The B&B Book Review
  • I need to read the first book!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Gremill wrote:
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Anyone else on The Testaments then? This good.
    I've got it, but haven't started it yet.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    A Murder of Quality.  Another in the George Smiley series.

A rather lightweight murder mystery which would be better suited in a novella is adorned with padding that is a comment on the class/education system.

Not sure I'd recommend it unless you are intent in reading all Smiley books. Enjoyable enough.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Just finished Spinning Silver. Was good fun. Liked the change in voice and the overall plot. Enjoyable fodder.
  • Thumbs up.

Did you prefer it to Uprooted?
  • Thumbs up.

Did you prefer it to Uprooted?

Oooh, I loved Uprooted. Is this by the same author?
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Better by a large margin.
  • A Clockwork Orange, a real horrorshow read, O my brothers, though nadsat had Your Humble Badger’s gulliver going bezoomny at times it did
  • Dont take St John's Wort then read Dr Sleep.

St Jon's Wort induces lucid dreaming.

I got up to go for a wee last night and it took me a good 10 minutes to convince myself I do not have the shining.
  • You might have The Shinning
  • Started The Outsider. No, I’m not reading the same book I just read before Clockwork Orange. It’s the Stephen King book this time. Just found it on book shelf, I wonder if the wife had bought it. 

Anyway. Simple and standard so far. I wonder how long I’ll last before getting bored.
  • Reading On the Road, by Kerouac, again. Really enjoyed it first time around. A very evocative novel.
  • On my list to read
  • Tempy wrote:
    You might have The Shinning

Quiet, you wanna get sued!
  • Finished my run through all of the Joe Abercrombie First Law books, in preparation for A Little Hatred. All are brilliant, but my favourites were Best Served Cold and The Heroes, with an honourable mention to Red Country - which I really enjoyed this time around.

In the meantime, I've started The Testaments and boy is it great so far - I'm only a few chapters in and it's very compelling, particularly to a super fan of the TV show like I am. So beautifully written.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yup, The Testaments is a good'un for sure. And yeah I'm intrigued by tv show overlap/divergence (though we probably ought to spoiler any specifics).

May also hit up the new Abercrombie. Not read this first law short stories but the new one is the start of a new trilogy right? Is it in the same world as the other two trilogies (which I have read)? any character overlap??
  • Yeah, start of a new trilogy - in the same world but I think about 20-30ish years after the end of the original books as an industrial revolution kicks in and the children of some of the old characters take centre stage.
  • Facewon wrote:
    Finished trigger warnings. Fantastic.

On to "A rightful place"

Its a series of essays released to coincide with the Uluru statement from the heart.

(statement now spoilered because it's longer than I thought in this format.)
    Spoiler:

Its fascinating and frustrating. (still no treaty and still no constitutional recog or voice to parliament as recommended.)

Noel Pearson writes the first essay, and he's an exceptional writer and thinker.

Some of his insights have been setting off light bulbs, and (the good side of his being a lawyer) some if his clarifications and distinctions of words we can take to be pajoritive to easily (conservative) are awesome.

His discussion of the history wars is so on point too.

Finished this. Twas great. Half a dozen great essays covering all aspects.

On to Marx and Marxism by Gregory Claeys.

Its informative AF, but Woah, it's on the dry side.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Three quarters of the way through The Testaments and it is astonishing. I can't remember the last time a book had me so enthralled, so on edge, so invested. It's so beautifully written too, every page hadls something on it that gives me goosebumps.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I finished Galilee by Clive Barker today.  One of the most boring books I’ve ever read.  It’s hard to believe it came from the same mind that came up with Weaveworld, The Great and Secret Show and Imajica.  And it was so damn looong.  Had a much better time in the twenty minutes it took to read Charlotte Perkins Gilman’s The Yellow Wallpaper tonight.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    From one mad yellow to another.  Started Robert Chambers The King in Yellow today.  Two stories down and it’s very good so far.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel wrote:
    From one mad yellow to another.  Started Robert Chambers The King in Yellow today.  Two stories down and it’s very good so far.
    Read that recently.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Finished the 3rd Jack Reacher novel. Tripwire

Dependable stuff this. I've enjoyed this series so far.

This sees Reacher more as a detective than a strongarm. Also dips into his history more. Seems to be a transitional book for the character.

Good stuff. So easy to read and an interesting bad guy. Felt a bit more "filmic / movie-esque" but that is no bad thing.

The books so far have covered different skill sets (prev book about marksmanship) and it is filling the Reacher character out nicely. I can see why there are 22 of these things as each so far has felt sufficiently different.

I'll keep going with the series which is a rare thing for me. I'm reading them in sequence but I'm leaving a gap between them so they don't merge into one.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I read one of those once, having heard the description of him on the book I was amazed that anyone thought they could cast Tom Cruise in that role. Javier Bardem as the blonde kidney squeezing guy makes complete sense though
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Anyone doing some seasonal reading in the run up to Halloween? For me it’s three from Ray Bradbury. Started The Halloween Tree last night, which is something light and fun. Next up will be the short story collection The October Country, and then finally I’ve treated myself to The Folio Society’s lovely edition of Something Wicked This Way Comes to round things off.
    Get schwifty.
  • davyK wrote:
    Finished the 3rd Jack Reacher novel. Tripwire Dependable stuff this. I've enjoyed this series so far. This sees Reacher more as a detective than a strongarm. Also dips into his history more. Seems to be a transitional book for the character. Good stuff. So easy to read and an interesting bad guy. Felt a bit more "filmic / movie-esque" but that is no bad thing. The books so far have covered different skill sets (prev book about marksmanship) and it is filling the Reacher character out nicely. I can see why there are 22 of these things as each so far has felt sufficiently different. I'll keep going with the series which is a rare thing for me. I'm reading them in sequence but I'm leaving a gap between them so they don't merge into one.
    Oooh, I've just finished working on the latest Reacher hardback, Blue Moon, and it's sitting on my desk. 
    I was going to read it but wasn't sure book 23 (?) was a good place to start or not. 
    The synopsis struck me as a bit violent A-Team meets The Littlest Hobo.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • New Pullman came out yesterday. I shall be getting on that ASAP. The last book was top tier.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • I’m about to finish The Outsider by Stephen King.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!