The B&B Book Review
  • Norse Myhthology done. Interesting read, did it’s job, I just wanted an easy to read recount of the key stories.

Of the two books I picked up at the airport, think I’ll start The Child In Time (McEwan) next.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    No spiders in it
  • McEwan getting shredded by the sci-fi community.

I thought he was friends with Banks? Surely he had a vague idea of what the genre entailed? The quotes going around are incredibly embarrassing.

I read the McEwan thing, and rolled my eyes, but in retrospect I think the issue was more the interviewer’s assertion that McEwan has “little time for conventional science fiction” than anything McEwan himself said.
    Admittedly the anti-gravity boot stuff is pretty dismissive, and he has the usual “successful author” arrogance of believing his take is the only one worth listening to, but... The suggestion he’s utterly unaware of all the times SF has explored the ideas he’s talking about is slightly undermined by him bringing up Frankenstein as a point of comparison later in the interview. (Even if he perhaps labours under the misapprehension that he is the first to invert it.)
  • Nearly finished Holy Sister by Mark Lawrence and I’m gutted it’s only 300 pages long and the completion of another great trilogy from him.
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • Bluffocracy.

An excellent short read which gives a fascinating insight into the bluffers out there, particularly in government but elsewhere also.
  • Half way through Death's End, the final book in the 3Body trilogy - I can safely say I've never read anything that's blown my mind as much as these books have. Utterly brilliant.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Kernowgaz wrote:
    Nearly finished Holy Sister by Mark Lawrence and I’m gutted it’s only 300 pages long and the completion of another great trilogy from him.

Actually it was 340 pages, what a trilogy. Mark Lawrence’s best to date.

Gonna rest the last part Peter Newman’s Vagrant trilogy, Seven next. Loved the first 2 and it’s on Kindle format so I can read anywhere and not have to carry a big hardback everywhere.
  • Gremill wrote:
    Half way through Death's End, the final book in the 3Body trilogy - I can safely say I've never read anything that's blown my mind as much as these books have. Utterly brilliant.
    Actually, I’ve got a 2 month trial of Kindle unlimited and they’re on there so will read 3 Body Problem next.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Bluffocracy. An excellent short read which gives a fascinating insight into the bluffers out there, particularly in government but elsewhere also.

Initially read that as 'Biffocracy'

Figured I'd sign up a ceefax life
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Finished Children of Time. Enjoyed it in the end.
    Spoiler:

Now I need to decide what's next. Thinking of getting a library card and just grab anything potentially interesting. Used to do that a lot as a kid.
  • Stephen King's IT. I read it in '93 and always planned to reread it but dragged my heels for 25 years. It's an absolute treat. I know it shits the bed a bit towards the end but I'm massively enjoying it again.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Nina wrote:
    Finished Children of Time. Enjoyed it in the end.
    Spoiler:
    Now I need to decide what's next. Thinking of getting a library card and just grab anything potentially interesting. Used to do that a lot as a kid.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Reading is great. It seems obvious but I went off it for the longest time. The purchase of a Kindle got me back into it which I find a bit weird.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • With new books, do any of you guys check reviews and if so, where?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

John Cooper Clarke poetry collection called The Luckiest Guy Alive

Haven't read him before. Quite brilliant.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    The Wasp Factory... Never before has a work of fiction so short, provoked me to think so much.

Awesome book.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I remember reading it at 15 and it did me over. I now look at it a little more distantly as a grand Guignol text, but I do love it.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    I remember reading it at 15 and it did me over. I now look at it a little more distantly as a grand Guignol text, but I do love it.

If by that you mean it's pulp, it most certainly is.
    But that's as fine as pulp could ever be.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Reaching Down the Rabbit Hole

Written by a US doctor and his insight into the brain arising from his experiences. He seems to have been the guy they sent people to when they didn't know what was wrong with them.

Some amusing, nutty stories but also some heart breaking ones.

He's very much into the human side of doctoring and using old fashioned investigative work by analysing people through conversation because the act of conversing is a diagnostic tool for his work.

Interesting read.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:

If by that you mean it's pulp, it most certainly is.
    But that's as fine as pulp could ever be.

Oh it's absolutely pulp, it's a big graphic mess.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Although all my Banks stuff needs to be tempered as I see it through nostalgia filters. I was lucky enough to meet him twice not long before he died and he was just the most lovely and gracious man. When he came into our school I got to have a cup of tea with him and he sat and chatted Excession, Wasp Factory, and all sorts of stuff with me for 30 mins. So I'm tilted.
  • If only he'd thought to write more"proper" fiction maybe he could have invented SciFi before McEwan
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    No but it's speculative come on tempy keep up hup hup
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Margaret Atwood puppetmaster
  • I wouldn't call The Wasp Factory pulp but I bloody loved it and it affected me a lot.
  • I need to read more Banks.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yeah. Boy
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Just finished Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor and I didn’t like it at all. I’m actually angry with myself for persevering and reading the whole damn thing through.

Oh well, onwards. Next up: the Earthsea books by Ursula Le Guin.
    Get schwifty.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    David Gray has just recommended the book I'm reading on national TV. It's not even that new out. But now everyone's gonna think I'm a fanboy when I read it in the train. FML.
  • Hide it inside a smut mag. Less embarrassing.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!