Retro Club - 8 & 16-bit puzzlers
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    I really enjoyed the MD Ghostbusters game back in the day, though that could be rose tinted goggles of course.
    I remember it being quite tough too?
  • I really loved the version that was ported to the GameBoy. I'll have a play of a selection this evening.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • I'll go through what I've got on the Pi tonight.  Was never a fan of the MD game, didn't play it until a few years after release and it struck me as something that you had to be in for at the time.
  • Turns out my Pi has busted/given up the ghost. Must've been bashed about in a bag when I took it to the caravan recently :(
  • New Ghostbusters II (NES)

At its core this game has all the makings of being an 8-Bit classic. The gameplay consists of picking two Ghostbusters out of five (Louis is an option which is a nice touch), your main one shoots the proton pack with the A button and the secondary one follows in your footsteps and uses the trap with a push of the B button. It works well and is good fun.

It's got a couple of minor oddities such as being able to shoot and capture ghosts through walls, and Winston is green thanks to the low colours on screen of the NES. Also the secondary Ghostbusters AI can get stuck behind walls at times. It happened twice to me in my hour play through, neither resulted in death fortunatley.

They're forgivable imo, but unfortunatley what isn't is it's far to short, easy and simple for its own good.

The game basically consists of going into an area, clearing it of ghosts, then following an arrow telling you where to go next. Now it didn't need Zelda levels of puzzles, but a few simple ones chucked in and some optional collectables etc would have helped flesh it out and keep it more interesting.

The bosses are also poor for the most part, two were ok but the final boss was terrible.

Despite all this, I really enjoyed it. The basic mechanics are fun, and it does a decent job of feeling like a Ghostbusters game instead of something more standard in Ghostbusters clothing.

I really feel with a bit more time and effort it could have been a great game, as it is it's merely good.

3/5

My Reviews

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I can't ghost bust atm as I'm not emulator equipped. Can we switch to Gain Ground for a few weeks? I've never played it and it's in a Switch sale. The MAME, MD and MS roms are probably in most people's libraries.

Will do some Ghostbusters when I can.
  • I'm happy to move on, MD one was a bit pish, NES one was ok.

Anyone else check any out?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Only the 2600 version. Technically solid but the game itself is a snore-fest. Just as I found it back when it first appeared on the C64.

Further evidence that the fact I always avoided licence tie ins was wise indeed. :)
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Some N64 racing games I recently played in the 52 games in a year thread:

Cruis'n USA (N64)

An undeniably bad game that I find oddly enjoyable to boot up every few years.

It has about as much depth as the sprites that make up most of the scenery, and it was never as good as it's arcade contemporaries in 1994. By the time it launched on the N64 (1998 In the UK!) it was basically a historic relic of the early Ultra 64 hype machine.

If 1/10 Is a broken game, and 2/10 is something so bad you cannot bear to play it, I guess this comes next. As bad as it is, it's not offensively so imo, and the credits were rolling before I'd had enough.

2/5

Cruis'n World (N64) 

So after playing Cruis'n USA again this year, curiosity has got the better of me and I've decided to play the two sequels before deleting the ROMs.

The positives? It's nice and colourful, I wish Top Gear Overdrive had this much vibrancy to be fair. Erm, thats about it.

The pop up is even worse than in USA, possibly the worst I've seen on the N64. Outside of that it's essentially an expansion pak to that game, all new stages for what its worth.

So yeah, terrible. I'd say worse than USA simply because this came out years later and made no improvements, and USA has a bit more significance in the history of the Nintendo (Ultra) 64.

1/5

Cruis'n Exotica (N64)

To be fair just about everything in this game is better than the previous two. Pop up is still bad but not as bad. Controls are a bit more responsive but still poor. Tracks have more to them, alternative routes and better design all round but are still sub par.

At the end of the day it's cut from the same cloth, and the incremental improvements the series made only made it fall further behind the competition, which were doing much more.

1/5

Top Gear Overdrive (N64)

The fifth generation of consoles was the last pocket money generation for me, so there was plenty of games I wanted that I never got around to playing. Unlike 8/16-Bit consoles though, I never felt the urge to collect for my PS or N64 after they were contemporary.

Since purchasing the PlayStation Classic and an Everdrive for the N64, I'm finally getting around to checking out some of those games I spent hours reading about in the monthly mags.

After initially booting up Top Gear Overdrive I was quite optimistic it was indeed one of the good games that I'd missed out on back in the day. The handling had a nice weighty arcade feel to it, so it was one of the ROMs that made it pass my initial cuts. Unfortunately, the more time I put in the less I enjoyed it.

For a game of its era it looks pretty good. There is literally no pop-up from what I saw, something that plagued the era for the most part. Everything is nice and solid and the car models are decent, there's also some nice light effects, but what lets it down is the drab colour palette. There's no fog and the fuzzy™ N64 graphics aren't to bad here at all, but unfortunately everything just seems brown or grey and it really makes the whole thing feel lifeless.

