The B&B Book Review
  • Do Androids... is bloody great. So far. Didn’t realise the film was soooooooooooo different!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Aye it's good, and yeah intriguing in comparison
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Any books people have struggled with over the years?

Naked Lunch was one. The Spin Doctor's Diary was another (about a colleague of Alistair Campbell. What a brick of shit that was). 

About a million years ago, I read a collection of short stories from Stephen King, the first of which was to become the Shawshank Redemption (which I think was called I Love Lucy, or something... The name of the pinup in the poster he stuck on the wall to cover the hole), but dropped the book after that first story, which feels a bit stupid now).

I'm sure I've dropped much more than that... I can't remember how Jennifer Yellowhat ended...

I like to think that I won't pick up a book, unless I'm sure I'll like it.

My real problem is in buying books that I probably have no time for. It's not the worse habit, but I'm building a pile of shame.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Started Handmaid's Tale, Jesus fuck is it depressing.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Oh yes... We Need to Talk about Kevin.
    Highly rated. Fascinating premise.

Was looking so forward to it.

It was written in English, but to me, it was in no way legible... The language was a turgid knot of shite. Took like, a fucking chapter to describe the heating system in her flat. 2 chapters to describe an encounter with an acquaintance at the supermarket*...

But for some inexplicable reason, only 2 lines in 60 pages were used to describe what the fuck was actually happening, and what the story might actually be about, before I thought fuck it...

I have no problem with flowery language. In fact, I relish it, and love classics.
    The style exhibited in that book was not 'classic'.

That was something else.

In this case, I'll just try to find time for the film.

*I'm being a dick of course, but that was largely how it felt to me.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • V for me as well.

On the fiction side I tend to not deal with books that I struggle with, there's probably been others, but I bounce off them without worrying too much.

Think I ditched heart of darkness, I know I ditched moby dick.

I did plough through Les mis over like 2 years.

There's been plenty of non-fiction I've struggled with.

Managed to drag my way through a Shelby Spong once, but only managed 60 pages, if that, of Thomas Sowell.

I still have both volumes of parfitt's on what matters. Which is, I believe, a pretty dense philosophy jobby and I don't know when my mind will be clear enough to try and tackle it.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Picked up a copy of The Making of the Atomic Bomb. Far easier to read than its sequel, Dark Sun. I've put that back on the shelf and will carry on with Atomic Bomb. 

I suspect after reading it Dark Sun will be easier going.

I own the first four volumes of The Art of Computer Programming by Knuth. I got it because it is considered a classic - but it is no algorithmic cook book (which is kind of what I was hoping for). Very mathematical. It's more about algorithmic analysis re efficiency than anything else. I suspect a great many owners of it are in the same boat as I am as they are more practitioner than theorist. But I firmly believe it will be worth the effort as it tackles many classic problems the solutions of which are pretty fundamental to most real world computing applications.

It is still a work in progress - only 4 vols in print at the minute (they were originally to be chapters in one book!). Not sure if Knuth will live long enough to finish it.

I've had several false starts but even Knuth says to skim over the maths at least as a 1st pass, if it's too heavy going. I will get back to it at some point.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Im currently halfway* through The Star Diaries by Stanislaw Lem, and even including Adams' HHGTTG, I have never laughed at a book in the first* chapter before, let alone sci-fi which is typically dry when it comes to my choices.

Tonally, it reminds me of something between Ren and Stimpy's Masters of Time and Space (a one off comic book I think) and Marvin the Martian era pulp, so perhaps it was something of an inspiration for those. It's really much better of course.

* But who's counting (non-heretically).
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Lem is a proper genius
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Have only read Solaris by Lem. Enjoyed it. Was lured there by the films. I actually enjoyed both - the Clooney version is under rated.

Must read more.
  • It’s been probably 30 years since I read them but I enjoyed them at the time
    The Forum Herald™
  • Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep was brilliant. Very different to Blade Runner so I’m not gonna compare, I mean I love the film but it just tackles themes differently. And I’m glad for it really. Very difficult to get a lot of it through visually. Will read more Dick at some point, maybe A Scanner Darkly next from his output. 

Think I’ll take a wee break from sci-fi. Starting Jack Kerouac’s On The Road.
  • davyK wrote:
    Have only read Solaris by Lem. Enjoyed it. Was lured there by the films. I actually enjoyed both - the Clooney version is under rated. Must read more.

