General VR and AR chinwag
  • Anything with a cockpit would work, I reckon. Tie fighter vs would be something special.
  • I watched a demo video of this on YouTube the other day, the devs talked about releasing it on PS and Xbox so I'm quite hopeful. I would love to use this playing Forza 5.
  • Anything with a cockpit would work, I reckon. Tie fighter vs would be something special.

Cockpit / car seat / anything essentially where the character you're playing as sits still. 

I don't think the omni treadmill thing will catch on, but the Rift will be flippin' awesome with a lot of games.
  • My mate's turned up today. Can't wait to try it out next week.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    a friend brought one to a party last night and I had a quick go in a small demo area of a house walled off in the middle of the countryside... it was an impressive experience and I didn't feel sick despite being a little drunk and the controls being overly sensitive, but then again I didn't use it for long at all. the apparent resolution is very low at the moment which is the main issue.
  • Going round to my mate's to spend some time with this today. He said everyone that's tried it so far (about 5 people) have pretty quickly felt motion sickness so hopefully I'll hold on to my breakfast.

Annoyingly he can't get Half Life 2 to work and that was the thing I was most looking forward to experiencing.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    My colleague's got his too... Just need him to let me borrow it. He did get HL2 working though - do you know why your mate didn't?
  • Seems to be because he's a dirty piratical shit. He's never been a PC gamer in his life. On a whim he bought a PC and a Rift due to his lack of enthusiasm for the next-gen. I warned him that PC gaming isn't quite as simple as console gaming and that he'll probably end up scratching his head when things don't work from time to time. He laughed in the face of this. 

Then his PC turned up and he had to send it back cause he couldn't get it to work.

So he finally gets up and running and then sets out torrenting every game under the sun. Some would work some wouldn't. He finally downloads Steam and claims that Steam proceeded to bork all his pirated games, corrupting save files etc... he was livid. I had a quiet lol at his expense. 

So eventually he got rid of Steam and committed to a life of piracy. So his Half Life 2 is a dodgy copy so I'm guessing that might be why he can't get it working. He mentioned that he couldn't get other Source games to work such as L4D so I'm guessing that's the reason.
  • So I played around with this for quite a few hours today. It's really pretty impressive but damn the resolution is low. The first thing you think is, man this will be awesome with a high-res screen.

But it certainly works. Played through a whole heap of tech demos, lots of which were basically, you're on an island and you walk about and that's it. As they were all made on Unity they quickly felt very samey. The 3D effect would differ quite dramatically in quality too. But the most impressive ones are really fucking cool. I didn't feel sick at all but did get a few lurches of disorientation from time to time.

Oddly, one of the most convincing apps was a cinema one. You're sitting there in a virtual cinema and you can put any movie file on to the virtual cinema screen. Apart from the low res the effect was incredibly real. The only "proper" game he had running with it was a flight sim called War Thunder and it was pretty awesome flying around in a bi-plane looking over your shoulder etc. 

As mentioned previously, gutting he can't get Half Life 2 running on it. I think that would be really amazing.

So like most people have said, it's absolutely brilliant but most definitely needs the higher res screen. And most of the software feels very basic at the moment too and the implementation into existing games is far from perfect. By the time the consumer version hits I'm sure there'll be a ton of cool stuff to play with it and hopefully proper implementation for loads of existing titles.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    ... and hopefully higher res screens... I think the 1080 version went down well at E3.

(I've still not had a go on one :-()
  • This looks like it'd be great fun to make stuff for. Very tempted to get one when the res is sorted
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Forza (or GT etc) with this, using the in car view, and a wheel would excellent imo.
  • It's got me thinking yet again of an Interphase remake
  • I actually thought about this for 10 seconds and realised that if you guys like the idea of this being used in in-car views etc, it opens up the possibilities of in-game interfaces and information display absolutely massively

I reckon i'll have the money for a rift hd by xmas (turtle had me thinking of this idea in an email), so that gives me 6 or 7 months to conceive and design the most badass reimagining of Interphase imaginable
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Hang on a friging minute. In car/cockpit combined with kinetic. Could be incredible. Changing gear, or flicking the switch to lower the landing gear? I like the sound of that.
  • For some reason I thought this was a game and never game it a look.

Found out what is is now.

Fuck yeah!!!!
  • I'd have thought it's best for something where you're supposed to be sitting, not walking around, but not necessarily looking at a fixed point, as that'd be pointless. So maybe a playing computer games simulator, and occasionally you look over at - could be anything, a cat?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Pinball machine?
  • I'm sure it's quite cool but any device you have to strap to your head in order to function is doomed to fail. People just will not go for it and it's just not practical. This will go down in history as another quirky accessory and Edge magazine will again wince at their front page coverage in a few years...
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    If you're anywhere near hovering around 40, this type of thing is what you dreamed of having as a gamer kid. If it manages to be technically acceptable it will sell in droves to a certain market.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I'd buy one if they turn out to be any good. I remember playing Comanche (helicopter sim) on the PC when I was about 10 thinking that a proper VR headset would make it 10 times better.
  • The Oculus helicopter game I played was pretty awesome. It was also however the most puke inducing (not for me but for pretty much everyone else who tried it).
  • I'm sure it's quite cool but any device you have to strap to your head in order to function is doomed to fail. People just will not go for it and it's just not practical. This will go down in history as another quirky accessory and Edge magazine will again wince at their front page coverage in a few years...

Actually, I think you will wince at this post in a few years. I can really see this going mainstream in a few versions time. Maybe even combining with google glass.
  • I'll put money on it flopping on commercial release. It'll be a niche product and that's it. The very name is alienating enough...

Bollocks. I remember when people were a bit coy about mobile phones. And gaming has certainly taken off hasn't it? And now all the kids are staring at laptops on Facebook, even when their pals live next door. It's the future.
  • I remember when computers were niche. Trufax.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    It's a solution looking for a problem. Over hyped and under supported. Much like the other type of 3D.

I wouldn't go as far as to predict its chances of success beyond a small niche in its current configuration, but the signs aren't good.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!