Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    It was received as such even then.
  • Facewon wrote:
    Bad pharma. Just started, but so far, goldacre is pretty much gold standard for writing non fiction/arguing a point impeccably and covering counters. So awesome.

Yeah, I really liked this. Bought it for a long plane journey many years back, the time flew.
  • Tempy wrote:
    The comic is not super long, and is also not finished. If you read every prose entry that is made... then you'll be there for a while. I skipped them all, but they might be even more your shit. It has DEEP LORE and a MAP latest?cb=20160319195555
    I'll have a look at this in the coming days. 

Polished off Monstress vol.1. It's brilliant, despite some  too ridiculous monikers (inquisitrix?). Steampunk world full of talking cats, ancient gods, and intriguing magical half-breed types. Also, Maiko Halfwolf is now my favourite character name and the art is stunning.#

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRFKMhMfq0G03AQ3Cje1GLu-96AJE3KqUNbEORWYK4cZ6Lnkq1D

tumblr_o5p5acFPBt1qzg4tbo1_1280.jpg
    Roll on volume 2!
  • 6 billion demons is fun. Any other things like that worth staring at?
  • Saga by Image comics is supposedly quite a bit like it, otherwise I found it a bit like Grant Morrison's stuff
  • Saga is absolutely fantastic. I'm up to vol 5 and it keeps getting better and better.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Reading They Mostly Come Out At Night now. Not far in yet. Lovely cover. There's a certain charm to someone called the Magpie King, it must be said.

29743933.jpg
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    That's yer Shattered Sea finished. Enjoyed it well enough, all three books very readable, with the plot slightly predictable at times by engagingly written.

Now, what to next...?
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    The Yiddish Policemen's Union.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    FUCKING HATED THAT BOOK

sorry
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I really liked Kavalier and Clay tho
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Lay on this shasulonge and tell me of your troubles with the Alaskan Jew.

I read it like 7 or 8 years ago but my memory is positive.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Reading Spycatcher.

Was infamous when it went on sale - At the time I was a student in the late 80s but had no interest in such things back then.

Quite easy reading and the character studies are fun. Wright goes into some detail and I can see why there were attempts to suppress it even though the tech (he was a scientist) was no secret to the other side at the time.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I read Lonesome Dove last year, which I enjoyed more than I'd be able to describe.  For some reason I was wary of the prequels and sequel, but I'm giving it a go with Dead Man's Walk at the moment and I can't wait to get on the train and get stuck in, so I plan to carry on in a sec.  Cowboys & Indians eh?  Scintillating stuff, the young Call and McCrae are just as wonderful as the old ones.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Just finished The Sellout.  I think it was very good, but I'm not sure if I should think that or not.  In fact I'm just confused.  Some great lines in it, that's for sure.
  • Another shout for Saga. It's really great.
  • Amazing news. (Hyperbole Alert).

Neil Gaiman's next book will be a sequel to Neverwhere. That follows from the news earlier in the week that Pullman is doing a follow-up trilogy to His Dark Materials. Excite.
  • Handmaids Tale. 
    Pretty good and kind of topical and a little chilling with what's going on in the good old US of A at the moment.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • I cannot rate Borges highly enough. Going to buy his bibliography.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Thinking of getting my mom a nice book for her birthday, she recently picked up Citadel by Kate Mosse and is enjoying that, mainly because we've been to Carcassonne a couple of years ago. 

She seems to like fantasy with a historic twist, always likes king and queen drama's on television as well. Anyone any tips what to get? She seems pretty open minded, just enjoys having some time to relax, even set up a special chair to read in.
  • Hillary Mantel is supposed to be good at that, everyone raves about Wolf Hall
  • Not read them, but what about the Temeraire series? Napoleonic War but, um, with DRAGONS. Fantasy / Alt-History.
    Stopharage wrote:
    Amazing news. (Hyperbole Alert). Neil Gaiman's next book will be a sequel to Neverwhere. That follows from the news earlier in the week that Pullman is doing a follow-up trilogy to His Dark Materials. Excite.
    Amazing scenes!
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Thanks, Hillary Mantel sounds good, prefer not to get her the first book of a series, in case it disappoints. I'll mention the Temeraire series to her, and ask about her stance about dragons. Dunno if they fit the romantic historic view.

Seems like the main person in Wolf Hall is the son of a smith, which might add something for her as my dad used to be a smith.

Currently finishing The Hydrogen Sonata myself, then only The Algebraist is left of the culture novels for me. Time to slowly start looking forward to what will be next (first I need to get a nice chair and good light though, so that I'm actually able to read properly).
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    How is Hydro? I still have Excession to read.

I'm currently between Pale Fire (attention issues and plate spinning) and The Essex Serpent which apparently won Waterstone's book of 2016. Bit of a quaint namedrop fest right now because it's set in and around Colchester but that could be I notice them more for reason of living there. London noble ivory tower types trying to discover if a sea monster has actually returned to the river Blackwater and is eating people while revelations Essex isn't a total shithole.
  • Mantel slaps and owns.
  • Nina wrote:
    Thinking of getting my mom a nice book for her birthday, she recently picked up Citadel by Kate Mosse and is enjoying that, mainly because we've been to Carcassonne a couple of years ago.  She seems to like fantasy with a historic twist, always likes king and queen drama's on television as well. Anyone any tips what to get? She seems pretty open minded, just enjoys having some time to relax, even set up a special chair to read in.

The Golem and the Djinni by Helene Wecker?  It's a story set amongst the immigrant community of 19th Century New York, living amongst whom are the two displaced titular magical creatures.  Ticks both fantasy and historical novel, and the mixing of cultural mythology sort of amplifies both somehow.

Though, yeah, you can't go wrong with Mantel
  • Nina wrote:
    Currently finishing The Hydrogen Sonata myself, then only The Algebraist is left of the culture novels for me. Time to slowly start looking forward to what will be next (first I need to get a nice chair and good light though, so that I'm actually able to read properly).

Also currently on Hyrdrogen Sonata, enjoying it.  It'll be my last one :(
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Nina wrote:
    Thinking of getting my mom a nice book for her birthday, she recently picked up Citadel by Kate Mosse and is enjoying that, mainly because we've been to Carcassonne a couple of years ago. 

She seems to like fantasy with a historic twist, always likes king and queen drama's on television as well. Anyone any tips what to get? She seems pretty open minded, just enjoys having some time to relax, even set up a special chair to read in.

Carter Meets the Devil?

• Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Bollockoff wrote:
    How is Hydro? I still have Excession to read.
    I like it, was a bit hard to get into as it feels like this is his most political one, loads of things going on at different levels in society. But the way it all comes together is so well done, like all his books. (Note, I'm reading these in English and that's not my mother language, sometimes I need to reread a couple of times before I start to understand what's going on).

And thanks Tin and Stop, I'll add those to the list. Might actually start reading a couple of them myself, I always go for the spaceships so will be a nice change. And I actually have time to read a little, just no chair yet.
  • https://longreads.com/2017/02/01/xenus-paradox-the-fiction-of-l-ron-hubbard/

Great read about Hubbard as writer. Really Interesting and not the same old...
    I'm still great and you still love it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!