Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Oh, 'shoot for', I med a shit joke.
  • Everyone except me perhaps, as I can't get the MAME emulator to work on my Caanoo GP32X.  It's supposed to be a piece of piss, but I've followed the step by step Youtube vids as I did with the SNES/MD emus, but the games won't load properly.  I might try again later, as I'm desperate to play the Robocop arcade game again.
  • Played the up to the first boss on the MD version.  It actually reminds me of the Robocop arcade game slightly.  Pretty good so far.
  • I could possibly have MAME on my oldbox. 
    Maybe I could try sticking it onto the PC connected to the TV. 
    Would prob have more of a chance of playing on PSP though.
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Just finished Sunset Riders.  The final boss is a bit cheap and it's woefully short (I played the Megadrive version, which has four levels split into eight stages), but it was enjoyable nonetheless.  The whole thing took around 35 minutes, which isn't particularly great.  Graphics and sound were fine, but none of the tunes grabbed me in the way I was expecting for an early 90s Konami game. 

The highlight of the game for me was its deft handling of the struggles between Cowboys and Indians; after working your way through a an entire tribe of Native Americans, decimating all who stand in your path, you come face to face with their chief, whom you riddle with bullets after he says something like 'it's bang bang time'.  After an epic battle your adversary falls to the ground, and his sister runs onto the screen to plead with your cowboy hero.  "Please don't shoot my brother" she says, just in the nick of time, "he was only following orders".   Instead of unloading into their faces, your touching response is "alright ma'am", before the screen fades to black.  Poignant stuff. 

I'd give it a pre High Five era C+VG 78%, accompanied by a restrained review bemoaning its lastability, but probably praising the simultaneous two player mode that I didn't get a chance to try this week, and pointing out that it's a decent game while it lasts. 

Also, I don't care if none of you fuckers are playing, can I have some more suggestions for next week please, 'cos I'm gonna crack on.
  • James Pond?!
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Are you the guy who voted for Robocod in the Best Games Ever thread??
  • Haha,no but I do have fond memories of it.
  • I used to love it, but I've got a horrible feeling it won't have aged well.  If it receives more votes I'll stick it in.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Marko's Magic Football.
  • Go! Go! Beckham > Soccer Kid > Marko's Magic Football.
  • Emylyn Hughes!
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I ain't played those two other games you mentioned so I can only assume you just laid the smackdown on my personal taste and told me what the moot is cookin'.
  • Loved sunset riders despite never being able to get very far in it. Coincidently, i've been playing it on the 3DS very recently (via emmulation).

I vote Battletoads in Battlemaniacs for next week.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Is it any version of Sunset Riders?
  • Olimite wrote:
    Is it any version of Sunset Riders?

Yeah, whichever you fancy.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    I ain't played those two other games you mentioned so I can only assume you just laid the smackdown on my personal taste and told me what the moot is cookin'.

Ha, I thought you were sowing the seeds of a 'let's make Moot play shit games' trend.  By way of apology I'll play Marko's Magic Football while I wait for the votes to come in for next week's game (which could end up being MMF anyway, let's not rule it out).  Perhaps it's better than it looked in the mags....

Edit: Domark.  That's a name I haven't heard for about 15 years.
  • Bit of a difficulty spike when you return to Suburbia eh?  I'm up to the Circus level now, but it's suddenly gone from jumpers from goalposts on a breezy Sunday afternoon to an interesting football anaology that would denote something far less relaxed.

Edit: Chronic lasagne-induced squirty bum time for Spurs before their final league game against West Ham in '06, needing to match Arsenal's result to finish in a CL spot.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Yeah I remember the game being quite hard generally when I was a kid. Glad to get the impression you're enjoying it somewhat.
  • I've got to admit it's very good so far, so humble pie for tea, I guess I'll add it to the growing list of games I shouldn't have dismissed it as a kid.  If it turns out Boogerman is good too I'll be eating my hat for dessert.
  • Marko's Magic Football completed.  I shall award it 84% despite the difficulty spike, as it eased off a little towards the end.
  • Gun.Smoke NES

Keep with the wild west theme
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Took me 25 minutes to realise the stages on Gun Smoke loop unless you buy a wanted poster.
  • Can I have some more votes for next week please?  Seems to just be me plugging away at these so far, but I'm happy to do so.  I finished the NES version of Gun Smoke yesterday, which was absolutely brilliant.  Secret Command was the closest I got to that as a Master System owning kid (or The Ninja perhaps, which was also excellent).  It might be my favourite non-Mario NES game.  I'm not sure if it was a simultaneous two player game at home, but if it was, and it didn't cause too much slowdown/flicker, it could be pretty close to the perfect 8-bit game.
  • James Pond? ;)
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Shit Moot I keep forgetting.

I will stick to this weeks, whatever it is.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I was just about to post my own apologies. My week just went insanely quick and I had much more of my time bagsied to other things.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • It might be James Pond :)  Which one Hodge?  Deadline for voting is at some point tonight, JP is currently chip leader.

Edit: No need for apologies, dip in and out when you fancy, I'm planning on getting through a game a week though. Playing other people's suggestions is great motivation.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Took me 25 minutes to realise the stages on Gun Smoke loop unless you buy a wanted poster.

Haha, classic. The wanted posters are also hidden in each of the levels so you dont actually have to buy them

Im impressed you done this one so quick, I love it, probably in my top 10 NES games. Do you prefer it to Sunset Riders?

I'll vote for James Pond too.

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Sunset Riders was good, but Gun.Smoke was excellent.  I try to assess retro games I've never played as if I'm appreciating them on release, if that makes sense.  That way I can still be impressed by layers of parallax, FMV INTROS ON CART and sampled speech etc.  Gun.Smoke is a 94%er. 

I'd rather play Robocod than the original James Pond, so I'll vote for that.  Will update the OP later.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!