Fucking routers and modems
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Splicing fibre and connecting it to co-axial isn't something I would think was being done for domestic properties - would be a hell of a lot of work. It also requires conversion from light to electrical pulse which requires gadgetry and power.

Power can run up the centre of fibre cables so that would provide that - but as far as I know that is only when you have long runs that require boosting such as undersea fibre runs.

Incidentally, the first attempt at fibre cabling under the sea failed because the powered core pulses attracted sharks that chomped on the cables. Shielding sorted that out.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I only remember it because there was a firm doing fibre to door in Bournemouth about ten or so years ago. And yeah they were sticking a box around the size of a phone book on the outside of the house to house the conversion stuff. I wondered about the electricity supply as it gives a location at each telegraph pole to house the electronics rather than each house, which might explain the wording of fibre to curb rather than fibre to door. I recall the difference between us and UK infrastructure as it was a reason by ethernet over power couldn't work in the uk, though it does work within an individual home, hence the powerline products. Interesting about the shark thing though "Stop playing CoD and come for a swim, sneaky buggers aren't they?"
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Fibre to 5G antenna is the current desired outcome. Then you won't need anything physical coming into your house. Won't need a router either - just 5G devices.

That will take a while to roll out though.

Isn't 5g faster than any fiber? So it would be artificially constrained in that configuration?
  • I'll try and find an article on the ways the tories fucked the NBN, but fttc is one of the short cuts they used. Yes, they literally did works out the front of the whole street, so I presume there's whatever is required under a manhole at the front of every house.

I believe they just use the old copper cable to the house. 

Because cost cutting. Because what you want to do with a piece of national infrastructure, is come in over budget, behind schedule and providing a service that is already outdated.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • 5G isn’t some sort of mesh network that’s 100% wireless, it’s high speed underground fibre around the country with loads of tiny Wi-Fi connection points.

The fibre will never need to reach your house again. You just need to make sure there are enough Wi-Fi transmitters near your house.
  • Facewon wrote:
    I'll try and find an article on the ways the tories fucked the NBN, but fttc is one of the short cuts they used. Yes, they literally did works out the front of the whole street, so I presume there's whatever is required under a manhole at the front of every house. I believe they just use the old copper cable to the house.  Because cost cutting. Because what you want to do with a piece of national infrastructure, is come in over budget, behind schedule and providing a service that is already outdated.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-06-23/telstras-copper-network-in-a-state-of-disrepair-say-unions/4774342

https://www.abc.net.au/technology/articles/2012/11/23/3639761.htm < Nick Ross article, may have lost his job because he did journalism

https://www.abc.net.au/technology/articles/2012/11/27/3642266.htm

https://www.abc.net.au/technology/articles/2013/09/19/3851924.htm

In some states the fibre connects to this shit
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Thank you.
  • So I'm online with the nighthawk. Same download speed as cable on nbn, about 95. 35 up is a bonus.

Range of the nighthawk is nuts. Covers whole house and on to street.

Lots of cool settings and ability to prioritise devices and gaming and such. Cool.

Took 2 phone calls and iinet talked me through. Less than 90 minutes total on phone.

Compared to 6-8 weeks and dozens of calls and hours on phone and actual days off work to argue with Telstra. Lol.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Fibre to 5G antenna is the current desired outcome. Then you won't need anything physical coming into your house. Won't need a router either - just 5G devices. That will take a while to roll out though.
    Isn't 5g faster than any fiber? So it would be artificially constrained in that configuration?

5g needs fibre running to every antenna. It also doesn't have the range that 4g does - it needs more antenna.

I am not sure of the physics involved re theroetical of wired v wireless but for now fibre is number 1.  Fibre is light and it can involve multiple spectra / wavelengths down one strand.  Heard last week the top end 10cm cable can have up to 7000 fibres running down it.
  • Who has a gaming router btw? I have more options suddenly, I can prioritise devices and there's some other settings too.

Who's had a play around?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I've got a netgear modem and a Linksys router. I've had a bit of a play, prioritising some stuff, but I've not touched it in a while (the laptops been on the blink and the desktop isn't in a convenient place to plug in, and I think you need a hard wire connection to do the advanced stuff).
  • Interesting. I seemed to have access to a lot of options even on wireless.

Will be interesting to test later. Keen to know if better upload and set up speeds up destiny 2 loading.

Total anecdata: was streaming some nba last night, and it defaulted to a higher res than I usually go. Was stuttering every so often with buffers.

Adjusted the settings that let you allocate bandwidth/resources. Had my phone and laptop connected, allocation defaults to 50/50. Adjusted to 70/30 laptop and it seemed better.

More testing required.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    gaming router? That smacks of con-talk.

Once traffic is out there is no QoS so prioritising traffic in the house would hardly make a difference - at least that's what I reckon....

