Insurance for Electronics
  • I have some. It's new for old, apparently, and has a small excess. So when the iMac fell off its desk and subsequently refused to boot, I didn't worry too much. After all, I pay a specific extra premium for this listed computer with its defined value, so it shouldn't be too problematic to get a claim started. 

And it wasn't. But, despite paying for a "new for old" policy, they want to have it inspected to check it's not repairable. I suspect the HDD's dead so there's a slim chance it might be repairable. I asked if the fact it wasn't a user-replaceable part made a difference, and they just told me to "take it to someone to get it inspected" and forward on what they said. I asked who it had to be, and they said "anyone" would do. 

So, where do I stand morally here? Do I take it to Apple, pay for an expensive inspection, and then ream myself by getting a cheap repair job done? Or, considering I've spent £X per month for 4 years on the insurance, do I just get the dodgiest computer shop in town/my mate to write something saying it's not economically repairable, and get a new one?
  • Edit to add; they've said if it can't be economically repaired, they'll exercise the new for old bit of the policy and pay for whatever the inspector recommends is the current equivalent. This would obviously be nice.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It is, as you have said yourself. A moral decision. It depends whether you feel you put x into insurance because you wish to protect your possessions, or if you put x into your insurance with the idea that you feel entitled to get some of that back when claiming.

To be honest, you've covered all the options, and it's ultimately up to you.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Get a new one. There will come a time when something happens that you thought was covered by insurance, only to find out that there's a loop hole and you'll have to stump up any fees. 

Also, what does the 4 years worth of monthly payments add up to? Does it cover the cost of a new one?
  • Maybe its worth finding out howmuch apple would charge for the repair? Might cost more than the item cost when you consider shipping/diagnosis/labour and parts.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    A moral decision with an insurance company? I don't fucking think so.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    As any insurance company will use the exact conditions of the policy to avoid giving you money if possible, then it seems reasonable that you do the same and do exactly as they say, go to any shop and get your new machine.
  • You already know what I'm going to advise
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    How the hell do you knock an iMac off a desk?
  • Sexy time.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Think Elm needs to take a step back and think about the extent of his Apple love.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    mk64 wrote:
    You already know what I'm going to advise
    He's already married.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Elmlea wrote:
    ...they said "anyone" would do.
    Ask me.

Or, if it's got to be somebody in the States, ask Nim.  If it's got to be an adult in the States, ask Nic.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Bwahaha. "is daddy's Mac broken?"

*pours apple juice on keyboard*
  • Maybe its worth finding out howmuch apple would charge for the repair? Might cost more than the item cost when you consider shipping/diagnosis/labour and parts.

Apple want about 50% of the cost of a new one just to assess and change out the HDD. If the motherboard's dead as well it'll outstrip the base cost of a new one. 

First Apple reseller I rang said that as the HDD and motherboard aren't "user repairable" parts they'd just recommend a new one. I think if I point out said new one would come from them, they'd probably put that in writing. We'll see!

Also, Adkm, they did indeed just say "get it inspected." Not by Apple, not by a computer shop, just by "someone." Maybe I should get my mate with a computer science degree to switch it on, say "no, it's broken," and send them that....?
  • I've taken two machines to the Apple Store for repairs and both times they assessed how much it'd be before getting my go-ahead, no commitment.
  • Also, one of those was for an insurance claim.
  • I took it to a local non-Apple but Apple-certified repairer, as it was just 5 mins round the corner. 

It's borked. They couldn't get it to boot, but were surprised that half the time it'd randomly fail to even get to the restore/safe mode screen, it'd just switch off. They tried booting from an external HDD, and had no luck there, until it randomly did once. Disk utility said the main HD was unrepairable, but they weren't happy with a straight HD swap as it wasn't reliably starting. 

Then it started failing to boot from the external again, and only making it to the restore screen once every 4-5 attempts. They took it apart a little, and have diagnosed an HD failure in concert with either a SATA failure or a motherboard failure/problem, and recommended I get it replaced. Hurrah!

It was a 2008 20" Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz with 4Gb RAM and a 320Gb HD. After some handwringing about what to recommend as a replacement, they decided that as that was the smallest screen with one up from base model on processor, RAM and HD space, they've emailed my inured a recommending they give me the same point in the current range, which will conveniently cost about what I originally paid for this iMac. 

So, wait and see. They've recommended a 21.5" 2.7GHz i5 with 8Gb RAM and a 2TB HD, so I can't wait to see what hoops the insurance company make me jump through to actually get some sort of replacement....!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!