last shoulder op, so when I can finally start again (now-ish, according to physio), I'll need to do some serious diet-fettling as well as just running.

Not really looking forward to going running for the first time in the best part of a year and finding that I don't quite go as far as I used to.
  • @elmlea again, paleo talks about the most efficient way to get in shape. 

It's not running.

It's cross training / cross fit. Mixing multiple disciplines into one workout that works a number of different muscle groups is much more important that working a single discipline.

Running is great. But it's not really good at doing anything other than making you better at running.

*obviously running will get you fitter, but cross training gets you fitter, quicker, without as much pain. 
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I'll hop in and say I'm wary of cross training. I am an advocate of strength training, centered around the main lifts (squat, deadlift, press (bench and military)) done properly. I also advocate short term (<= 24hrs) fasting for eating pattern regulation, fat loss and general well being. I will be back with a more detailed say on schtuff latorz.
  • Explain the wariness when you have a second, Skerret?

• google said:

If you eat a loaf of white bread a day, yeah, carbs BAAAAD. It doesn't have to be that way. I just think that any eating plan you switch to has to be sustainable for literally the rest of your entire life. I'll be perfectly happy eating what I allow myself currently, indefinitely. I'm fit lean and happy with my physique and I only have to self-pollute in Burger King around once every 3 months to keep my pecker twitching. I bet you a copy of Mickey's Castle of illusion on Game Gear that you won't be eating Paleo in 2 years time. Then what? old habits return and the weight goes on again? 

What you're basically saying is that for one to lose weight and get healthy if one is over weight and unhealthy is to change their lifestyle.

Only you're stating that exercise and a low fat sensible carb high diet is the way to do things.

I'm stating that a low carb, high protein diet is an easier solution for someone like me. I do not do well with carbs, I get low energy, bad guts and super high cravings. 

I'm not cutting out carbs - I'm simply not eating gluten. There is a pretty massive difference.

Did you mean to say "low fat, sensible carb, high protein" here?

I'm glad you're not stopping carbs completely, I was kinda thinking that you were, I misunderstood, so apologies. I hear you can get gluten free flour, would you eat stuff made from that? I'm sure the science adds up on many aspects of paleo, but it's kinda irrelevant, I feel, if it's unsustainable long term. Members of my extended family try and stick rigidly to all sorts of different eating plans/diets, avoiding this and that (my mum included) and it makes things really bloody difficult a lot of the time and they got without, a lot. Eating out is often a real problem too for obvious reasons. 

I think avoiding certain food groups completely is unnecessary unless you have a proper medical reason to do so like celiac disease, etc. You can moderate anything that is potentially troublesome and still enjoy an incredibly varied tasty diet that requites little planning and forethought. Obviously, I'd avoid junk and processed food whenever possible, but those are just nutritionally shite iterations of various food groups, not a whole group in themselves. I eat pizza, but I make it from scratch. I eat burgers but make them from scratch, etc. If you cook everything from good nutritious ingredients (often in bulk to freeze portions) I feel there's very very little you can't eat, providing you hit your macronutrient ratios and caloric goals for the day. This means you get to eat things like cheesecake!

For anyone trying to loose weight, I highly, highly recommend spending a couple of weeks learning to cook 5-6 dishes from scratch that are made with the most nutritious ingredients possible and making some big batches of them. Healthy versions of processed foods like "Low Fat" versions of things are often still shite, just laden with sugar to make up for the lack of flavour after the fat reduction. DON'T EAT PROCESSED FOOD. 

One other thing I'd is watch your salt, big time. Never add it to anything. If you make anything with stock in it, there's easily enough salt in the stock cubes, you don't need extra. Salt makes you retain water so your body always has enough reserves to dilute your blood and keep you in balance. keeping salt low, means far less stored water and a nice lean look. It's amazing how much weight you can loose from reducing salt alone. You can piss out 5 lbs in a week. This is why drinking a shitload of water is important, the more you drink, the less you need to store. If your salt levels get really low, you'll get cramps but this is highly, highly unlikley. It's seriously hard to get too little salt.

Other than that, keep the portions sensible. The most nutritious diet in the world will make you fat if you eat 2500kcal of it per day when you only needed 2000kcal

This is general advice, not solely aimed at you Googax. Just my 2 cents. Do whatever you wanna do!

‹ Previous1234567107

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!