Retro Club - 8 & 16-bit puzzlers
  • Hah, another one I worked on albeit briefly in QA capacity :)
  • Now you'll never know.
  • How long do we get? A week? I’ll start on lost vikings and see what happens.
  • Longer I think.  Two weeks as a rough guideline, with extra time/less time if requested.
  • Yeah two weeks sounds about right if it’s two games.
  • Played a bit of these this evening.  I didn't last long on Puggsy, saw the Game Over screen within a handful of levels.  It's pretty good without striking me as outstanding, but I've barely scratched the surface.  The titular (testicular?) hero is animated nicely, and there's some interesting items physics for an early 90's platformer, but I'm not too keen on the controls.  Will try again tomorrow.  

Lost Vikings is a cracker.  Ignoring the hideous future RAWK thing - that title screen music, such nineties - and some uninspired rubber stamp locations, the switch heroes mechanic works extremely well.  Hopefully it maintains a cleverness to the puzzling without opting for annoying cheapness to halt progression, which is something that tended to let this sort of thing down.  Promising stuff so far though.
  • Just quickly done the first two levels of The Lost Vikings.

Seems very good from first impressions, I can see why it's regarded highly.

Will try and play more of it over the coming week.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I played both and found Puggsy a bit fiddly, graphically a bit washed out and aurally monotonous. There's depth there and I've noticed that it's not just about getting out of the level as quick as you can, there seem to be quite a bit to do to find the best item to leave the level with, but the fidelity in the control isn't there and I got a bit frustrated. I'll give it another go, it may be me.

Lost Vikings 2 though is another level. Really easy to get into, great controls, graphics, lovely characterisation and satisfying puzzling so far. If it does get harder I welcome it as long as moot says it does become to obtuse or platformy!
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Anyone else put any time in?

The Lost Vikings is shaping up to get a high rating from me, I do fear it might get too tough for me though.

I like puzzle platformers but I'm a bit crap at them tbh. Mighty Flip Switch, Mario VS DK, Pullblox and Solomon's Key are all games I really enjoyed but ended up hitting a wall and gave up on.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I will at some point but my mind keeps going blank everytime I put the pie on.

Like when you go into HMV with a voucher and you suddenly forget your entire musical tastes.
  • I went back to Lost Vikings for a few more stages.  The main sprites (including animation) are quality.  Id always assumed it was just a functional looker, but it's pretty easy on the eye.  Might watch a walkthrough this afternoon to check out a few more puzzles/locations.  Will also play Puggsy again, perhaps with a password to see what goes on later in the game, but there's only one 'winner' for me this month.
  • I will at some.point but my mind keeps going blank everytime I put the pie on. Like when you go into HMV with a voucher and you suddenly forget your entire musical tastes.

Most of what I've played on it so far is utter shite that I delete straight after playing, my plan was to go through everything only keeping the good stuff.

Its essentially an impossible task though. I think I'd be better off deleting everything I've not played and just add stuff when I actually play and decide on keeping or not then.

This thread has and could really help with that. I'd never have played Ranger X for example but now its an MD fav of mine.

Basically I only want about 100 games per system.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • the lost vikings is the better game
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • @Retro
    I'm still enjoying dipping into stuff at the moment, even the shit stuff I find interesting.
    I try to imagine what it would be like if this game was one of the 3 or 4 games a kid would have had back in the day.

I will eventually cull though, there is also the favourites option of course.

I should really just delete most sports games though.
  • I love the trial and error method.  We never would've played that Japanese RPG fighting game with the horse cut scenes without the lottery system.
  • @Retro I'm still enjoying dipping into stuff at the moment, even the shit stuff I find interesting. I try to imagine what it would be like if this game was one of the 3 or 4 games a kid would have had back in the day. I will eventually cull though, there is also the favourites option of course. I should really just delete most sports games though.

Literally the first thing I did. I kept about half a dozen.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    I played Puggsy for a bit but seemed very run of the mill. Didn't really seem to have much going for it. Must have completely passed me by at the time.
  • I don't think I need to play Puggsy to know I won't like it. Giving Lost Vikings a blast though. Seems alright.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I might play LandStalker soon. Any interest?
  • Perhaps not as a head to head, action RPGs are a bit time consuming for a group retro run, but I'll put it in as a wildcard week.  The one after next?

I'm a huge fan of the game.  First 16-meg MD cart and so on.  Had to work hard as a kid to earn the money to pay for the 2nd hand copy I reserved in Terry's Games, held for one week only.  "What about Friday, dad?".  Nigel said yes.
  • I'll run this one until Monday, I fancy another go tonight anyway.  

Next out the pot are:

QUESTOR from the Nintendo Boys. 

with a similar Sega title to be suggested by OLI

I can't be bothered to stick to the rules with the random genres, even though I wrote a load out at work last time, so I'll just choose the loose definition of ACTION PLATFORMER.  So anything between a humble platformer and a straight run 'n gun.   Thinking caps on please.
  • I'll play some of the current picks over the weekend lads, sorry for not contributing yet.
  • Puggsy
    Got stuck almost instantly on level 2. Just looked up how to do it, yeah Fuck this game, I wouldn't have worked that out in a month of Sundays.

Lost Vikings
    I will come back to this when in the mood. Seems a decent game. Is there a way to resurrect Vikings? Seems odd that if one dies you can't finish the level but it doesnt cause a game over either.
    Not so keen on traipsing the same level three times over every time either.
  • What is Questor?
    Can't find anything about it online, the 5th google link is this bloody place.
  • Who, not what.

Because Questor is a badger:
    Questor wrote:
    Damn I'm a bit late, but Nintard me if that's still possible :)
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Ooh exciting!
  • Oooooh.
    Well that makes sense now, totally thrown there.
  • It's a robust game name though.

Escape! - LCD maze game

Jon B - Amiga platformer.  Hero has blonde hair and big shades.

Nick MD - DS hospital touch 'em up

Superflyninja/Franticpea - IOS Flappy Birdalikes

g.man - really old gravity battler
  • Sorry Questor.
    It threw me even more because game art did come up on Google Image Search, just not Questor. I thought I was in another Final Fantasy 3/6 thing.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Puggsy Got stuck almost instantly on level 2. Just looked up how to do it, yeah Fuck this game, I wouldn't have worked that out in a month of Sundays. Lost Vikings I will come back to this when in the mood. Seems a decent game. Is there a way to resurrect Vikings? Seems odd that if one dies you can't finish the level but it doesnt cause a game over either. Not so keen on traipsing the same level three times over every time either.

Just how I felt. I had the MD cartridge of Puggsy and I remember getting stuck quite early on. I liked the look of it but I didn't even feel compelled to check out an faq on how to proceed. Casualty of my clearout.

I had Lost Vikings on Saturn and it seemed decent - always meant to go back to it but it was also a casualty of my clearout.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!