The office gaming tourney thread
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It is. The Plus/DX version is brilliant too but it's a bit more hard core so thought the "plain" CE version would suffice for office gaming.

Usually use a projector but instead I have it rigged up to a rather nice 55" panel. Looks great.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Next time you have a Virtua Tennis comp I'll come and be your ringer.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Our Virtua Tennis tourney had to be abandoned this year - we had to evacuate our top floor in June because of a pigeon and mite infestation.....so for a month or so we were split over 2 buildings and the logistics wouldn't have worked.

Has anyone tried Pacman Battle Royale? Looks an interesting multiplayer proposition.
  • You should a do a Raiden high score challenge.

Presume a most lines Tetris challenge has been done already?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Usually do Tetris at Christmas as a 2 player versus knockout affair. First to 25 lines with garbage attacks on. Might go for 40 line sprint mode this year though

Thinking about a shooting game comp too - going to pick one that has a 2min or 5min caravan mode (Star Soldier or something like that). I reckon a Mr Driller Survival Mode event would be good too - games with a rapid turn-around are best.

Pacman CE leaderboard: (I got 112K but keeping myself out as noone had played this before)

Keith     79350                               
    Ryan      74630                           
    Simon B   72180                       
    Barry K   69660                          
    Paddy     55390                          
    Jonny S   54090
    Lynn      49720
    Suzanne   33650
    Natalie   31150
    Mark McD  27700
    JP        24060
    Mark L    14667
    Claire K  12200
    Conor (JP’s kid!) 11630
    Eric   8420

Eric getting some abuse as JP's kid is 5 and was in visiting daddy at lunchtime! This game went down extremely well. A lot of hilarity arising from people not being used to the joystick. The top table adapted quickly though.
  • Geometry Wars 2 Pacifist would be good too.

Very simple concept and unless someone properly gets in the zone, runs will be quite quick.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    That's a good call. It's a scary looking game though - might put my crowd off.
  • Scary looking? It's a colourful Asteroids.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    To us perhaps.

My daughter plays it who is very girly so there's hope for it I guess.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Next event is Halloween.

I usually have a Typing of the Dead competition but would like to change things up a bit.

Any ideas?

So far I've thought about score attack Ghosts & Goblins or HOTD (3 or Overkill)
  • If you have a Wii U you could do Luigi Ghost Mansion game on Nintendoland which is 5 player with the gamepad? Not sure how you could make it into a competitive format though.

You could possibly use Zombies (Ate my Neighbours) 2 player score attack, who can save more Neighbours etc?
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Kororinpa 2 (aka Marble Balance Challenge) has some lovely Haunted House themed levels - might be worth a time trial if one of them is accessible enough.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I just scraped our annual office Tetris Competition.We play a race to 25 lines with garbage attack on - best of 3.

Last year's champ missed the draw to be included but he faced me off in a challenge match. 

I'm glad last year's champ came to the console "cold" as he buried me in the first round. I squared it by getting to 25 a couple of lines ahead of him in the 2nd and in the decider with it even and 10 lines to go and our stacks getting higher because we were both going for Tetrises he screwed up and capped off his gap on the right of the grid so I squeezed the win.

What a game 2 player Tetris is - when players are evenly matched it's a brilliant versus mode game.
  • Games night in the office and we've got Stepmania, dance mat and a MASSIVE 80s dance hits song pack. Black Box let's do it!

Pumped.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Two day caravan shmup event this week. I selected Star Soldier on Gamecube in 2 min mode. Lovely old school game with nice-but-not-too-showy graphics.

Went down well - many hadn't played a shooting game in an age.

The 2min format allowed for lots of tries (and lots of quick restarts too once people got into it).
  • Nice, there was a few of them on PC Engine right? Or am I thinking of a different series?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Aye. There have been loads of Star Soldier games. Think they started on NES but the better ones were on PC Engine.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Dreamcast Daytona USA 2001 time trial up next. Will be running this over 2 days this week (Thur & Fri).

Using the the DC version because I have a wheel (the XBL version is lovely - but no wheel). The wheel adds to the experience and it sorts out the control issues reviewers complained about. With a standard pad it is far too sensitive and needs adjusting in the options - but the wheel default setup is fine.

Time attack mode - Dinosaur Canyon track - best single lap time.
  • Gaay Boneeeerr

Let's go away!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
  • YES fucking Takenobu! he's burning all the tyres up baby.

it wasn't until many years later i discovered the drifting by shifting gears down then up, still can't really do it that well - usually goes nice slide then a sudden massive crash.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Aye. powersliding's the key skill. You can do it with the brakes too which is a bit easier but you obviously lose speed. I'll just be selecting auto-transmission for accessibilty though.

The XBL version is very good in that there is a series of challenges that act almost as a training mode re powersliding etc. There's a shortcut in 777 speedway I didn't know about - you can cut a corner if you drive along the very edge of the pit lane - one of the challenges lays cones along the line and you have to knock them all down to earn that achievement. It's a nice job.
  • make sure you select Karaoke mode as well. though now i say that i think it was only in the 360 version...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yep. Pretty sure that's an XBL feature. A bit of a labour of love that version.
  • Man I really miss a good blue-sky driving game. Outrun 2 C2C does it for me. Same gear-shift down/up powerslide, great tunes. Banging.
  • What were the three girls called? Holly, Clarissa? and....?

What was the guy called, Alphonso?

Can only find Flag Guy listed online. I can't be the only one this bothers.
  • Alberto and Jennifer apparently.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!