The B&B Book Review
  • The Sailor who fell from favour with the sea.

Yeah. Enjoyed this, though had to persevere at times, despite its short length. Story of the author (Mishima) possibly more interesting than the book itself, though.
  • The Dungeons and Dragons Art & Arcana book is bloody brilliant. Easily the worth the entry fee.

Anyone with a passing interest in the game would do well to pick it up as a coffee table browser.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I finished The Dark Tower last week.  This one wasn’t for me.  Way too long for it’s own good and some majorly disappointing character wrap-ups (the man in black, I’m looking at you...I mean fucking hell that was bad).  Also felt like I was being prodded to read some of King’s other books, namely Insomnia and Hearts in Atlantis, which ain’t happening.  Then there’s the inclusion of King himself in the narrative; that was just a little too self indulgent for my liking.  Also, it just felt tacky.  Then there’s that ending...  I actually liked it better than I was expecting to.  It could have been better, but by god it could have been a hell of a lot worse.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I just finished Issac Asimov’s Foundation.  Wow...I fucking hated it.  Cool, I thought, a vast, galaxy-spanning civilisation on the brink of collapse.  Sounds epic.  What I got was men in rooms, talking.  A lot.  And that’s another thing: it was only ever men in rooms, talking.  I mean I know it’s a thing of its time, but didn’t Asimov at least figure the opposite sex might at least have some small role in his vast and all encompassing future?  But lo, a woman finally shows up in the final quarter of the whole story, and then it’s as a whinging harridan, there for no other reason than to hen peck her moar important husband.  Shit book.  Fuck off, Asimov.
    Get schwifty.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    The Dark Tower ending has to be one of King's best, a low bar I know.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    The ending was decent, which was welcome surprise.  A shame so much of the journey was dull as ditch water.  I obviously enjoyed it a lot more back when I first read it, otherwise I wouldn’t have gone back to it.  It’s probably better to leave the treasured memories of books you read in your youth exactly where they are.
    Get schwifty.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Raiziel wrote:
    I just finished Issac Asimov’s Foundation.  Wow...I fucking hated it.  Cool, I thought, a vast, galaxy-spanning civilisation on the brink of collapse.  Sounds epic.  What I got was men in rooms, talking.  A lot.  And that’s another thing: it was only ever men in rooms, talking.  I mean I know it’s a thing of its time, but didn’t Asimov at least figure the opposite sex might at least have some small role in his vast and all encompassing future?  But lo, a woman finally shows up in the final quarter of the whole story, and then it’s as a whinging harridan, there for no other reason than to hen peck her moar important husband.  Shit book.  Fuck off, Asimov.
    Mate some of its ideas are amazing, the way it spans generations is amazing, it plus the next couple are top tier for me.  I'm not gonna defend a lack of women in it (vaguely recall one, but it's been a while since I last read it), but the idea of pyschohistory etc. is great IMO.

So while I admire your opinion, your are wrong.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Even the idea of psychohistory is nonsense.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Foundation made me angry, which is rare.

I also finished Alfred Bester’s The Stars My Destination recently, which was written before Foundation and was a good bit more progressive and a heck of a lot more interesting.

Also finished The Willows by Algernon Blackwood, which is a classic bit of cosmic horror.  Very Lovecraftian.
    Get schwifty.
  • This month (it's still March right?) I have been mostly reading the Murderbot series of novella's by Martha Wells. The first is pretty short so it was a shot to nothing if it wasn't great, but I'm right into them now and nearly finished the third. There are four in total, and a full length novel on the way next month, but the short form of the stories has worked well for me so far. They're filling a sentient-bot gap in my reading left by (M.)Banks' departure.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Raiziel's opinion of Foundation makes me angry, which is rare
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I’m very happy to disagree with you, muz.  Sorry, in a way, but happy.
    Get schwifty.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    We need a third opinion who agrees with me
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Seldon probably knows how this particular debate should pan out.
    Get schwifty.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Sorry I'm with elf

F U Muzz
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Elf wins.  Dayum.  Can’t imagine elf (nor Seldon) saw that coming.
    Get schwifty.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Fuckin Elf
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    We should probably let him know.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel wrote:
    Foundation made me angry, which is rare.

I also finished Alfred Bester’s The Stars My Destination recently, which was written before Foundation and was a good bit more progressive and a heck of a lot more interesting.

Also finished The Willows by Algernon Blackwood, which is a classic bit of cosmic horror.  Very Lovecraftian.

The Stars My Destination is amazing - so far ahead off its time.

I've been working my way through the Rosewater trilogy, by Tade Thomson. Great books and really refreshing to read sci-fi from a different cultural perspective than white Western dude saves the world.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Raiziel wrote:
    Elf wins.  Dayum.  Can’t imagine elf (nor Seldon) saw that coming.

Cockbeard is (major foundation series spoiler)
    Spoiler:
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Ooh rosewater is 99p today. In.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    And another thing about Foundation.  Worst.  Ending.  Ever.

Okay, I’m done now.

What to read next?  I was going to read The Terror by Dan Simmons, but that feels like a winter read.  Right, just had a quick look at my Kindle.  The Ten Thousand Doors of January or The Priory of the Orange Tree.  Someone pick one.
    Get schwifty.
  • Is there a book club thread here? There should be, especially with all the free time at the moment.
  • Ten Thousand Doors.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    .. when all you need is a window, isn;t it iron...
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Ten Thousand Doors.

Excellent.  Have you read it?
    Get schwifty.
  • Not yet. Author was just nominated for a Hugo for it, however, and is the youngest woman to be nominated for the award, so it is held in quite high regard.

• Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Solid choice then.  Will report back.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Is there a book club thread here? There should be, especially with all the free time at the moment.

As for this, perhaps, but this wouldn’t work for me.  I have very particular tastes, so much of what might come up wouldn’t be for me.  Good idea, though.  Would be nice to join in occasionally.
    Get schwifty.
  • I'm tempted to pick up Gideon the Ninth, which was also nominated. Sounds bonkers.

Given Uncle's post above though, I'd be up for doing Thousand Doors as a first pick in a B&B book club...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!