Retro Club - 8 & 16-bit puzzlers
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'm going for a 1CC on Layer Section (Saturn) at the mo. That's taking up much of my game time at present.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Played through Alien Storm last week.  It's as middling as I remember it really.  Doesn't trouble the upper or lower tiers of retro scrolling beat 'em ups, which in its own way is impressive for such an early 16-bit release, but it's all a bit clunky.  The music isn't anywhere near as toe-tappy as I remember either, and was quite forgettable barring a couple of early standout tunes.  The shooting gallery level breakers are okay, there are certainly worse bonus stages out there, but nobody really wants to play an below par Operation Wolf clone with a dpad, do they?  I expect things would've improved with a second player, but it reeks of 'weekend rental' for 1990, which equates to 53% in adjusted for deflation modern money.
  • This one didn't grab anyone by the goolies, unless I'm reading the room wrong.  Any suggestions for the next one?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Might seem a bit obvious - but DKC2 & 3 are now available to online Switch subs.  I gave 2 a quick spin and it seemed rather good?
  • https://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/nintendo-switch/aleste_collection

Have fond memories of gg Aleste and this sega 8-bit collection by m2 looks excellent. I hope they'll also release a 16-bit compilation. Compile is the grandaddy of vertical shooters.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Huh, I never realised Aleste was the Jpn title for Power Strike.  I had the first one on MS.  

Would be happy to play either Donkey Kong Country 2 (only played the original and the Returns games to completion) or a selection of Aleste games, will go with a show of hands.
  • If you've ever played snes Space Megaforce/Super Aleste it's a dead giveaway ;-p
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Super Aleste is a real eyebrow raiser - a technical marvel on the SNES which wasn't a good platform for shmups.
  • Super Aleste or DKC3 get my votes.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • So, whats happening?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I started DKC3 end of last year so if that was picked it'd give me the impetus to get back on this.
  • I think I'm going to play an Aelste or two first as I'm interested in taking a look, but I'll make DKC3 the official topic.
  • I've always wanted to explore the dkc series. Aleste series is fine for me too.
  • Right, I've changed the topic to DKC series in general as I'd rather play 2 than 3.
  • Anyone played the GBA ones? Are they just straight ports?
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Right, I've changed the topic to DKC series in general as I'd rather play 2 than 3.

Have you never played 2?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • monkey wrote:
    Anyone played the GBA ones? Are they just straight ports?

I played the first 2 on GBA as well as SNES. Much more of a straight port that the Super Mario Advance series from what I remember. SNES is definitely the way to go if you have the choice much better graphics and sound. GBA is fine though, especially if the handheld element helps you get more time to play.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I've only played Country, Country Returns and Tropical Freeze to completion. Played the first on GBA and it was fine. Sound isn't as good as the SNES one apparently and the visuals look a bit less sharp but it's a good port.
  • I bought 2 on GBA but it was a dodgy cart and wouldn't save. I'll play it on Switch this time.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    If I play dkc1 on the SNES mini am I allowed in to the cool club?
  • You have to take part in back to back selections to get the sew on badge kit but posting thoughts on DKC would get you on the mailing list.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I bought 2 on GBA but it was a dodgy cart and wouldn't save. I'll play it on Switch this time.

2 is possibly the best one.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • monkey wrote:
    Anyone played the GBA ones? Are they just straight ports?

I played the first 2 on GBA as well as SNES. Much more of a straight port that the Super Mario Advance series from what I remember. SNES is definitely the way to go if you have the choice much better graphics and sound. GBA is fine though, especially if the handheld element helps you get more time to play.
    I’d be emulating either on handhelds anyway. Just thought it might be a Mario Advance thing. I’ll give the Snes ones a go.
  • I've heard good things. I've also been struggling to commit to anything after my two week TLOU2 blow out so an unplayed highly regarded entry in a series I'm keen on sounds perfect to me.
  • Are you guys familiar with the 'save point'? It's a DKC2 video of Stickerbush Symphony with a Japanese description that apparently finds its way into people's youtube algorithm, and the popular thought is that it's a 'save point' of life, and if you get it in your list, you're a main character. Like, if you see it pop up in your recommended vids (as I did) then you've reached a save point in life.

Ofc it's bollocks, it's just the algorithm, but I love the idea of it. You've reached x years, this is your save point.

This is the video that popped up on my recommend vids one day:

...this is the vid that talks about it:

...I dropped a comment on a different version, and it's by far the most commented on thing I've ever done, I get daily notifications about people responding. I think there's something about this piece of music that just makes people stop and take stock, it's such a brilliant, beautiful piece of music (the DKC snes series in general has amazing music). I really enjoy the whole idea of the 'save point' and the piece of music itself.

I posted this comment on my bday whilst rather pissed and feeling emotional, apologies:

Anyway, I'll enjoy playing DKC3 this month.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Completed DKC when it was contemporary. DKCR on Wii is excellent but I never completed it. It's a tough 'un.

I have heard DKC2 is the best of the original trilogy. I've played it a bit on Switch and it's a quality game. Has me contemplating picking up the trilogy for SFC as it's affordable and will make for nice collecting.
  • Loving DKC2 so far but I wish the games in the SNES app were a bit louder on Switch, I could do with at least 30% more welly.  Ireckon Tropical Freeze is one of the finest 2D platformers ever made - possibly the best co-op platformer money can buy in fact - but there's a distinct lack on animals to ride in that one on the whole.  Still, it makes up for it with minecarts coming out its ears, but the seemingly plentiful rhino/swordfish/snake etc bits in DKC2 are decent.
  • This one starts off looking slightly iffy, the galleon stages are a bit drab and it's not a visual style time has been kind to on the whole imo, but things pick up pretty quickly.  I'm halfway through an underwater stage where you control the light source, and there's some neat 3D object tricks going on in the background with a wooden beam.  Plus everything has an underwater ripple effect that would've made my socks roll up and down as a 14yr old.  

I've said it before and I don't mind saying it again, the original game is well up there with the most jealous I've ever been as a Segaboy.  Streetfighter 2: World Warrior, Link to the Past, DKC, Mario 64, FFVII (when I ended up buckling and buying my first ever non Sega console) is the WELLJEL top 5 I'd say.  If you really listen the super-low sound is that special sort of SNES beefy too.
  • One more - is there a better feeling in gaming than staying airbourne by successfully bouncing on a succession of stuff in a good 2D platformer?  Especially when a button press at the point of impact gives you extra air.  Loving the dragonfly hopping in the swamp stages.
  • I have a lot of love for the original DKC. I still have my copy with its £79.99 price tag attached. 

I can blast through the opening stages up until the snow levels like its muscle memory. 

My younger sister was terrible at games back in the day, but I'll never forget the time when she accidentally found THAT shortcut on the first mine cart level in DKC. Mouth wide open moment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!