Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    Let's see...

Molitva dlja Tjernobylja and Vremja second hand. I read them in swedish as Bön för Tjernobyl (roughly, A Litany for Chernobyl) and Tiden second hand (Time second hand).
    It's a world of truck drivers.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    It's a brilliant work of journalism and I'm only half way through. It's caused me some difficult self-reflection in why I read material like this. By the end of it I'm going to try and force myself to articulate just what I find so alluring about tragedy well told because these women and their stories, and by extension the story of PTSD suffered by an entire nation not just through its people but its infrastructure and national identity, is so addictive. 12 pages a go is still shift work I'm enjoying.

Russian's deserve better than Putin.
  • Just finished AmericanWar by Omar El Akkad. It opens with the outbreak of the Second American Civil War in 2074 and impact it has on one particularly family. In part a cautionary tale, but also mirrors the ‘war on terror’ and present geopolitics but with the roles shifted somewhat. It’s a plausible dystopian scenario which is as well written a debut as I’ve read in ages. An excellent read and one which I think will be highly thought of for years to come.
  • Been slogging through Life 3.0 for like 2 months, the premise is exactly my cup of tea, big thought experiments on what might happen if you take the development of AI right to it's logical conclusion waaaaaaay in the future.

But I swear down it's the worst laid out book I've ever read. The pages are just crammed with smallish text, narrow margins, tiny line spacing, footnotes that don't always apply to the page they're on, etc.

Every page feels like getting hit in the face with a wall of text. I might have to abandon it and come back later, finally got 1984 up next on the book pile of shame and its calling out to me.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    1984... I'm glad to have read it, but it was one dreary ass book, I won't lie.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Started Don Quixote recently.

Amazing book. So rich in texture.
    Goes from incredibly funny to deadly serious, in the blink of an eye.

It's amazing to think it's 3-400 years old.

Also, while I can't be sure what anyone would make of this parallel, it reminds me of Huckleberry Finn a great deal. Especially the duo on a road trip aspect.

So far, the book has been more funny than serious, but I can't wait to see what's to come.

Cracking read.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'm reading The Mysterious Affair at Styles. Which has been classic Christie so far, really...
  • Fun fact I have probably read every Christie ever.
  • Brooks wrote:
    Fun fact I have probably read every Christie ever.

For some reason I actually find this surprising.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • I love whodunnits, they're basically puzzle games. Christie's aren't very difficult though tbh.
  • Get on 7 Deaths then Brooks, you'll love it.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I was looking for a palette cleanser after the distressing last book I've been reading but Weapons of Math Destruction wasn't really that. It is a super-good read for a layman though in regards to how prevalent predictive algorithms are in society today with a focus on crime prediction software, insurance is still racist through the use of addresses and most online universities in the states are more or less criminal enterprises abusing the poor's spark of hope for a better life. It's written by a data scientist who had a crisis of conscience during the 2009 depression while working for a hedge fund.

"On a separate but related project, one of the other researchers had found an extremely strong correlation, one that pointed to a solution. A certain group of homeless families tended to disappear from the shelters and never return. These were the ones who had been granted vouchers under a federal affordable housing program called Section 8. This shouldn't have been too surprising if you provide homeless families with affordable housing, not too many of them will opt for the streets or squalid shelters. 

Yet that conclusion might have been embarrassing to then mayor Michael Bloomberg and his administration. With much fanfare, the city government had moved to wean families from section 8. It instituted a new system called Advantage, which limited subsidies to three years. The idea was that the looming expiration of their benefits would push poor people to make more money and pay their own way. This proved optimistic, as the data made clear. meanwhile, New York's booming real estate market was driving up rents, making the transition even more daunting. Families without Section 8 vouchers steamed back into the shelters. 

