#Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I blew through Le Guin’s A Wizard of Earthsea in the last couple of days.  Wasn’t exactly what I was expecting.  Very low on dialogue and taking in large time frames in just a single chapter, and to begin with I thought that I wouldn’t be up for the next three books in the volume I have.  But yeah, really ended up enjoying it, and I can see why it’s endured.  Will be reading the others this year.  But for now I’ve started the first book in Robert Holdstock’s The Merlin Codex, Celtika, which has Merlin raising Jason and the Argo from a watery grave so that they can search for his sons who, it turns out, weren’t murdered Medea by after all.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Finished Celtika. Did not enjoy. Lazy writing, awful dialogue, dull story. Bloody shame, and not expected, as Holdstock’s Mythago Wood books are so, so good. Won’t be reading the next two, obv.

Next up a palate cleanser in the shape of Lovecraft’s The Shadow Over Innsmouth and then back to Earthsea.
    Get schwifty.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Wasn't sure what to read next, and since I ain't really familiar with Hunter S Thompson, I looked up a top 5 and decided on Hell's Angels.

Couple of chapters in and it's interesting so far. Also realized that I've read a lot of English (UK) writers lately and how much easier English (US) is to read.
  • Why is it easier?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Because they spell things fernetiklee?
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Could be that a lot of UK writers I've read have been sci fi and it's a genre thing, but I often notice myself to go back a couple sentences and re read them, while using the built in dictionary for words I don't know.

It feels that US writers use shorter sentences, so there's less chance of getting lost in an paragraph. It reads quicker, could be that paired with what cocko said. I noticed now how easy Thompson reads, and remember the same thing when I picked up The Dark Tower again last year.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Thompson has a pretty distinct punchy style though. He was a journalist and a good journalist can make pages dissolve as you read.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Could well be that. I remember when we got English at high school there was one teacher who was really set on learning us the UK spelling and pronunciation, so most of the classes were her correcting everyone that said "can't" as "kent". Maybe that stuck and part of my brain expects them to feel (and read) different.

Have you read a lot of Thompson Davy? I only know him of the Fear and Loathing movie, and one of the reason I picked Hell's Angels as first to read is because I like motorcycles, it's interesting to read about the group and it's all in California, so it kinda feels like you learn some (very specific) bits of history.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    When I was spending a lot of time in Europe (early 2000s) most folk I met spoke English with an American accent, I'd suggest that due to Hollywood it's easier to hear American voices than English ones, and this probably leads many to feel more comfortable in that world, and might well later extend to other aspects, such as reading in Nina's case
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Nina wrote:
    Have you read a lot of Thompson Davy? I only know him of the Fear and Loathing movie, and one of the reason I picked Hell's Angels as first to read is because I like motorcycles, it's interesting to read about the group and it's all in California, so it kinda feels like you learn some (very specific) bits of history.

Read Fear and Loathing - I've never watched the film version. Couldn't bring myself to. There's a scene in the book when the Sumoan is pissed and can't get off the carousel bar in Circus Circus that I found hilarious and I very much doubt it meets the grade once filmed.

I read a couple of other small pieces by him. Can't remember exactly now - has been a while. Might have been portions of the Hell's Angels piece. There's a video of him on YT being challenged by a chapter leader about how he represented them on a TV chat show.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Here it is..  It should be in the mysogyny thread on reflection...

• Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Thanks, will watch that once I've finished the book.

Will also keep an eye out for the Fear and Loathing book, I don't remember anything from the film anyway.

