#Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Film’s out soon, too.  4th September, I think.
    Get schwifty.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Went from V to Naked Lunch which is one of the most fucked up pieces of writing I've come across. Its purpose just seems to be to put a series of bizarre images into your head.

It certainly isn't an advert for the drug lifestyle either if that's what Burroughs' memories are of it. Fuck that shit.

Not in the mood. 

I want a nice page turner to read - on the back burner for a while. Has been a while since I read a Jack Reacher....
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • @davyK - after your Churchill reading session, you might be interested in The Splendid and the Vile by Erik Larsen, he of The Devil in the White City fame. £1.99 on Kindle until Monday.
    [url] https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07XKWRS7J/ref=tmm_kin_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1598681522&sr=8-1[/url]
  • Raiziel wrote:
    Film’s out soon, too.  4th September, I think.

There’s a big old trailer up on Netflix which looks sweet and the reviews are dropping everywhere too. Positive response so far.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Stopharage wrote:
    @davyK - after your Churchill reading session, you might be interested in The Splendid and the Vile by Erik Larsen, he of The Devil in the White City fame. £1.99 on Kindle until Monday. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07XKWRS7J/ref=tmm_kin_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1598681522&sr=8-1

Cheers - I have still to go back and start on Vol.3 but will check that out. Always worth getting Kindle deals while they're hot.

Still to finish the Chernobyl book and I have a few non fiction works waiting in reserve on The Crusades, the Manhattan Project and Suez. All mighty tomes too. :)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Finished Chernobyl at long last. Interesting coverage of the post disaster politic and how the public's reaction to it aligned with, and no doubt contributed to other forces that brought the Soviet Union to an end.

Reread Primo Levi this week as I had picked up Folio editions of If This is a Man and The Truce - an Italian Jew's memoirs of capture during WW2 as a partisan group, imprisonment and survival of a year in Auschwitz before liberation by the Russians, and his epic rambling journey home.  Affected my dreams this week.

Started Suez:Britain's End of Empire by Keith Kyle. Early couple of chapters are setting the scene and the mischief of the post WW2 antics of Israel's land grab and the response of Egypt, Britain, the US and France. How many seeds of disruption and death were sown in those few years. :(  It's written in a very accessible way so far which is pleasing as this is another doorstep sized work - looking forward to this one.

For some reason , Folio have produced an illustrated version of The Godfather. It's an awful book. Real pulp. The film is vastly superior to it. This has dented Folio's reputation in my eyes I'm afraid - this is a money grab. I suppose I can't blame them in these times.

Delving into T.S. Eliot and Seamus Heaney at bedtime. Nice way to end a day having the weird images and feelings prompted by their prose in my head.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Reading From Russia with Blood now, only one actual chapter in (there's a prologue thing first).

It's weird as it's written in a way that feels like a popular crime novel or something, but supposedly it's all true! Easy to read so far.

• Nina wrote:
    Reading From Russia with Blood now, only one actual chapter in (there's a prologue thing first).

It's weird as it's written in a way that feels like a popular crime novel or something, but supposedly it's all true! Easy to read so far.

It should have been Pulitzer winning. It takes a complex group of people with complex issues and turns into a narrative that even a dumb dumb like me can understand.
  • Anyone read the new Abercrombie? Got it today and starting to read it tomorrow. Bloody loved A Little Hatred so I cannot wait.

Also read A Head Full of Ghosts this week. It lagged in the middle but the beginning and ending was excellent. It was very cliched but managed to be just the right amount of self aware to get away with it.

I’ve also been slowly working through the Horus Heresy series and recently read The First Heretic. It was an excellent book but the series is a hell of a mission to work through - especially as someone who is new to the Warhammer universe. I do really love the slightly over the top sci fi horror ness of it all.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I read A Head Full of Ghosts last year.  Enjoyed it.  Tremblay writes children very well.
    Get schwifty.
  • Anyone read the new Abercrombie? Got it today and starting to read it tomorrow. Bloody loved A Little Hatred so I cannot wait.

I’m currently on Best Served Cold as suggested by Grem. Thoroughly enjoying it too.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Just finished The Trouble With Peace...

Bloody...hell. Abercrombie is just another level at the moment. It felt slightly meandering at the start, just following the main characters and not massively going anywhere. It was always engaging though as the characters are just utterly superb, each one is flawed, unique and immensely enjoyable to read.

And then, everything comes together. The meandering start makes sense and draws together into a momentous few moments, ultimately ending with one the finest final 100 pages I have ever read.

Exceptional stuff. Cannot wait for the next book.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Raiziel wrote:
    I read A Head Full of Ghosts last year.  Enjoyed it.  Tremblay writes children very well.

