The B&B Book Review
  • I've seen that a few times and it's caught my eye but I haven't picked it up yet.

Will try.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    That's u + Rouj then. I will pur chase th is th ing
  • Lads it's fucking great. Get it. Also plug for the rest of Raven Books stuff if you like crimey thrillery gothicky noiry stuff.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • From that time they were left in peace; but the trader’s wife became very thin, and
    though her reason returned, she shortly afterwards died of consumption. The other
    lady, Mrs. Wang, began to get better as soon as the foxes had been killed; and as to
    the boy, he was taught riding and archery[3] by his proud parent, and subsequently
    rose to high rank in the army.
  • Has anyone given Emily Wilson's translation of The Odyssey a whirl yet? The audiobook's gonna be a while according to her twit.
  • Why bother when you have Rieu's?
  • It seems like it could be fun.
  • Thorough research on Emily colours me interested.
  • Stopharage wrote:
    Recently finished The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton. Best to go into it knowing as little as possible. It's probably the most original bit of writing I've seen in years. It's extremely disorientating and for much of the first half of the book you'll be utterly flummoxed by what on earth is going on. It's a (possible) murder-mystery set in a Cluedo-esque setting with a wide cast of characters, most of whom are deeply unlikeable. There is also a consistently shifting narrative and the whole thing has a touch of Sexy Brutale. Recommended.

Agreed on all of this. It’s fantastic, properly original.

Mentioned this past time; my 9 year old girl is called Evie Hardcastle so that got me to pick it off the shelf in the first place.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    Booked it during train rides. But yeah I only audio stuff now, it's a better use of my time.

I love the idea of audio books - but my mind wanders when I try them.

Or I fall asleep.

One of my favourite things is drifting off to sleep to some random narrative on Radio 4.  That's probably why this happens to me.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Just finished Neil gaimans Norse mythology. Now I can go back to God of War
  • regmcfly wrote:

Is it actually a decent story? It looks pretty hefty but don't know if gaiman has told it as a narrative or just a collection of 'facts' as the were
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • MattyJ wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:

Is it actually a decent story? It looks pretty hefty but don't know if gaiman has told it as a narrative or just a collection of 'facts' as the were

I thought it was more of a collection really
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Kernowgaz wrote:
    MattyJ wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:

I thought it was more of a collection really

It's a collection of myths, as most of these are. They're structured in an order that links certain events. I enjoyed it. It's very straightforwardly written.
  • Silke wrote:
    The Complete Essays by Michel de Montaigne.

The only blogger you'll ever need.

So I googled looking for his blog.....
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Stopharage wrote:
    Recently finished The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton. Best to go into it knowing as little as possible. It's probably the most original bit of writing I've seen in years. It's extremely disorientating and for much of the first half of the book you'll be utterly flummoxed by what on earth is going on. It's a (possible) murder-mystery set in a Cluedo-esque setting with a wide cast of characters, most of whom are deeply unlikeable. There is also a consistently shifting narrative and the whole thing has a touch of Sexy Brutale. Recommended.

Agreed on all of this. It’s fantastic, properly original.

Mentioned this past time; my 9 year old girl is called Evie Hardcastle so that got me to pick it off the shelf in the first place.
    So it's definitely the Seven and not the 7,5 right? Amazon only found the 7,5 one, which will release in September apparently.

I'm looking for something new to read after I've finished the 3rd Annihilation book. The Seven Deaths doesn't seem to have an ebook version though.
  • Nina in the US it's 7 1/2 Deaths, some clash of names with a similar book or something so they changed the name. Might not be out over there yet like you said.

There's definitely an ebook though, but maybe it's not on the US marketplace yet or something.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Thanks. Had a look at Amazon UK and they indeed have the Kindle version and it seems to be cheap now. £4,76 in stead of the US $26 to pre order the book.

I'll see if I can purchase that one then.

edit. can't seem to purchase from UK amazon. Wrong region. Would anyone see if they can gift it? I can use paypal to cover the costs of course.
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    Reading Strange stories from a Chinese studio by Pu Songling. Anyone else read it?

Each story might have a moral or lesson to teach, but by fuck are the majority a complete head scratcher. It is like some of the stories just stop.

Mr Wang got up early for breakfast. He had eggs and bacon. There was a strange light in the sky. Mr Wang finished his breakfast. End.

Welcome to Chinese literature.
  • Here’s the thing, Chinese is a pretty vague language - words carry a whole lot of implication but lack specificity, and the approach to storytelling is quite different as well, often just being a sequence of events on a theme or overall arching narrative, rather than a traditional multi-act structure. It’s why the pacing of chinese movies can seem quite weird, sometimes, and it’s also why when I ask my students to explain the plot of a movie they often start by trying to describe every plot beat and character as it happens, rather than just give a description of what the movie is generally about.

Add to that, a lot of texts from various Chinese periods and dynasties expect an implicit understanding of:

1. Confucian / Daoist principles
    2. Chinese social structure
    3. The Chinese national character

Chinese self-critical writing can be pretty fucking tops, though, and there’s some really cool stuff. A good intro to looking at Chinese society from a critical perspective is the short essay “Looking to the West” by Long Yontai, which only takes a few minutes.

