The B&B Book Review
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I read it. It's rather good. Very good in fact.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Those who like it might like The Forever War, which also looks at the evolution of a conflict over relativistic time.
    Can-of-sprite
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I wasn’t completely sold on Children of Time. It was ambitious and average all at the same time. I’ve heard very good things about The Forever War, so it’s on the list.
    Get schwifty.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Decided to just power through the spider bit in Children of Time and it's only gotten worse!
    Spoiler:

I will continue reading but I don't know how much more I can take.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I don't think you've got to the worst bit yet. Then it kinda eases off in a way. And then we'll more stuff happens.

hth
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I have acute arachnophobia, Nina, and I made it through. It’s not pleasant, and there were quite a few times when I wondered why on Earth I was reading it. It’s difficult for me to say whether I actually think it’s worth pushing on with or not. I think the bigger issue I had with the book that trumped the icky feeling it gave me, was the structure: one chapter for spiders and one chapter for humans and so on and so forth. It prevented me from getting deeply immersed in the storylines.
    Get schwifty.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yeah agreed. Even looking back in not quite sure what I think of it overall. Will look up The Forever War...
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    It's the Joe Helderman series folk are referring to, right?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    He by John Connolly.

A novel based around the chaotic personal life of Stan Laurel. The facts provide the skeleton of the narrative but the creation of fancied inner thoughts create the novel.  A brilliant work. At times hilarious, at others, sad.  L&H are beloved of me so this adds to my enjoyment. A knowledge of their creative output helps but this is a great piece of literature.

I like short chapters in books as it gives me plenty of opportunity to take a natural break. This book is structured in almost page length breaks - but I kept reading. It's told in the present tense and has an unusual style but once I got used to that I couldn't put it down.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I've just been reminded of Bartleby, the Scrivener. Best short story.

http://moglen.law.columbia.edu/LCS/bartleby.pdf
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Finished Dune, which c80% was the word "presently".
  • I've just been reminded of Bartleby, the Scrivener. Best short story. http://moglen.law.columbia.edu/LCS/bartleby.pdf

Bloody love that story.
  • Yeah it's bloody brilliant. It's one of those stories that sits at the back of your mind, forever influencing your psyche.

It's hailed as the start of modernism but it's also, I think, the instant rejection of it.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Reading The Three Body Problem by Cixin Liu. It might be one of the best Scifi books I've read in absolutely ages. It's like nothing else I've read before.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Gremill wrote:
    Reading The Three Body Problem by Cixin Liu. It might be one of the best Scifi books I've read in absolutely ages. It's like nothing else I've read before.
    I read the lot last year. 
    Overall I enjoyed them.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    With the nice weather and the prospect of no job looming, I was thinking I might spend the summer in the garden reading an enormous fantasy epic. For years I’ve been tempted by The Wheel of Time series, but I’ve been put off both by its size and the fact that it was incomplete. Think I’m up for it now that it’s done and I’m going to have a bit more time on my hands. Has anyone else read it?
    Get schwifty.
  • pantyfire wrote:
    Gremill wrote:
    Reading The Three Body Problem by Cixin Liu. It might be one of the best Scifi books I've read in absolutely ages. It's like nothing else I've read before.
    I read the lot last year. 
    Overall I enjoyed them.

This prompted me to hunt down book number 3 on Audible. Downloaded and listening. Cheers.
  • Raiziel wrote:
    For years I’ve been tempted by The Wheel of Time series, but I’ve been put off both by its size and the fact that it was incomplete. Has anyone else read it?

I have, it's bloody long, there are a lot of characters, and some books flow exactly the same as the others. I did enjoy reading them though.

However, is not a touch on the Malazan books or Ian Irvine's Three Worlds novels.

Glad I read it, wouldn't read it all again though.
    Can-of-sprite
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    The Malazan series is definitely on my radar. I’ve been snapping them up whenever they appear in a Kindle sale, so I will get to them at some point.
    Get schwifty.
  • Got sidetracked from The Poppy War but I'm back on it now.

Fuck me some of it is as dark as anything else I've read.
  • Busy week for Mark Lawrence , One Word Kill our today( free on kindle if you have Amazon Prime or 99p if you sign up to Amazon First Reads ).

Also the last of his latest trilogy Holy Sister , really looking forward to that one.
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • Yeah, I read Grey Sister last month - it's brilliant, particularly the second half of it when it veers away from being a violent Hogwarts and turns into something completely different.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Raiziel wrote:
    With the nice weather and the prospect of no job looming, I was thinking I might spend the summer in the garden reading an enormous fantasy epic. For years I’ve been tempted by The Wheel of Time series, but I’ve been put off both by its size and the fact that it was incomplete. Think I’m up for it now that it’s done and I’m going to have a bit more time on my hands. Has anyone else read it?

Yeah. The general criticism is that the pacing slows down in books 7-10, which would have been a massive issue when the books were coming out once every two years but I don't think matters so much now you can blast through them. To a lesser extent it's also noted that while Sanderson did a good job with the remaining books, the changeover is sometimes noticeable.

I reckon if you're into fantasy and inclined towards putting the major series on your bucket list then now is a good time for WoT as the TV series is out soon with all the potential internet spoilers and visual imagery making it harder to imagine stuff from scratch that that entails.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Oh wow, I had no idea there was a series on the way. Best get on it then. Currently reading Lord Dunsany’s The King of Elfland’s Daughter which, while sweet, is so so antiquated, and what with that and a couple of Arthur Machen’s books I’m definitely hungry for something contemporary.
    Get schwifty.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Raiziel wrote:
    Oh wow, I had no idea there was a series on the way.

Eek me neither. Have read about the first six or seven I think but like ten years ago - any hope of me being able to carry on from the next one without a recap?? I think they each start with a "previously on Wheel if Time" don't they? Some formulaic elements I guess...

Anyone I'm on book one of the second Mark Lawrence trilogy ATM. Not sure I'm enjoying it quite as much as the first trilogy yet, but people say Wheel of Oshem is a goodun so hopefully it'll heat up...

I keep buying other random stuff too my Kindle had it's own huge PoS. The Body Problem amidst it, and the tower of Babel thingy, and I've not heard of Ian Irvine & have only read the first Malazan (which I find hard work), so fuck me there's lots of bookage ahead...
  • Re wheel of time.

Don’t restart. Barely anything happens in each book. Find some plot synopsis to get you back up to speed.

I just finished book 7. I’m enjoying them but they need to be read quickly.

When’s the TV series out?
    GT: Knight640
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    The publisher did a series of 'reread' blog posts that are pretty good. They might have republished them as free Kindle books, I can't remember.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Just finished Power of the Dog  by Thomas Savage.  Best thing I've read this year, much as I love my ongoing Hap & Leonard journey.
  • So I "finished" the penguin classics edition of Monkey today (Journey to the West). A few months ago I mentioned that I found it odd that they only met up with Pigsy at the halfway mark of the book. Then I find out that Waley's translation has taken the liberty of editing and retelling the original 100+ chapters and condensing it down to 33. I'm sure with good reason; a lot of references would probably go over my head or right through it.

Thankfully there is a longer complete translation (4 volumes) from the early 80s that is still in print, so I get to find out.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!