General VR and AR chinwag
  • They should announe a game called Half Life Threes, a Half Live themed version of Threes to annoy the world but Yoss doubly so.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Better than the current Half Life freeze.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Shame Yoss is not a headset fan ATM. There's rumour of a Halo Reach mod for PCVR which would melt his mind, mind.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Yo I'm with a mate's steamvr / index - what should I play?? So far, superhot (noticeably more fun than non vr), light saber thing (no darth though) and some other "shoot the bad guy on rails" thing. But I want moaaar...

The Lab. Gives a good overview. Then Elite Dangerous.

Did a couple of lab things, the shooter where you hold the spaceship was neat, catapult thing a smidge boring after two mins, but all very impressive with top end kit
  • "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Yo I'm with a mate's steamvr / index - what should I play?? So far, superhot (noticeably more fun than non vr), light saber thing (no darth though) and some other "shoot the bad guy on rails" thing. But I want moaaar...
    The Lab. Gives a good overview. Then Elite Dangerous.
    Did a couple of lab things, the shooter where you hold the spaceship was neat, catapult thing a smidge boring after two mins, but all very impressive with top end kit

Did you get to play Elite Dangerous or any sim stuff?
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • I'm going to have to start a thread.
  • There was some cool VR and AR stuff being talked about at the Unreal thing I was at last week (write up to come I promise).

I missed out on having a go on Hololens which was a shame but sessions were 10 minutes each and the queue was never less than 6 people deep, normally much more. That involved guiding through the Apollo 11 mission.

Loads of architecture stuff being shown with VR. Getting clients to sit where their actual desk would be in new office buildings, then feedback on how that works for their work. That kind of thing is invaluable in that sector, visuals sell a dream sure but they can't compare to actual interaction.
    They were also using it to better show construction techniques and operations to people onsite.

One of the coolest things shown was a collab between Ford, Universal and Holoride the studio doing the keynote.
    The project involved creating a VR experience for Universal Studios California. The park guest is fitted with a VR headset and controller then put in the backseat of a Ford SUV. They are then driven a set route on public highways around the park.
    The route is pre mapped and planned as a track with a story and enemies to shoot. Key places on the route result in gameplay set pieces, things like traffic lights and the park entrance relay to events in game.

The VR headsets are hooked up to the telemetry data from the car and GPS with the game playing out in an elastic fashion between the set pieces to allow for changes in traffic.

The result is going for a short drive becomes an interactive VR game with one to one feedback by being in an actual car that tracks along with the game, engaging the player more and avoiding motion sickness.

Their plan is to extend it out to be an option in Ford cars by 2021 for back seats and then eventually, if legally possible, all seats in self drive cars.

• Some of our guys tried it and were reasonably impressed, but it's fairly empty as a game experience due to the need for "elastic" i.e. dynamic content, the flying things just keep coming and there's no interaction beyond shooting them. Also was being demoed in a car park, not roads, but IIRC the CES launch in Vegas demoed on normal roads. Weird that it's a Ford thing now, as was started by Audi staff.
  • Valve Index sold out for Chrimbo it seems.
  • Boneworks.is legit.
  • What a different VR game this is. There's no clipping through anything and you have a full VR body. The way it conveys weight is great and solidity is great. Your brain just plays along until it all clicks.

For example, if you pick up a sledgehammer with one hand its really unweildy but if you use two hands it's easier to control, and it's easier the further apart you hands are on the shaft. It's almost like if you act like you're miming doing something it's easier, so your brain plays along with it and everything feels much more immersive.

Because nothing clips through anything there's a slight distance buffer that gives you time to react, like screen shake but more subtle. Maybe it's just your brain that wobbles but bumping into stuff feels sort of realistic. It's all very physically satisfying. Because there's no clipping, when you hit a wall with an axe or something your hands automatically stop, or it certainly feels like they are. It's hard to describe but the sensation of hitting a solid wall is really cleverly done. It certainly feels more advanced than any other VR have I've played. It's a hell of a sandbox. Killing the humanoid things is alarmingly satisfying.
  • Oops, it's nearly four in the morning. That game is way to immersive. I wouldn't even call it a game exactly. It's like winning a ticket to a very demented Willy Wonka factory and it really feels like a real world. Graphically, it's got some lovely touches and it's gone out of its way to avoid things like glare and good rays. What a place.

Edit: People are reporting queasy issues, even seasoned VR nuts. Could be a frame rate thing and I was fine @120Hz.
  • Gary's mod is good in vr. A perfect fit, really. Also you can play Half Life 2 in VR and it's actually great. Better than most VR specific titles imo.

https://youtu.be/WEd1TaGd-xA
  • Can we now play half life 2 and garrys mod in VR?
    last time I checked (dk2 days I admit) it didn't work for me.
    You rang.....
  • Lurch666 wrote:
    Can we now play half life 2 and garrys mod in VR? last time I checked (dk2 days I admit) it didn't work for me.

Yes.
  • Just get the theatre option with half life 2 on steam.
    Google didn't reveal much as most of the info is outdated.
    EDIT:Ah garrys mod.
    Found the video you posted earlier but I hate getting info from videos so passed on it but it seems to be the only info out there.
    Looks like I'm going to have to sit and watch it.
    You rang.....
  • Don't forget to SS the fuck out of it in SteamVR settings. Also, the pistolVR thing is near enough essential imo.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Eating, sleeping, even showering, Jak Wilmot spent 168 hours wearing a VR headset for research. His findings are
    Spoiler:

• How the fuck do you shower in one?
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    3cyVfDG.jpg
  • My face is a sweaty mess after one session. That must have been horrendous.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    He didn't mention masturbation.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Jobby knife with that on is high-risk
  • One of our latest installs:

• I think I'd struggle to find the space for it tbh.
    Come with g if you want to live...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!