Retro Club - 8 & 16-bit puzzlers
  • OK lets go for Pulseman on the Megadrive. Jpn only release back in the day so few will have played. I have only emulated it and whilst it looks really nice I found it pretty impenetrable due to lack of understanding what I was doing. It gets great reviews retrospectively so I obviously missed something!
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • I've had two goes at it over the years - first time I couldn't understand the fuss and stopped after a couple of levels, second time I got to the end and enjoyed it.  It's a clever game, plenty of variety, it just takes a few levels to settle in.  Will happily play that again.
  • Think I already have that. Started it once but didn't go very far.
  • Windjammers Review:
    Incredibly simple Pong concept with amazing characterisation, fantastic graphics with an incredibly catchy soundtrack. I played the arcade version which has one set difficulty (which felt very hard) and limits each game to 30 seconds which resulted in quite a few tactical time outs. The Neogeo /psn version allows you to change these parameters to suit which I would have welcomed.

So the game plays like a Frisbee version of Pong but with souped up special moves. Two button control (throw and slide one button, toss assigned to the other) but a real nice depth to button timings which either allow you to special (two types tied to each character) throw straight back at speed, hold on to it to slow right down or apply curve. It took me about an hour to fully get to grips with the mechanics but after then I was hooked.

I did find myself continuing a lot so I reckon there is still a way for me to go (still not mastered the curve shot). I'd love to have played against a mate in 2p because this is where the game will reallt shine.

I had a scan online and noticed that there is still an active Windjammers tournament scene which is nice to see with some high level play. Appreciate that the recent PSN release may have peaked interest.

Anyhows for me it's an 8. I reckon playing with mates without the time restrictions and fixed difficulty setting would push this to a 9.
  • Just to give the people an idea of what they were missing out on:

• Watching that I can see how much Disc Jam (PS+ game from earlier this year) nicked from it. The range of moves is basically identical.

I really enjoyed Disc Jam for a while. Shame it didn't have a proper single player mode or I didn't have anyone to play local MP with. The online MP involved too much waiting around for matches.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    2 player versus - pure videogaming :)

This is what it's all about.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • JonB wrote:
    Watching that I can see how much Disc Jam (PS+ game from earlier this year) nicked from it. The range of moves is basically identical.

I really enjoyed Disc Jam for a while. Shame ithi didn't have a proper single player mode or I didn't have anyone to play local MP with. The online MP involved too much waiting around for matches.

I read an article recently that basically outlined how Disc Jam was released by a group of Windjammers fans frustrated by the lack of progress with the WJ licence and decided they would make their own tribute. Wj then got its license and they then unfortunately got released at similar times or something like that.

I'll try and dig it out.

• Played some Windjammers.

Agree with eric's review, seems like a great game and I'm sure in 2p it would be great.

Moot you should have it on your Pi, it was on mine and yours is a carbon copy of mine afaik.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Yeah it's all about the 2p, we have it on a cabinet in the office and ran a little tourney a few years back to much success.
  • I'm about half way through Thunder Force III btw.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Played some Windjammers. Agree with eric's review, seems like a great game and I'm sure in 2p it would be great. Moot you should have it on your Pi, it was on mine and yours is a carbon copy of mine afaik.

In the arcade bit?  Only got one Neo Geo game on there.
  • Yeah, all Neo-Geo games are in the arcade section.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Thunder Force III (MD)

This is one that always seemed to garner a lot of respect back in the day as one of the champions of the genre and a bit of showcase for the Mega Drive.

After playing I can see why, there's visual effects aplenty with everything moving at a smooth and blistering pace. There's no trace of slowdown which plagued the top NES shooters that came before this, and even a lot of SNES ones after, including the inferior port.

The gameplay itself is solid, although I did find the difficulty a bit sporadic in places. I somehow managed to get through Stage 5 Ellis without dying once for example despite using several continues on the previous stage, I also managed to beat the last boss on my first go.

It also becomes very easy once you have the extra guns with the Homing Spheres weapon. I guess this could be said for most shooters as the trick then becomes trying to keep hold of your power, but you seem especially overpowered in this one.

Overall its a good game although not my favourite in the genre by any means. Worth checking out for MD and shoot 'em up enthusiasts alike though.

4/5
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Might be the wrong place to ask, but anyone know how feasible model 3 emulation is these Dayton... I mean, days?
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Might be the wrong place to ask, but anyone know how feasible model 3 emulation is these Dayton... I mean, days?

Model 2 as well:

• Sega AC titles are pretty notorious in rhythm game circles for being nigh on impossible to crack, never have any HDD data of any modern Sega AC games, which is a shame.

Konami on the other hand use ancient windows based hardware that you can put together a cheap as fuck bemanipc for dirt cheap. I think they were on XP until fairly recently.

Don't think this relates to emu ofc but I typed it out anyway.
  • Model 1, 2 and 3 were all noticeable jumps in tech, I remember gawking at plenty of games running on each board.
  • Two levels done on Pulseman, it's well worthy of its status as a late-in-the-day gem.  Bright chunky visuals and loads of nifty effects; in a non-blind non-taste test I wouldn't place it as a Megadrive game.  In fact, if had had a rudimentary polygon-based bonus stage and just a couple of extra bells and whistles it's the sort of thing retrospectives might describe as 'an example of the extra hardware being put to good use' (in my imaginary retrospective it's a 32X game, see).   Even the way one of the stages in level 2 has a background that wraps around action to give the impression of a dome is impressive.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Have a look at this for an auction near me in a week or so......

sit down Star Wars, Battlezone, Outrun. There's a Vectrex and some retro handhelds going too. 

Auction includes film props , fancy cars - all sorts of stuff. Wonder who owned all this shit?

https://www.wilsonsauctions.com/auctions/government-auctions/AuctionEvent?saleCode=173580&location=Belfast&lotPageNo=10
  • I'd kill for that Willy Wonka statue.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I'd kill for that Willy Wonka statue.

Given an earlier comment about where the goods came from, it's quite possible someone already has
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • My PSP has deleted my Pulseman save.  Sad trombone.  Will play stage 3 (it gives you a three stage option from the start) then watch a runthrough on Youtube but I was just about far enough in to not fancy starting again, good as it is.
  • I played briefly. I quite like it.

I'm not finding so much time for this now and using the old laptop to run stuff is starting to grate.
  • Played level three this morning, it's a very good game.  I've played through it before, so I'm confident with awarding it a strong 90%.  It's not quite Rocket Knight Adventures, but it's bobbing around the lower end of 'one of the best 16-bit games of its type', and it's probably near the top of the list of prettiest/most impressive MD games.     

Nick, you're up.
  • Will get on it this arvo lads, sorry for my lack of presence lately.
  • No probs. Also, if anyone looks in here occasionally without the time or means to take part, feel free to chuck a suggestion in anyway and I'll put it on the list.
  • Sorry guys, I've been shite at this recently - if someone wants to take my place go ahead, I've had a think and can't come up with a decent retro revisit just yet. I will, just can't find the time atm.
  • No probs mate, let me know when you want the reins.

Someone shout something out, if not I'll set one tomorrow morning.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!