Haven’t seen Soderbergh’s Solaris, but will give it a crack at some point. Tarkovsky’s version was just brilliant.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Have only read Solaris by Lem. Enjoyed it. Was lured there by the films. I actually enjoyed both - the Clooney version is under rated. Must read more.
    Haven’t seen Soderbergh’s Solaris, but will give it a crack at some point. Tarkovsky’s version was just brilliant.

It's a lot shorter and feels a bit faster (what wouldn't?) and isn't as much of a mind fuck. It got a lot of criticism but I really liked it despite not expecting to.  Much of criticism seemed to be coming from the fact that it wasn't really a Hollywood sci fi flick. ie. was deemed boring.

It's what made me change my mind about Clooney. Natascha McElhone plays her part really well too. She is also stunningly beautiful in it - caused me to take a little gasp a few times.  It's more about husband and wife and dispenses with the father son thing which makes the original better (among other things). Well worth a watch though.
  • Ive only seen the Soderbergh version with Clooney. It was enjoyable and probably I was helped by having read Nemesis (Asimov) first, which had a similar concept.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • It's not a movie if Davy doesn't audiably sigh at a hot lady!

The most interesting thing about Lem is how slapstick and dumb his sci-fi stuff usually is compared to Solaris - they're generally thought experiments with hyper advanced beings rather than anything concerned with a realistic Novum. From wiki, on The Cyberiad
    Trurl and Klapaucius are brilliant (robotic) engineers, called "constructors" (because they can construct practically anything at will), capable of almost God-like exploits. For instance, on one occasion Trurl creates an entity capable of extracting accurate information from the random motion of gas particles, which he calls a "Demon of the Second Kind". He describes the "Demon of the First Kind" as a Maxwell's demon. On another, the two constructors re-arrange stars near their home planet in order to advertise.

The duo are best friends and rivals. When they are not busy constructing revolutionary mechanisms at home, they travel the universe, aiding those in need. As the characters are firmly established as good and righteous, they take no shame in accepting handsome rewards for their services. If rewards were promised and not delivered, the constructors may even severely punish those who deceived them.
  • Quite a few people have told me this is good, and it’s on the 99p Kindle deal today. I’m going in.

This is How you Lose the Time War
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    You owe me a pound if it sucks, poppo
  • I’m still in the middle of three other books, you’ll probably finish it before me.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Finished Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell last night.  It’s a bit of a doorstop, but what a great read.  Clarke writes beautifully and with genuine wit and intelligence.  It’s a shame she’s not a little more prolific.  Somehow managed to not catch the series adaptation of a few years ago, so will be treating myself to the blu-ray to watch over Christmas.

Reading material for the festive season will be a mix of more Lovecraft (started At the Mountains of Madness last night) and some Grimm’s Fairy Tales (read The Golden Bird this morning).
    Get schwifty.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Listening to a reading of A Christmas Carol by Tom Baker.

So enjoyable.

I'm eeking it out over several nights. There's 3 hrs of it.

It's BBC CD recording but I'm pretty sure it's on YT.

It's a word for word reading and the original text does have some tough sections due to the vernacular of its time but Baker skips through it with ease.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Not reading your Folio edition this year then?
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel wrote:
    Finished Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell last night.  It’s a bit of a doorstop, but what a great read.  Clarke writes beautifully and with genuine wit and intelligence.  It’s a shame she’s not a little more prolific.  Somehow managed to not catch the series adaptation of a few years ago, so will be treating myself to the blu-ray to watch over Christmas.

Reading material for the festive season will be a mix of more Lovecraft (started At the Mountains of Madness last night) and some Grimm’s Fairy Tales (read The Golden Bird this morning).

I really enjoyed that series, made me wish I’d read the book first.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Kel Kade - Free the Darkness Kings

Listened as an audio book. Loved it. Reminded me of Sekiro videogame. This could easily be a tv show or a videogame in its own right. So very very good. Looking forward to book 2.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Raiziel wrote:

You know, I will. :)

Perhaps I should have read along with Lord Baker.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Also finished Wolves of the Calla last night. It was quite boring. I will finish the series this time around, but it’s proving to be a bit of a trudge.
    Get schwifty.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It isn't for you @Raiziel. Not sure I'd recommend anyone finishing the series being this far on and still finding it  trudge.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    But I must reach the Dark Tower!
    Get schwifty.
  • Read The Wind Through the Keyhole instead.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Raiziel wrote:

You know, I will. :)

Perhaps I should have read along with Lord Baker.

K6sLpzo.jpg

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!