The music is what it is, its all done by a grunge band called Grindstone. Whilst not awful, its all to similar so I soon muted it. Unfortunately the sound effects aren't the best either, so from an audio perspective its a bit of a dud.

The game is set out in six seasons, there are only seven tracks, which is bad by todays standards but about average for the time. The game employs the usual tricks of the time to lengthen the experience, alternative routes, reverse and mirror modes and weather effects. It works well enough to be fair.

Where it really fell apart for me though was the crash physics. If you go over a hill to fast you simply fly off into the horizon and explode. This is manageable with a bit of track memorisation, but what isn't is the inconsistency in crashing. Sometimes you bump into a wall at 120mph and be fine, others you'll tap your bumper and simply explode into a ball of fire. This also happens when landing after a jump, 20ft drop? No problem. 5ft drop? BOOM!

Fortunately crashing isn't the end of the race and you restart from the scene pretty quickly, but a few of these unfortunate crashes in a race will result in it being impossible secure a top 3 finish, it happens far to often and really takes the shine off an otherwise decent racer.

At the end of the day this is a bit of a deal breaker. If the air and crash physics were better this would have been one of the N64s better racers, as it is its unfortunately not one to remember.

2/5
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Might give it a shot. Enjoying the NES-on-Switch quite a bit at the minute though. :)
  • I've somehow played 600 odd minutes of Dr. Mario through that.

Convenience plus one more go gaming is a dangerous combination.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I consider Dr. Mario to be highly under-rated - I find it more addictive than most puzzle games. Even as a 2 player game it's entertaining as it's pretty much a straight race unless you come up against a real elite player - the Classic Tetris World tournament has started running Dr. Mario as a fringe competition and some of those players reign pieces down on their opponent.

The Wii got a splendid implementation. I clocked up a lot of time on it online. It was coded by Arika (the TGM and Tetris 99 people).

I had it written off as a Columns clone. First experienced it on the Tetris + Dr. Mario cartridge for SNES. That's a nice version too - brutal CPU versus mode on it.
  • It is great, up there with Tetris Attack/Panel De Pon.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The SNES game had a special mode called mixed match. Was a 2P versus score attack game.

You had to clear 25 Tetris lines, then clear a Dr. Mario level, then back to endless Tetris until a time limit expired. You could tweak the options (garbage level in Tetris-B, no. of viruses in Dr Mario, Tetris A speed and time limit). Was a nice little mode for 2 if they are evenly matched in skill. It was all about how fast you could get to the final Tetris match to pile on the points.
  • I never got round to trying any Ghostbusters but I've a week off now so am up for a new challenge, any suggestions? I'm throwing Pocky & Rocky into the hat as I fancy trying it out.
  • I'm always up for this thread.

I think we was meant to change to Gain Ground but it never happened.

What's happening @Moot_Geeza ?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I'm happy to do any game tbh, Gain Ground a MD? Will give me the push to get an MD emu on my smini if so.
  • I've got no emulator at the mo, retro pie busted and gave my PSP to a mate. Need to get my PS Mini to retro or bite the bullet with my Vita. Not really up for adding stuff to my laptop because it's a piece of shit.

Something on those NES/SNES Switch emulators maybe, while I sort my shit out? I guess most would have access to those (via emulation).
  • What needs doing to a PS mini to sort emu out? I could try to set you up tomorrow if needed.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There's a few of those (S)NES games on Switch I heard of but never played..it's refreshing to see a ROM collection with a handful of games like that.

Operation Logic Bomb is one I remember reading about. Think it was quite rare. No idea what the genre is though.

Incidentally there's a really nice shmup in the SNES ROMset. Pop n Twinbee is a lovely vertical shooter. I had the cart back in the day but sold it - one of the few regrets attached to my clearout - the JP version is quite easy to get so my intention to is replace it at some point. Nice to be able to play it in the meantime.  I think we may have already covered that in the retro club though.
  • nick_md wrote:
    What needs doing to a PS mini to sort emu out? I could try to set you up tomorrow if needed.

I need a usb stick and something else I've got a link for. Haven't ordered yet.
  • davyK wrote:
    Operation Logic Bomb is one I remember reading about. Think it was quite rare. No idea what the genre is though.

I suggested that on here a while ago, anyone else up for it until @Moot_Geeza gets his emulation sorted?

It's a top down 8 way shooter, played ok from the brief 5mins I gave it.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Go for it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Jaleco were a bit dodgy but that looks solid enough.
  • They did True Lies didn't they :eyes:
  • True Lies was Beam Software.

This is infinitely better than that from what I played, so don't worry to much.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Beam software are awesome. Loved their work on SNES SmashTV and Shadowrun. That explains the interest in True Lies.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • I thought Jaleco were the publisher with the rainbow logo but that was LJN, apologies.

True Lies was pretty bad when we revisited a few months back.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!