Retro Club - 8 & 16-bit puzzlers
  • Just remembered a section I found odd in this - the undead oarsman that whisks you off to a faraway cave that contains an orb that allows you to call the boatman.   I assume it can be used elsewhere as he ferries you both ways without it, but where and to what end?
  • Found the confessions box too, that was a nice addition.
  • I had the thunder helm equipped which did help, but not enough. I have tons of items but nothing that would obviously help at a glance.

I'll boot it up again tomorrow to mop up the unexplored screens/rooms and give it another go.

Is there an extended ending to getting everything in the game?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Found the confessions box too, that was a nice addition.

Yeah; that was great. Freaky.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I think there are a few endings. Not that much difference I don’t think? Beat last boss with most of the castle uncovered to get the best ending.
  • Played for another 2 hours and found 1 extra secret room, which makes 2 if you take the inverted Castle into account.

Levelled up twice but still can't last a minute against Galamoth.

I don't get why they game is so easy yet this fight is so hard, there's no difficulty curve at all, it just goes from piss easy to one impossible side boss, literally no inbetween.

I can't even find a pattern to him, it's just a relentless massacre.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • How long should we run SotN? In no rush to change game but if we're all done with the various degrees of dabbling I'll wrap it up.
  • I'm nearly done, @nick_md is playing, not sure if anyone else is?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Yeah sorry I've been dragging my heels, I rarely play games during the week; I'm off work til Monday now so will stick a shift in.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'm falling past the Event Horizon of Cuphead at the minute....so I'm not involved sadly.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PSP)

I could write several paragraphs about the minor negatives of this game, but they're just that, minor. They're almost all forgiven because it plays like every Castlevania before it, bloody brilliant.

There's something so simple and satisfying about CV for me. Even something as simple as jumping and hitting a candle evokes fun, it just feels great.

But, there's one flaw that seriously lets it down, the lack of difficulty. The last game I played where the difficulty hurt a game overall like this was The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds.

Unfortunately it's not just the combat, but also the way the Metroidvania (ergh) castle opens up. It feels like a Metroidvania lite, it doesn't have enough moments of unlocking a new ability and having that excitement of going back to unlock new areas. It's just to straight forward to complete.

Also, the inverted castle, bit disappointing tbh. It just felt like a missed opportunity. Everything was almost exactly the same, right down to the secret areas.

So yeah not as good as I was expecting or hoping. It didn't live up to the Metroid or Vania parts of the awful portmanteau that the genre has adopted, but it's by no means a bad game. Its still a very good one in fact, and had it been more challenging or the castle more creative in the basic progression it would have been a 5, as it is...

4/5

My Reviews

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Agree with all of that. Even the bit about Zelda ALBW being disappointingly easy. :)
  • I put several into into this last weekend, will write thoughts next weekend I promise, feel free to move onto the next game in the meantime ofc.

One thing I love is that yes, back dashing and tapping block in-between does speed you backwards constantly. Love that kind off stuff.
  • Anyone up for some suggestions for next game?

I got plenty again if not.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Spiderman games?  Was cycling through a load on the Pi recently, actually stumbled on a GBA effort that felt (and sounded) pretty good.  I'd be up for an unfocused dabble with the character.  The MD game has aged poorly, but Maximum Carnage felt better than reviews at the time suggested, for example.  

If people want something less scattershot I'm happy to pick from suggestions.
  • Can we do a Ghostbusters special then Spiderman?

I'm currently playing the 2009 game on Switch, gonna watch the movies at some point this week also.

I have the NES game HAL Laboratories made and the Mega Drive game, they both received a decent amount of praise back in the day.

Outside of those I'm not sure there were many other good ones, although there was a decent arcade game for any MAME users here.

There were new generation Ghostbusters games on the GBA to, no idea how good they were.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I'm up for that, will change the thread title if no-one objects.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Heh. Remember playing Ghostbusters on an 8bit micro - must have been the CPC464..

There was huge hype about it at the time - I remember watching the attract screen in the shops - first thing I noticed was the title screen scrolling the lyrics along the bottom of the screen to old chiptune music and a bouncing ball moving over the words. There was some scratchy speech too. :)  The c64 version was considered the best re sound I think.  The 2600 may have even got a late port.

The game wasn't up to much but I played it a fair bit - pretty sure I completed the version I played and got a fairly uninspiring completion screen. Think you had to get so many men past Mr Stay Puft at the very end? 

I may try the later versions.  It felt unfinished. I think the NES version got special attention from the AVGN...
  • I'm up for GBs.

I put a good number of hours into SotN two weekends ago, it's just about got some claws into me but clearly not enough for me to boot it back up. Having said that, I have been very preoccupied with RDR2 atm so perhaps once I clear that out of the way I'll get back on it. My gut feeling is a 3.5/5 atm, I enjoy it whilst playing but the lack of challenge and lack (so far) of needing to make use of a lot of the stuff I'm getting is hampering it.
  • Thread changed then, if you do go back in at some point let us know Nick. I can live with a 3.5/5 for now though, it does feel odd for a CV game to be such a pushover.
  • Ghostbusters was my favourite game on the c64. You're right Davy, you had to get 2 men past the marsh mellow man. If you did, you'd go directly to the top of the building and cross the streams.

I think this was way ahead of its time, once you finished the game you would get a sort of new game plus thing where you could spend the money you earned on better starting equipment and do it all over again. Catching slimers was well executed to, you'd have to position 2 men and a trap and time when to close the streams in and then when to fire the trap. I never got bored of that.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    i loaded up the 2600 version in Stella and I have to say I'm impressed with it as a tech achievement. It certainly seems better than the CPC464 version I remember playing.

Has that bloody tune going all the time though - not the 2600's strong suit.....still...Activision could really work wonders on that old box at that time.
  • Are we doing a specific Ghostbusters, or just any from the series?

Will try to delve into some at the weekend.
  • Any game with the license I reckon.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I can't put a finger on it, but that does indeed make me happy. Cheers
  • Played about 20 mins of the Mega Drive game.

It's ok but the shooting feels a little clunky, definitely not bad but I'm not sure it's worth playing.

Will give it more time over the weekend.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'm tooling myself with emus at the mo - have MAME, Stella, MD, SNES, NES and N64 all up and running nicely. Got a Sega model2 going too - have Sega Rally and Daytona going on it - swish. 

Even have a Dreamcast one going now which is sort of holding up OK - certain games hammer the framerate but others do OK - good work on my PC which isn't really geared up for gaming. I don't see the point of it really as I can burn my own just as easily but handy for a quick check of something instead getting the external CD writer out.

Up until now I've only really joined in when I've had a cartridge so I'll be able to do more in this thread now.
  • Ghostbusters (MD)

Did not enjoy this unfortunately, got to level 3 out of 6 before giving up and deleting the ROM. Feels a bit clunky and the sprite size to screen ratio means it's often easier to take a hit than it should be. 

Also it doesn't feel much like a Ghostbusters game. You very rarely use the proton pack, instead relying on projectiles. Also where's Winston?

I do like the stylised graphics and the music is decent enough. The option to play the first few levels in any order, and the presentation of them being cases you accept on the city grid are nice touches.

It's not a terrible game, but I feel there were far better games available on the Mega Drive in 1990, let alone the intervening years.

2/5
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The game was relying on the licence. That much is clear.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!