Makes a difference does it? I suppose it depends on what else is being used - but it all goes down the same pipe once it's outside...
  • I'm sure some of the bells and whistles stuff is a bit fluffy, but as per previous links a lot of the gaming routers seem to be legit as far as raw wifi range and strength. This nighthawk is certainly winning on that front. No need for powerline adaptors to cover the house now, for instance.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    A good beefy signal around the house is worth forking out for alright.
  • ffs, bumping because I can't work out how to sort out double NAT issues with both xbox and Plex. Because network language is the land of a bazillion shit acronyms and shit interfaces.
  • Ayyyy. There’s a setting the Xbox menus for switching double NAT on or off.

I have no idea whether that info is useful for you, but it’s a thing I remember.

https://support.xbox.com/en-GB/help/hardware-network/connect-network/double-nat-detected

https://www.technewstoday.com/double-nat-detected/
  • So I have a Nokia beacon 2 which I got from my ISP. It connects me to interwebs.

I have an Eero mesh system which boosts stuff around the house. 

It appears one of these things may or may not be a "gateway", or may or may not need to be in bridge mode. I tried putting the beacon in bridge mode, and that just zaps internet. had to factory reset.

I now have both the Nokia and Eero with phone apps which are better than old interfaces through browsers, but wtf do I do now. Every single generic article always skips over a step, or there's a step that's different because of x y or z.

I fucking hate modems and routers and network shit.
  • I’d hazard a guess you’re right - that both your Nokia and Eero ‘base’ station are functioning as routers, and you therefore are doubling up network address translations.

For Eero to work, I believe that it needs to be the main router. Which means your Nokia needs to be reduced to a mere modem and simply bridge the WAN (Internet) connection to your Eero base station.

That connection will need to be wired, otherwise as soon as you put the Nokia in bridge, you’ll lose its WiFi and therefore won’t be able to connect. What I’d do:

1. Connect with a laptop and Ethernet directly to the Nokia box in router mode
    2. Put the Nokia into bridge mode, check this has worked using the connected laptop (prob no internet at this stage)
    3. Turn off the Eero base station, then Connect (wired) and to the nokia and turn on
    4. If Eero is good and plug and play it should just work: receive connection from Nokia and start routing it via WiFi to devices
    5. If Eero a bit shit may need resetting and setting up via the app again but either way at this stage you should have connection via Eero only

If that doesn’t work, put the Nokia back into router mode and call someone sorry
  • there's not a button on the xbox. It's clearly something you have to do on the modem router side. UpnP is on on the eero. I'm signed into the eero network, as opposed to the nokia directly. 

20 years of this shit, and still these things can't work this out themselves. If I sign into the eero, use it's settings. I dunno. fuck it all. So frustrating.
  • To reiterate you need wired connections to sort the Nokia (so you can check bridge connection and reset to router if needed) and between Nokia and Eero. The wired connection between Nokia and Eero must be permanent
  • yeah, Eero is already directly plugged into Nokia. That's how it's designed to work.
  • Sorry if some of this is obvious / already tried etc. But I guarantee that
    1. The Eero has no modem and cannot function without one in the chain
    2. One of your routers must be in bridge mode
    3. You cannot get the mesh working from a non mesh router (Nokia)
    4. So it’s your Nokia which must be in bridge mode

And what’s going wrong is the connection between Nokia and Eero (no Internet to Eero = no Internet connection to any connected devices) and that will be either
    1. Nokia not working / connecting properly in bridge mode (verify with wired laptop)
    2. Connection between Nokia and Eero not working
    (Needs wired connection and possible re set up of Eero)
  • Yeah. Funk has explained this all already, but just in case it helps to read it in different words:

Sounds like your Nokia modem is still acting as a router, when you want it to stop doing that and just be a modem.

So what you need to do is switch your Nokia modem into bridge mode. Funk’s explained step-by-step how to do that.

Is that any help?
  • Yeah, I'll try in morning. It is already connected with a LAN cable to the mesh. And we're saying I should also LAN the laptop into the other port on the mesh to check connection?

Because when I set the beacon to bridge before, with mesh connected via LAN. It all just crashed and burned.
  • No need to apologise for anything obvious. None of it is obvious, and I'll bet the step I'm missing is something obvious to those who know.
  • Facewon wrote:
    And we're saying I should also LAN the laptop into the other port on the mesh to check connection?  

No. You should LAN the laptop into the other port on the Nokia to make the switch into bridge mode. Because when you do it, the Nokia won’t be working as router any more, let alone broadcasting any Wi-Fi signal. So you’ll need to be hardwired to be able to then do a restart.

Then disconnect the laptop and if everything isn’t magically working, reboot (or even factory reset) your Eero and set it up fresh. It should be picking up the Internet connection via LAN from the Nokia, and ready to go.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I'm only now realizing how much of a massive nerd Funk is. Great stuff
  • Also, as Face said, fuck absolutely everything to do with networking right in the ear. It shouldn’t be so fucking difficult in the year of our lord 2023.
  • Yeah, definitely sounds like both devices are currently set to be modems, so the first in the chain needs to be set as a bridge, so that all it does is pass the connection through to the second device which then handles the connection, and is the one you work from.

So it goes Box on wall > wired to Nokia modem (set in bridge mode) > wired to Eero > Everything connects to the Eero network

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!