Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    voices wrote:
    So... I've managed to spin a need for a full racing set up (sans the drivers seat) on the premise that it's going to teach my girlfriend to drive (hahahahah). Aside from the usual racing stuff, is there anything anyone could recommend that would help with this? I was thinking euro truck simulator, but is there anything which would better replicate the experience of driving around in the UK without smashing into people? Otherwise there's going to be a little Chinese girl in a car who's only experience behind a wheel is 20 hours of dirt rally vr.

Spintires: Mudrunner might be useful depending on how well maintained the roads are in your locality.
  • It's more about getting her used to the clutch and stuff like that. She'll definitely have to have lessons - this would be supplemental, and get her used to how things control. 

Euro truck simulator with the car mod looks like a good start. I think she aspires to driving a full artic too (I presume, I mean, who doesn't), so that's something we can both work towards.
  • voices wrote:
    So... I've managed to spin a need for a full racing set up (sans the drivers seat) on the premise that it's going to teach my girlfriend to drive (hahahahah). Aside from the usual racing stuff, is there anything anyone could recommend that would help with this? I was thinking euro truck simulator, but is there anything which would better replicate the experience of driving around in the UK without smashing into people? Otherwise there's going to be a little Chinese girl in a car who's only experience behind a wheel is 20 hours of dirt rally vr.
    Wot!?? After you spend like, £800? She'd probably get more comfortable with the roads given 4 £40 lessons, and a good instructor... Very interesting idea though...

Wheel + pedals + gear stick came to around £200 thanks to Black Friday deals on the G29. It might be another £100 for the stand, but I want to check we need that first. I don't plan on getting a racing chair as I don't really have anywhere to stow it.

I see this as cheaper than the £1,000 car I'd have to buy her to get some practice in (learners aren't covered under my company car policy), plus petrol. Plus I worry she'll drive into someones house.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    voices wrote:
    Wheel + pedals + gear stick came to around £200 thanks to Black Friday deals on the G29. It might be another £100 for the stand, but I want to check we need that first. I don't plan on getting a racing chair as I don't really have anywhere to stow it. I see this as cheaper than the £1,000 car I'd have to buy her to get some practice in (learners aren't covered under my company car policy), plus petrol. Plus I worry she'll drive into someones house.

That's likely exactly what she'll learn at FNF
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Is the new PSVR out?

Is it better than the old PSVR?

Is there anything worthwhile out on PSVR?
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    no
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    And maybe
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • That's damn funny.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Talos Principle VR is great, well worth a play, if not for the puzzles then for the gorgeous setting.
  • Ultrawings is on Steam sale. Only played a few training missions but the sense of flying is great.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/639130/Ultrawings/

And it uses the Vive controller as an upright joystick so no faffing with HOTAS setups.
  • Goddamit I wish Nintendo would pay up and get into VR. Ultrawings is so nearly Pilotwings yet a million miles out.

Still, it's good to see this kind of thing coming through. It may ultimately lack ideas later on but the sense of flight is still the best I've ever felt. Cartoon or no, deliberately crashing into the sea is seriously scary.
  • I bought it yesterday, hopefully get a chance to play next week.

SG, fancy some multiplayer soon, and anybody else? I'd like to try one of the rec room quests but I'm up for anything if a few can get on.
  • Yes I do. The last time was great. I'll keep you posted.

Crashing into the sea in Ultrawings is pretty much how I imagined being in an actual plane crash would be like btw. It's very good, if only it had a hang glider. Also Ironwolf has a torpedo room now.
  • Been waiting a while for ultrawings and read and watched a few good vids on it.
    Too skint at the moment and its £18 on psn but i WILL get this soon as i can.
  • One of the many things I like about VR is escapism, and Ultrawings is certainly that. It's like being on holiday and it's always sunny. I just wish they'd have expanded on it a bit more. A jet pack would have been ace.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    I picked up Ultrawings when it launched way back when and was fawning over it instantly. It's a lovely little thing but was quite buggy at the start. 

It still holds up and some of the later stuff like the rocket glider and stunt plane are a great upgrade from the initial microlight. It still gets updates all the time on the Oculus store so I presume they're still balancing out some of the challenges and fixing bits and bobs. 
    I think I got a 40odd% completion save still on the final island where the challenges got pretty tight. 

I stopped too much really pushing forward there but I still go back and pop in now and again just to have a play and swoosh about a bit.

The static nature of it and flightstick/wand control should also translate well to the one camera PSVR setup. Lovely stuff.
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • It's easy to overlook how immersive having a flightstick is. It's good enough on a monitor but having a hotas setup in vr is amazing. The simple solution Ultrawings uses is just great and the haptics help it enormously.
  • Also for Vive owners, put the vibe controller in a comfortable position and use the grip buttons to recentre and map that position onto the flightstick in the game. You might need to lean forward or backward to get it just so and then recentre.
  • Goddammit, now I want VTOL VR. This flight sim built for VR controllers thing is amaze.

https://www.roadtovr.com/vtol-vr-hands-on-developer-interview-paolo-encarnacion/

Edited - put wrong link in.
  • I know VR isn't mainstream but it does feel like the early days of gaming, when it was new and exciting.

I really enjoy early access for VR. VTOL is made by one guy who made a name for himself doing Kerbal Space mods. It's nice to be able to feel the talent of one individual all over a game, like back in the day. It gives games character.

Another vid of VTOL:

https://youtu.be/_EWbWSscVV4

• Vive 1.5? If it's better lenses and resolution I'm in.

https://youtu.be/ytgbpzWS2xA
  • Those first 2 vids are terrible for multiple reasons sg, annoying guy talking, 5 ads in about a 15 min vid, and no real talk or explanations or anything.
    Last one is a bit better.

Sorry but it really annoys me that stuff.
  • Heh. I quite like the annoying guy because he made me buy Ironwolf VR so I'll forgive him.

Have you tried Ultrawings yet Tom? This Vive resolution business is quite expensive exciting, no?
  • Crikey, it's been nearly two years since the Vive was released. It's built like a brick shithouse that thing. Nearly two years of my drunken antics is good going for a device.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!