Did another chapter of Hell's Angels last night, it all is just so incredibly American, it's pretty amazing. There's so much of "i mostly care about me" going on that it's unreal. One of the first chapters has a scene at Thompson's flat, he has some Angels over and everyone is boozed up and drugged up. Shooting the windows out of their frames wasn't a problem for the neighbours, but when at an other time motorcycles are parked too close to their homes, cops get called. Not that they could do much, apart from asking to park in a designated spot.
  • So I’m at Gatwick in the morning and I’ll
    Have about five minutes to pick up some
    Holiday reading ... any recommendations?
    I like to think I'm a CAN DO kind of guy...
    And the number of cans I can normally do is 12.
  • The Tyrannosaur Chronicles - David Hone
    Other Minds - Peter Godfrey

Both non fiction, the latter about octopus intelligence.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Guessing that missed the 5m deadline.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • No but I’m not sure it’ll be in WHSmiths top 50
  • There will be a Reacher one, inevitably. Just get that.
  • Cool I’ll put that on the maybe list.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Aye Reacher is a good pick.

Stephen Fry's Heroes is probably there too. I enjoyed that.

EDIT: unless there's been a delay I doubt my advice was useful.
  • Sorry I’ve not made this clear I’m flying on Monday morning but I’ll only have about 5 mins to pick a book
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    There are bookshops outside of airports. I think.

But maybe not in the Isle of Man.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Pick up Lily Allen's book, it's bright yellow with her picture on the cover. Should be able to grab it within a couple of minutes after spotting and then it's only the cashier you need to deal with.

I haven't read it though, who knows if it's good.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    There are bookshops outside of airports. I think.

But maybe not in the Isle of Man.

Classic muzzy.

There’s bookshops every where unfortunate as I work on saturdays and am travelling from the Isle of Man to Gatwick on Sunday to catch a very early flight from
    Gatwick to Greece at approx 6am on Monday morning I won’t have any chance to go wandering around Notting hill
    Looking for Fucking Hugh Grants second hand book shop.

Hence my request for recommendations for airport book
    Shops in the five minutes I’ll
    Have while
    Corralling a hyper four year old and a looking for alcoholic drinks.

But thanks for
    Your valuable input
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Your
    Welcome
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Well I think I shall just take myself to see Christopher Priest this weekend in Edinburgh. Didn't know he has a new book out.
    Richard K Morgan also there....
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Sadly Morgan is the Friday night treat
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Secret Barrister.

I'd make it my business to read this if I lived in England or Wales.

I have no idea if the criminal justice system is as under pressure in N.Ireland. I have encountered the legal system here several times - jury service plus family members being involved in various happenings and I would say my experiences are positive.

Much like popular exposes by doctors, this junior barrister has a parade of horror stories, linked back in the main, to consequences of cutbacks. The stories are comprehensively backed up with statistics and is heavily referenced throughout. It is also pretty up to date - referring to statistics from 2016.

It isn't a dry as it sounds though. The sober style is punctuated with colourful language, in some cases amusingly so. But it isn't over done; it's used to get the message across effectively. It's a very human book at its core.

It is very well written and logically set out - a quality one expects from a barrister I suppose. But it is refreshing to read a piece of non fiction that doesn't dance about too much.

Recommended
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Finished Lovecraft’s The Shadow over Innsmouth.  Not bad, but certainly not one of the better ones I’ve read of his so far.  There’s quite a lot of Innsmouth in New Crobuzon, I reckon.

Also finished Le Guin’s The Tombs of Atuan (second Earthsea book).  Quite enjoyable.  A little light on actual storyline, but well written.

Also finished both Mythos and Heroes by Stephen Fry (audiobooks).  Delicious, as expected.

Have now started both Gene Wolfe’s The Shadow of the Torturer and Joe Abercrombie’s The Blade Itself, which means I’m currently alternating between torture and...well...more torture.
    Get schwifty.
  • Bit of a weird one. This book is out in August but apparently is being sold in Indie bookstores this week as part of indie book store week or some such magical thing. If anyone happens to spot it, I'll kiss you if you buy me a copy (I'll obviously pay P&P and the cost and a few quid as a thanks).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Should-Read-Childrens-Books-Though-ebook/dp/B07P12Z3GF/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1560611294&sr=8-1

I really want a copy to give to my boss as a thank you before the end of the academic year.
    x

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!