The spaghetti sequence in that is one of the most horrifying things I have ever read
  • I’m about 2/5 of the way through Dune. Good so far.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    When I put down Before the Coffee gets cold I picked up The Gone-Away World by Nick Harkaway, and it proved to be everything that Coffee wasn’t.  Really smart prose (I mean sometimes it just feels like he’s showing off, it’s that good) and profoundly imaginative (a new type of bomb that removes its target from existence creates an unexpected byproduct—nicknamed Disney dust—that, when it comes into contact with human consciousness, makes real whatever a person might be thinking of), this was a really great read.  I heartily recommend it.

After that I read Coldheart Canyon by Clive Barker, which was basically 750 long-ass pages of garbage.  How the mighty have fallen.  He used to be amazing.  Do not recommend.

Halloween reads so far have been a collection of ghost stories by M. R. James (good, but very archaic) and Others by James Herbert (ehhhhh...nothing special).

Also jonesing for some Tolkien recently, so have started reading my lovely Folio edition of The Silmarillion.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Oh, and I’m also reading A Night in the Lonesome October by Roger Zelazny; reading only one chapter a night as each chapter takes place during a night in October.  Main character is Jack the Rippers dog and I have no idea what’s going on in it.
    Get schwifty.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    You get through a lot of books
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I don’t do too badly.  Average is one a week, depending on the length.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Forgot I also read The Case of Charles Dexter Ward by Lovecraft, the largest of his stories I’ve yet read, which comfortably takes me over the halfway point of Lovecraft’s entire oeuvre.  I didn’t really like this one much.  I feel like Lovecraft’s style works better with shorter stories.
    Get schwifty.

God fucking damn! I totally forgot this was out.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Nina wrote:
    Reading From Russia with Blood now, only one actual chapter in (there's a prologue thing first). It's weird as it's written in a way that feels like a popular crime novel or something, but supposedly it's all true! Easy to read so far.
    It should have been Pulitzer winning. It takes a complex group of people with complex issues and turns into a narrative that even a dumb dumb like me can understand.
    I'm almost at the end of this, it hasn't kept the style of the exciting intro chapter, but it's still all very readable, like you said. Although I should probably look up what oligarch means by now.

Kinda wish I could give this to my dad after reading, I remember how upset he was after the Litvinenko poisoning came on the news. It's something that has always stayed with me just of the way he reacted to it.
  • Just finished The Trouble With Peace...

Bloody...hell. Abercrombie is just another level at the moment. It felt slightly meandering at the start, just following the main characters and not massively going anywhere. It was always engaging though as the characters are just utterly superb, each one is flawed, unique and immensely enjoyable to read.

And then, everything comes together. The meandering start makes sense and draws together into a momentous few moments, ultimately ending with one the finest final 100 pages I have ever read.

Exceptional stuff. Cannot wait for the next book.

Just finished it myself. Utterly amazing from start to end. Had no idea who I was rooting for most of the time - every character is brilliantly flawed and superbly written.
  • Reading 'The Living Dead', which was started by George A Romeo 30 odd years ago, but never finished. Apparently a novel built to contain all of his ideas about the genre he created, but which would never be funded by any sane studio, it was finished by writer and superfan Daniel Kraus with the support and blessing of the Romero estate.

Is it any good? As a superfan myself, I can't be relied upon to be anything but completely biased - but by fuck am I enjoying it. Horrifically gory, laden with social commentary (which to be honest it's as subtle as Romero's films were) and chock full of incredible set pieces that would have been mind blowing on film - it's two severed twitching thumbs up from me.
  • I finally read The Long Walk. I thought it was pretty darn great. Like it's just teens walking and he makes it compelling. I don't know if it was just me but it felt like I could feel the steps as I read.
    Seems the guy who made Autopsy of Jane Doe/Troll Hunter/Scary Stories is going to make a movie. I don't know if he has the talent to pull something like this off. I actually thought something made like Son of Saul with it up close and intimate would work to make it get under your skin.

Also,
    Spoiler:
  • I finally read The Long Walk. I thought it was pretty darn great. Like it's just teens walking and he makes it compelling. I don't know if it was just me but it felt like I could feel the steps as I read.
    Seems the guy who made Autopsy of Jane Doe/Troll Hunter/Scary Stories is going to make a movie. I don't know if he has the talent to pull something like this off. I actually thought something made like Son of Saul with it up close and intimate would work to make it get under your skin.

Also,
    Spoiler:

The Stephen King novella? That's one of my all time favourites.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I sold a rare game controller last month (it was a pad for the failed Nuon DVD player that hosted Tempest 3000). Sold it on eBay , sealed, for £200 + p&p.

So instead of it draining away or buying games I decided to pony up for some Folio love.

Editions of Lord of the Rings and Dune arriving today. Haven't actually read Dune before.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Tasty. Dune looks bendy in this pic - it isn't!!! :)

xr3jF9n.jpg
  • Nice. I was gonna re-read Dune after seeing the film, but I might have to change that plan now.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Nice one, davy.  I’m reading the Folio edition of The Silmarillion at the moment.
    Get schwifty.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!