The B&B Book Review
  • Y'see, this is where the Voyage tempts me. Exactly the same main issue as pantyfire in that I have to use a little light at night time which is fine but... y'know. Not great. The Voyage may not have lovely clicky buttons but a haptic button on the bezel is much preferable to touching the screen. /shudder
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Step off nerds.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Because I haven't been enjoying the new Priest, I've been reading some HARD sci-fi with 'Ancillary Justice' by Ann Leckie, which swept the sci-fi awards in 2014, winning the Arthur C Clarke award, the Hugo Award, the Nebula Award, the Locus Award, and the British Science Fiction Association Best Novel award. 

It really throws you straight in to some hard Mass Effect-esque lore, but without the codex to help you make sense of it. Add to this (I'ma reveal this as it's announced on the first 5 pages) that the main character is an AI who was previously a ship, and it's really quite different. I'm really enjoying it though, and about 100 pages in. Looking forward to more.
  • Keep us updated, always on the lookout for decent sci-if recommends. I miss M.Banks :(
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Ancillary Justice is very good, aye. Well deserved awards. Haven't read the sequels but I probably will at some point.
  • I'm just finishing off The Malice by Peter Newman. Mega-pulpy fantasy with shades of Mieville in terms of monsterschlock if not prose. It's a weird one as it's written in 3rd person present and the viewpoint is pretty different to most books out there. 

I like it but it does takes some work to get into the flow.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    The Daddy wrote:
    Keep us updated, always on the lookout for decent sci-if recommends. I miss M.Banks :(

Srsly.
    I've tried to explain the amazing ending of Excession to people over the years, but it's hard to really explain why it's so cool that it's just
    Spoiler:
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'm going to have another got at Pynchon's "V". Found it unengaging and lost interest first time but I believe it's worth another go.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    I'm going to have another got at Pynchon's "V". Found it unengaging and lost interest first time but I believe it's worth another go.

So I finally read that on a boat which felt like the right place. I enjoyed it despite the slogz
  • The Girl of Ink & Stars.

Excellent stuff. Really rather good. Not quite as good so far as The Wolf Wilder (a future classic) but I'm really enjoying it so far. It's not as poetic as TWW but the story is a good 'un.
  • Anyone with kids aged 10ish+ must go and buy those two books for their children now, by order of Lord High Teacher TigerSiwflyrly.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    So I finished The Roanoke Girls. It really wasn't very good. I mean there was no twist it was a yucky story but the yuck revealed about two chapters in and never meaningfully changed from there. Weak prose, not greatly written, only a couple of good scenes & the relationship been Lane & Cooper the only enjoyable/interesting dynamic. Not exactly recommended, I can't even remember why I start reading it beyond "it's only 99p" and "ooh look I don't need to move to start reading it". Fucking kindle.

Anyway, up next, some Agatha Christie. Have I somehow never actually ready any before? I think only one or two, a decade or two ago. How deep do I dive?
  • Currently reading the naked trader by robbie burns. Tells you how shares work and how trading works. Not that I have any money to buy shares, but I like learning new things. One of the suggestions in the book is to give yourself an imaginary 50k and see how you do in the market for 6 months. Gonna get the missus involved so we can make it a competition. I have a hunch that my research will amount to nothing and her random picks over a 6 month period will do much better. Anyway, once I've finished the book I'll give it a go.
  • I'm just finishing off The Malice by Peter Newman. Mega-pulpy fantasy with shades of Mieville in terms of monsterschlock if not prose. It's a weird one as it's written in 3rd person present and the viewpoint is pretty different to most books out there.  I like it but it does takes some work to get into the flow.

I'm reading the first one - The Vagrant, I'm enjoying it but there's loads of different names being thrown at you all the time . I've got Malice cheap on my Kindle and Peter Newman.has just released the final book in the trilogy .

Got The Red Sister by Mark Lawrence ready to go but the hardbacks massive and isn't as easy to read as the kindle version but I've bought everyone of his books and will carry on that way.
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Didn;t want to derail the TV thread any further than it is already

Anyone knwo anywhere good to find out about tracking book down, given a precis of the story, settings information about the illustrations etc
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I'm just finishing off The Malice by Peter Newman. Mega-pulpy fantasy with shades of Mieville in terms of monsterschlock if not prose. It's a weird one as it's written in 3rd person present and the viewpoint is pretty different to most books out there. 

I like it but it does takes some work to get into the flow.

I've just started that - seems ok so far but not as immediate as the first one.

Over Easter I read books 1-6 of the Charlie Higson YA zombie series 'The Enemy'. I started reading the first one to see if it was suitable for my son to read and got utterly hooked. The writing is relatively simple, as it's YA, but holy fucking shit he's created what might be the single greatest zombie series going - the world is so consistently well drawn and the characters are people you actually care about.

It's also probably one of the grimmest reads I've enjoyed in a long time - every character is a child and so there's a hell of a lot of child killing, dismemberment, torture, mutilation, cannibalism etc. Bleak as fuck, but brilliant. I got quite obsessed with it over the holidays, to the point that when I went to see Blanck Mass last Friday in Glasgow I almost convinced myself that a zombie apocalypse was about to break out there and then. I was astonishingly high though. Recommend- the books, not getting high (although, y'know).
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Anyone read the alien trilogy: out of shadows, sea of sorrows and river of pain? I've heard that the audible books for these are suppose to be really good.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Finished And Then There Were None. Was good. Got me ma to bring round some other Christies too, hurrah. But for now I'm on to The Girl With all the Gifts Which is very intriguing in its opening, and shot has just kicked off so fuck knows where it's heading. A smidge of the Passage to it which is no bad thing.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    The first 100 pages are storming and then it becomes dull as anything sadly
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Bravely Default in book form?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Get out
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Thing is, BD nails the ending. Sadly TGWATG doesn't
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Too many books, like film, fuck the ending.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Pet Semetary I'd argue is King's only strong ending.
  • OK, listening to an Alien audio drama (individual voice actors plus sound effects), whilst lying in bed in pitch black darkness is not the best idea.
  • Pet Semetary I'd argue is King's only strong ending.

Carrie ends well. And then there's stuff like Mr Mercedes and Revival which are good.

But he does tend to disappoint a bit.

I'm on a King run at the moment. Currently reading the short stories which became Stand by Me and Shawshank.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    The first 100 pages are storming and then it becomes dull as anything sadly

Would have to agree. I thought it shit the bed in the last 50 pages.

Was enough prose in the opening, that I'll give the sequel a go - which is out tomorrow.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    WorKid wrote:
    Pet Semetary I'd argue is King's only strong ending.

Carrie ends well. And then there's stuff like Mr Mercedes and Revival which are good.

But he does tend to disappoint a bit.

I'm on a King run at the moment. Currently reading the short stories which became Stand by Me and Shawshank.

Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon is still my personal favourite, good ending too.

Last one I read of his was the faith healer one- goes utterly ballistic at the end

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!