After that, go to The Legend of AhQ, by Lu Xun, as well as Ding Ling’s Miss Sophia’s Diary and then there’s a play called Thunderstorm. It’s also worth checking out To Live (活着)which is a Cultural Revolution era story.

These are all 20th century writings, but they’ll help teach some concepts and ideas which are common in writings from previous dynasties. Plus, you know, they’re pretty fucking great.
  • Will take a look at your recs. There is something compelling even if a little peculiar about it.
  • Some pretty decent books reduced on Kindle for the weekend. 

Reservoir 13 by Jon McGregor. Highly praised last year, won a load of awards. Its about a community dealing with the disappearance of a child. It's not really a crime novel but is about the development of the community over the years that follow. The style of writing will either annoy you or you'll fall for it. Worth using the 'look inside' aspect of Amazon to check the stilting prose. 

Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer is down to £1.49. I've been championing it since it came out and it's gone down pretty well here. He also has a short story collection going cheap. 

America City by Chris Beckett is 99p. He's very highly thought of in sci-fi circles and his Eden trilogy is decent. This is more a realistic dystopian imagining than an out-and-out sci-fi blockbuster. 

The Last Days of Paris by China Mieville is 99p. 

The Weirdstone of Brisingamen by Alan Garner was one of my favourite books when I was a nipper and is well worth a read at £1.49.

The stone cold classic that is Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy is down to 99p. 

If you like Christopher Hitchens, then God is Not Great is down to £1.29.

To Kill the President by Sam Bourne. Got a load of column inches last year for basically having a Trump-esque president in danger of being offed by the people around him, written by a Guardian writer. I read it on holiday and it was perfect holiday fodder but didn't have a great deal of depth.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Read Iceberg Slim's Pimp recently...

Excellent read, though somewhat trashy. Very strange lifestyle...
    Like, on the cusp of reason, but utterly repulsive.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Read The Algebraist (Ian M Banks) which was excellent - hugely inventive, nice comic touches, and a intriguing story.  

About to finish In a Cottage In a Wood, which is pretty pulp-fiction but fun enough (and enjoyably light in comparison).  A week's holiday looming, so hoping to get some more reading under my belt, though with the Kindle loaded up I'm not sure what...
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Waaaa wtaf the author of that book, randomly recommended by Amazon, is my old neighbor. Under a vague pseudonym.

And her "no 1 ebook best seller" is called "The Woman Next Door". That's some fucked up coincidence. Which I wouldn't have even spotted were it not for the acknowledgements including a local pic repair shop which git me curious!
  • Just finished The Republic of Thieves ( Book 3 of The Gentleman Bastards ) and it was as brilliant as expected. Locke Lamora and Jean are two of my all time favourite characters and the author has a wonderful grasp of dialogue. It also managed to have a great balance between a stand alone story / advancing the overall narrative of the series. Great stuff.

Although I have now caught up and need to wait for the next one which sucks.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'm onto A Murder of Quality which feels like Me Carre trying to do Christie and bit doing it hugely will. Oh well, it's fairly short, so I'll plough on.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    The Unwomanly Face of War it turns out is the most upsetting collection of war memoirs I've ever read. I can only read a dozen or so pages before needing to take a break. Trying to read it in the bath yesterday and I ended up feeling nauseous and had to throw it away.

I've watched the infamous film Come and See which dramatises the factual mass slaughter of rural Russian villages by the Wermacht and ends with an entire village being locked in a barn which is then set on fire as they all watch. No punches pulled in showing it either.

And even with this little context I am shocked by it all. I thought I'd gotten jaded to historical slaughter but this has cut me deep. In this case, due to 99% of the memoirs being female soldiers often as young as 16, who are also running off to the front to fight with no idea what they're getting into, the grief piles up. These women recount their front experience often in completely different ways to men from any nation's army. They talk readily about emotions, snipers feeling for stray horses their comrades goad them into shooting for meat then refusing to partake in the stew from guilt, kissing a dying man who's delirious and thinks you're his sweetheart back home who he never confessed to, recounting crimson ice flows containing the frozen remains of Russian and German soldiers slowly down river like some macabre curio.

Then we have life after the war were many women are seen as unmarriable and are barely remembered in the state literature. The author includes several conversations she had by post with state censors wondering exactly why she would even care about these women's first hand accounts. "You've been reading too much Remarque" (All's Quite on the Western Front) says one who suggests she's mistreating her countries' heroines by humanising them.
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    Yeah, all of Svetlana Alexievich's books are like that, and taken together they show you all aspects of war; all the sacrifices behind the creation of the communist Soviet state and the day to day people are left behind with after its dissolution. And they break your heart. Over and over again.

Don't know the english titles but the book about Chernobyl and the (thick) one really digging into the aforementioned Soviet breakdown are absolutely remarkable.
    It's a world of truck drivers.
  • What are the native titles?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!