Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    That's the problem, ultimately most ISPs mean you're stuck with BT anyway.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I was going to say that. Everyone with Sky are using BT lines aren't they?
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Yup. Some people on virgin adsl are using BT lines....
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Oh God, don't get me started.

BT own the copper in the ground, and the exchange. But AFAIK they don't always own the equipment in it.

As I found out when considering going back to O2 from Sky. Apparently Sky had "done something" to the line at the exchange and took ownership of it, meaning O2 would need to send an engineer (I call bullshit but hey) to take ownership back (to BT). Which was going to cost me £40.

Apparently O2 leave the line in BTs hands, but Sky don't. I don't fucking know.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    The only people that own any line are BT, Virgin and Kingston. A few small firms have done trial runs of fibre to door, but I don't believe any are still active. If you're not on Virgin you are using BT lines (except in Kingston on Hull). If Sky said they were taking ownership the only thing they could have meant was that they were putting a stop on a previously active account at the same address. An Openworld (BT subsidiary, maintains lines) frames engineer would simply have gone to the exchange and sorted the card out

All ADSL users (except Kingston Hull) are using BT lines, boxes, frames and exchanges
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Yes.  That's why I have no alternative to Virgin, because there is no BT line installed at my address and having one installed would apparently cost me the best part of £200, which I object to on principle.
  • I thought the whole point of LLU ADSL2+ was that the provider (eg Sky, Be, whoever) actually puts some of their own equipment in the exchange?
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Don't think there is a thread for this so here we go. I'm starting college at Bristol in September and I've just moved into a shared house. No one else has moved in yet and I need some recommendations for a good ISP. Apparently most people tend to go for Virgin Media here. Many thanks for any suggestions.

Just in case no one has already said it, avoid PlusNet like the proverbial plague.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Don't worry swirl, they've managed to embark on one of the worst advertising campaigns ever, so we've been warned.
  • This has reminded me of how rubbish Kingston Communications used to be. They were so bad that at once stage we had AOL.
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    WorKid wrote:
    If you can get cable, then get cable.

This.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Don't worry swirl, they've managed to embark on one of the worst advertising campaigns ever, so we've been warned.

Huzzah.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    I'm sure anyone who cares already knows this, but Virgin are offering new customers 'up to 30mb'. If you give them a ring they should upgrade you.

Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere.
  • If you want to be wired in to your broadband for better connection but you're not near the router/hub, use one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004INVKP4/?tag=hydra0b-21&hvadid=9557948109&ref=asc_df_B004INVKP4

I have my office PC plugged in via Power Line. It's very good and works well.
  • Got new internet installed today after a wait of a few days (too long!). Last the the hub was in the wrong place (in someone's room so we couldn't reboot manually and also too far away so signal was poor), so I got them to wire it elsewhere. They wanted to charge a £50 installation fee but I haggled them to £25.

The Super Hub 2 is apparently much better, it has two SSIDs, a 2.4GHz one and another at 5GHz, which is a pretty sick feature. Got my laptop connected to 5GHz and this is what I'm getting -

2964216601.png

Anywho, I've got 2 days worth of forum reading to catch up on.

Arrrrrgggghhh nearly 500 new GTA 5 posts!!!
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    BT have delivered an ad for BT Sport around my village on A4 card. It says:

BT Broadband customers can watch BT Sport online at home with a minimum line speed of 400 Kbps

You think anyone around here hits 400...
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Do you not get good broadband by you?
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    The village with our exchange in is almost okay, 6+ Mb, but my village is another 2-3 miles away.

A quick online check would've told BT it was pointless to leaflet this far out. A few homes on the edge of my village are possibly touching 400 Kbps at quiet times. So if anyone does join up for BT Sport online, they'll soon be complaining about the choppiness of their feed. To someone, somewhere, beyond Mozart.

By the time casual rural Internet users realise BDUK, BT and the Government have screwed them over, it'll be too late.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/blogs/2013/07/18/how-bduk-bungled-britains-next-gen-broadband-rollout

No idea where BT's going

A long-standing criticism from BT’s potential rivals is that they have little idea of where BT plans to roll out its own fibre network, making it difficult to create a business case. If a company were to commit, say, £50m to lay fibre in an area, only for the BT vans to roll into town six months later, the chances of a return on that investment are greatly reduced. BT does provide some forward guidance on which exchanges it plans to upgrade, but we still don’t know all the areas that will be covered by its fibre rollout, or which parts of towns and cities won’t be connected.

James suggested that if BDUK had followed the European guidelines on fibre rollouts, BT would have been forced to reveal where it plans to invest. “The one area where I have a real beef with them [BT], is that it’s still not telling us what they’re going to build where,” he said. “So the so-called 10% [that won’t get fibre under BT’s plans] is still not clear. That’s why I haven’t spent any more money.

“If the consultation process set out in the EU rules had been properly followed then they [BT] would have to declare very clearly where they were going to build, at what speeds, and what they were going to deliver, which would have revealed the 10%.”

Who's to blame

James admitted that he didn’t blame BT for pressuring BDUK into lowering the NGA threshold or for keeping its rollout plans secret – it’s a business attempting to extract the maximum return for its shareholders, after all.

Instead, he said the blame laid squarely at the feet of BDUK. “It’s the fault of the officials who allowed themselves to be lobbied. It should have been a much more robust process that shouldn’t have given in to some of that pressure.”
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I recently read that being in a cabled area will soon add £10K to the value of properties.
  • Telstra continue to provide the worst installation service, but once set up, are golden. If I didn't have cable here I'd be straight to another provider though. Took waaaay too long to install here for various reasons.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Struggling with my Virgin connection at the minute, it was fine today but it looks like I'm being throttled down to single figures, sometimes less than one Mb. 

I've done a bit of Googling and Virgin claim not to throttle any download speeds anymore, there's no limit at any time of day, they only throttle the upload P2P abusers.

I'm using Chromecast to stream stuff direct to my tv, I'd have thought that would be fine as I'm not uploading anything (am I?).

Confused by the whole thing, I'm going to give Virgin a bell tomorrow as getting 1Mb when I'm paying for up to (key part of the contract there innit?) 152Mb is a bit lol.
  • I was getting stung by them recently. Was getting as low as 1-2 meg, 5-6 meg the usual, from a 20 meg line. Seemed like uber throttling. Now on their 100 meg and it can dip to 75-78 of an evening. I need to reacquaint myself with their policy, as I'm sure I once saw something about their higher speed lines should not be throttled and certainly not by a quarter.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Even during the dark days of peak time throttling, they only went as far as 16% according to this. Something is up.
  • Their forums have multiple threads of people with similar issues. Comes down to a lot of high utilization in areas, Virgin rolling out high speed lines willy nilly, but not keeping tabs on upgrading the infrastructure.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!