Your favourite guns!
‹ Previous12
  • Disclaimer, I'm trying to work out what games/films have awesome gun sounds in to use as reference at work.  And thought some folks here might have an opinion on that.

I'll kick things off with a video comparing BF to COD, although it's slightly unfair as the BF capture is so much louder, you will have to keep adjusting the volume so the COD stuff is as loud....

And another one where the volume is much more consistent -

So yes, I really like the gun sounds in BF, not just that they each have their own character where many of the COD sounds are quite similar, but also the way they excite the environment i.e. the guns sound natural in a town courtyard, on a street or in a house.
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • Not to say the discussion has to be about REAL GUNZ, if you like crazy crazy guns like the spartan laser or BFG then fine, just share your thoughts about that :)
  • Heat has the best gun sounds imo.
  • could swear i did a daily question on this.

Fav gun? RCP-90. Or the H3 BR, or... the crossbow in Timesplitters 2
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Heat the film? Yes! I love the gunplay in that.  Considering it is now 17 years old the guns still sound great, and in terms of that balance of realism vs fatness they are still a benchmark.

@MK is that the RCP90 from Goldeneye or am I getting confused?
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    It's a toughie. But the first weapon to always pop in my head is the land shark gun from Armed and Dangerous.

• Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    If we're talking realistic firearms, had some ex-army man say that the recent Medal of Honour recreated the most realistic firearm sound effects according to him.
  • I remember GoldenEye having a decent arsenal.

Perfect Dark too, while we're in that frame of mind. A bit more fantastic, obviously.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    syndicate shotgun! 
    thread over.
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • Sorry yeah Heat the film. That whole gun fight is awesome.
  • M41A Pulse Rifle, when you absolutely, positively got to kill every xenomorph in the room, accept no substitutes.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    I think the Aliens smartgun deserves a shout too. 

"Let's rock!"
    XBL, iOS, Steam: metagonzo
  • When you first get the wrist gun thing in Ass Creed 2. Thats pretty cool, massive risk to reward ratio when using it and one hell of an awesome bang.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Cerebral Bore, Turok 2.
    Get schwifty.
  • Unreal Tournament had an excellent selection of guns n the first two installments which I don't feel get nearly enough love. By the time the third came out, I'd utterly lost my interest in FPS, so can't really comment on that or later ones.
  • Least Favourite: Half life's guns have always annoyed me; sound weak and too spitty and spraytastic.
    Favourite: Probably counter strike - haven't played for ages but IIRC sound was beefier, always liked the handling (first shot from settled aim was accurate, recoil/spray always seemed balanced).

Seem to remember the Trent Reznor sounds for Doom 3 were amazing - can't remember if this included the gun SFX, presume it did.
  • I'm a sucker for shotgun sounds..all the Resi ones, and more recently the one in Vanquish was amazing.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    It's a toughie. But the first weapon to always pop in my head is the land shark gun from Armed and Dangerous.
    Raiziel wrote:
    Cerebral Bore, Turok 2.

Two of my favourite fantasy guns there. I'm also a sucker for Halo's needler, watching the pink darts of death chase down and impale an enemy then blow them across the room never gets old.

For more realistic guns I like the stupidly high rate of fire and chattering/tearing sound of Far Cry 2's Mac 10. Also the same games AS50 sniper rifle. Earth shaking recoil and a thunder clap accompany every shot. Wonderful.

For films, District 9's alien weaponry looks great and has some nice effects, I'll never forget that lovely squelchy sound an exploding person makes. The 20mm sniper rifle used to take down the prawn mech at the end of the film is just plain awesome and I want one.
  • tumblr_ky61tuo4Ji1qa2hay.jpg

Bunch of slack-jawed faggots around here.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Pretty much anything in Borderlands once you reach a high level. I absolutely adored my AR with 4x fire damage, high accuracy and incredible fire rate. But, as we will all agree, the SMGs were the shit, with their mental bullet patterns, speed of light fire rate and beautiful spread.

BORDERLANDS YEAH
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Turok 2 had a decent spread.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Viper 5 from S.T.A.L.K.E.R.  Killed me a lot of bandits with that one.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Liveinadive is pissing it so far.

My fav real life gun is the Desert Eagle. Scary recoil.

In a game, any shotty really. Doom had a good one and Red Dead Redemption had a top sawn off.
  • Bollockoff that shark gun is amazing, I hadn't seen that before!  Awesome that they got that past a publisher!

Loads of good shouts in this thread, thinking about movie stuff I love Indiana Jones' revolver, it's just huge.  The heros in films are often given better sounding guns than everyone else and Indiana Jones is really obvious, also Hanks' gun in Saving Private Ryan is much more kick ass than everyone else's.

i've not shot a Desert Eagle in real life, but have shot a bunch of modern and antique rifles, shotguns and pistols.  My favourites are the old black powder guns, much less refined and more raw and brutal than the modern stuff, much more fun.  Although I did attempt to shoot a 4-bore 'elephant' gun once, that didn't go well for my shoulder...

Check out http://designingsound.org/2010/04/chuck-russom-special-gun-sound-design/
  • 4 bore

Was much the same for me, had no problem with the normal shotties but yea, the 4 bore was different!
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    The Resident Evil 4 'TMP'.

PUT THAT SHIT IN THE AIR, MOFO.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I dunno about sounds, but favourite videogame guns have to include:

Railgun from Quake III Arena. I've never used another gun which makes you feel like as much of a badass when you're doing well as this one.

Pistol from Halo: CE. Stupidly overpowered but wiping out waves of Grunts and Jackals with this thing is just about the most fun I've had in an FPS.

The Settler Pistol from Rage. Especially when loaded with Fat Mamas. The very definition of 'hand-cannon'.

As you can probably tell, my favourite guns tend to be massively overpowered, single-shot type deals which force you to conserve ammo, time your shots well and be careful about reloading, but which turn your entire enemy into a weak spot that can be hit for massive damage.
  • A couple of faves from back in the day:

The blaster launcher from UFO: Enemy Unknown - A weapon which fired a projectile that followed a set of points you placed on the map. It also generated an explosion so massive it would almost certainly destroy anything of value within whatever you pointed it. Perfect for when you had to investigate a crashed UFO or alien base but couldn't be arsed to send in the troops properly.

The .223 Pistol from Fallout 1, 2 and later New Vegas - A rifle cut down and modified into the form factor of a pistol. Made a satisfying mess of your enemies in the early games if you managed to score a critical hit for the killing shot.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    For Roujin, in case you missed it, a thread you may be interested in.
‹ Previous12

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!