The researcher's finding was not welcome. For a meeting with important public officials, our group prepared a PowerPoint presentation about homelessness in New York. After the slide with statistics about recidivism and the effectiveness of Section 8 was put up, an extremely awkward and brief conversation took place. Someone demanded the slide be taken down. The party line prevailed."
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'm reading The Seven Deaths... which yeah is interesting
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Finished my next Lem, The Cyberiad. A collection of short tales set in Space where the universe is a medieval Europe populated by conceited Robots who are also often figuratively cunts. The main linchpins between the stories are two famed robot constructors (scientists/alchemists/wizards) who are sought after for employment and threatened in equal measure by at least a dozen monarchs. You get mostly comedy with a lot of science fiction tropes bashed, mashed and downright subverted into pure freshness. The best titled story is easily "The Fourth Sally, or How Trurl Built a Femfatalatron to Save Prince Pantagoon from the Pangs of Love, and how Later He Resorted to a Cannonade of Babies."

The real marvel though is how the hell most of it was translated from Polish. There's a few word games and some poetry that feel like they had to have come from an original English source but this doesn't seem to be the case. Reinforces respect to the craft of literary translators when it gets to this level. Definitely worth mentioning Michael Kandel's name next to Lem's.

Also finished The Unwomanly Face of War. I never want to read it again but I am going to read everything Svetlana Alexievich has ever written. What's translated into English anyway.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I’ve recently polished off The Dark Tower III: The Waste Lands. In short, these books aren’t as good as I remember. Also finished Andrew Lang’s translation of The Arabian Nights for research purposes, which was actually very enjoyable when consumed in short doses.

One book I just couldn’t get through was John Connelly’s The Book of Lost Things, a twisted fairytale aimed at a younger audience. I wanted to read it to see what the competition was up to. Not a lot, it seems. I don’t think I’ve ever read prose so plain and unlovely, and I cannot imagine anyone but the most undemanding of ten year olds would get anything out of it.

Now working my way through Erin Morgenstern’s The Night Circus. So far, so average. Also rereading Clive Barker’s Everville, which is much better.
    Get schwifty.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Way above but I find Christie tiring. It's always a thing that you're not as a reader ready for and it seems like it's a rug pull for the sake of being one. As if she didn't like her audience being smart enough. There's better out there.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Started reading The Last Days of New Paris. Even as half a Mieville fan this is physically painful.
  • I liked it. Took a while though.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Way above but I find Christie tiring. It's always a thing that you're not as a reader ready for and it seems like it's a rug pull for the sake of being one. As if she didn't like her audience being smart enough. There's better out there.

Yup, fair. Readable though. Which better would you recommend (of that ilk)?

• Lem is basically the best scifi writer.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:

Yup, fair. Readable though. Which better would you recommend (of that ilk)?

Get yourself involved in some Rex Stout and his Nero Wolfe series. Far more supportive of the reader's intelligence
  • Anyone know of an easily digestible book about World War 2? The wife and I have been watching Band of Brothers recently, her first time, and she would like to know more about the events of the war having seemingly not paid attention at school to this stuff.

But it can't be too dense, as she'll never get through it. Any ideas?
  • I won't recc Ian Kershaw's Hitler biography then (though that's real good).
  • MattyJ wrote:
    Anyone know of an easily digestible book about World War 2? The wife and I have been watching Band of Brothers recently, her first time, and she would like to know more about the events of the war having seemingly not paid attention at school to this stuff. But it can't be too dense, as she'll never get through it. Any ideas?

I'd suggest Anthony Beevor's Second World War, but that is a mighty 1000 pages, so maybe work your way up to that (although I'd skip some chapters - the build up to the Japan-China conflict for instance).

Your best bet might be World War Two:A Short History by Norman Stone. Only a couple of hundred pages and manages to pack a hell of a lot of content into 200 pages. 

Even easier and a great starting point (plus its 99p) would be World War Two: History in an Hour by Rupert Colley.
  • Ta Stoph, have ordered the Norman Stone one.
  • Watch The World At War.
  • Truly one the best docs ever made. And impossible to make today. The great thing about it is you can use the dvd timeline booklet to work out what bits you are lacking knowledge in and watch those if you want.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Aye. World At War is a great place to start.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!