Retro Club - 8 & 16-bit puzzlers
  • The was a game of the Amiga very similar to Choplifter called Apocalypse. I only ever had a demo of the first level but I loved it, the helicopter handled a bit better than Choplifter which made a big difference.

Ha, HOMAGE.  I remember wanting my mate to get Zeewolf based on the demo, but he never did.  

As mentioned, Red Zone is my get to the chopper game:

Not just a technical marvel, it's genuinely good to learn how to beat it - 'cos it's tough - and the on foot sections, while slow paced, are decent too.
  • Anyone after a bit more time on these, or can I wrap it up/move on?
  • Nah I'm done. I may try and complete desert strike one day but I'm done for now.
  • Random ting this time then, then we'll get back to genre head-to-heads.

Suggest a game you'd describe as ONE TO RENT, whether it was something you owned, have emulated since or indeed rented in your younger days.  You know the thing - criminally short to the point of tears if you'd paid £45 for it, or maybe a game you enjoyed that's got 69% written all over it.  Or even something intriguing that just didn't quite work.  

The disgustingly short games tend to make pretty good retro fodder.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Half of the Dreamcast library probably fits the bill.  :)
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Dynamite Cop and/or Zombie Revenge
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    16bit-wise:

MD : Subterrania : Superb game but only a handful of levels. A determined weekend would see it off I reckon.
    SNES : There's was a Kirby compilation cart that was lovely but wouldn't have had a lot of lasting value.
  • Wasn't thats Superstar Saga or something like that?
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Disagree with Sub-Terrania, but only because it took me ages to beat (and it's one of my faves).  The last few stages are tough.  

I found myself being disappointed with a lot of things I was looking forward to on Dreamcast.  Trickstyle, Sega Rally 2, Furfighters.  I enjoyed both, but were Space Channel 5 and Confidential Mission worth the money?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    As good as DC arcade ports were, £40-£50 for a 30min game was hard to swallow.
  • Alex Kidd in Shinobi World.  Probably the second best Kidd game, which shows what a crappy mascot he was in fairness, but weighs in at an are-you-kidding-me 25 minutes or so once you know the stages.

Edit: Four levels, and one of those mostly consists of a pre-bigbad boss-rush.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Wasn't thats Superstar Saga or something like that?

Think it was Kirby Superstar or Kirby Fun Pack depending on the region?
  • Soleil: MD Zelda-alike which is great but too short and a bit of a breeze.  Bought for £50 and finished it in a weekend.  Fortunate that I worked at Game at the time and could get a refund.
  • Tough crowd.  I remember that one being around 12hrs long.  Thor was the one that felt a bit wrong at <8hrs.  Great game but for an action RPG that's abitofaswizz.
  • Nope. HLTB lists Soleil at 8hrs and Story of Thor at 6.  Maybe Soleil didn't have a clock and it just felt a bit longer.  I remember getting all the animal buddies, but maybe that was required for completion.
  • It just ended quite abruptly and seemed as though there should've been more. And once completed there didn't seem any reason to play more.

it is a good game though, hence mentioning it here. i played through it again a few years ago and still enjoyed it. But £50 for a couple of days' play was a hit i couldn't afford to take.

Thor definitely took me longer to get through. Perhaps progress was slower and it was a bit more challenging. But yeah, still a tad short.
  • Actually the ultimate one of these is probably Castle of illusion on the MD. Never bought it but played it at a mate's house. Second go and it was done, and no real reason to play it again. Looked nice though.
  • Most Disney games fall into this.

I remember doing the same with Duck Tales on NES.

Perfectly playable but too short and easy.

Darkwing (Mega Man) Duck on the other hand...
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Buster Busts Loose would probably be considered a rental too. I paid full price (£50 in '92-3 yikes) but didn't feel short changed. Loved that game.
  • Apparently Disney got wind of this and didn't want their games completed in a single rental so they forced the devs to put in a balls hard level a few levels in. The Lion King has that stupid monkey swinging bit, Aladdin has one as well.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Some of Konami's games (Buster Busts Loose is a case in point) had an easy mode that left some sections out so you didn't see the whole game.

They should have extended that to a hard mode instead of just shortening your health bar.

Thing is - these games were enjoyable. Back then a game's difficulty was its badge of honour but being entertaining gives more value. Nintendo were very good at that - building a game that isn't too hard to complete but offers a challenge up for experts without resorting to hit points or health points.

Building some sort of replay value into a simple game can, with a bit of thought, add a pile of value.
  • davyK wrote:
    Buster Busts Loose would probably be considered a rental too. I paid full price (£50 in '92-3 yikes) but didn't feel short changed. Loved that game.
    Same here. Some games were just fun to play through repeatedly.
  • Played some Choplifter III.

It's ok, nothing special but decent enough. The aiming seems a bit rough, especially for the special weapons.

Hard to judge only playing for 5 levels, but I think it's good enough to keep on the Pi.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • It's probably one to rent in fairness. 

Also - Ren & Stimpy on Megadrive.  Don't try to play this now, it's shit, but at the time it was just about passable due to the co-op thing.  Terribly short, and on reappraisal doesn't play well either.  I convinced my mate to buy it at the time, oops.
  • Super Smash Flash 2 unblocked Do you believe that for what reason would individuals like to play this game? Your psyche made the correct inquiry.The solution to your inquiry is that this game has extra and phenomenal highlights. In addition, the employments of this game are clear, and it has the alternative to play this game more than one character.
  • Uhhhhhhhhhhhh
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • So what are we playing next then.
  • I'm in a Mega Drive mood.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Who just deleted their account?

edit:Just realised its a spam bot or an impersonation of one.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!