You and your character type
‹ Previous12
  • In lots of games, you get to choose a type of character to play as, such as Melee, Ranged Weapons, Magic, Speedy, Medic, Stealth...the list of different names and cross-overs goes on and on.  Anyway, I was just wondering, do you always gravitate towards the same type?  Or do you deliberately pick a different type each time?  make a point of replaying a game to try the different types?  or even just target a specific type for each game, based on feedback from others, in order to have the 'best' option for that game?

Personally, and i don't really want to think too much about what it says about me, but I will always opt for the 'Melee' type option.  give me a hulking brute in a loin cloth and a big sharp/heavy object to hit things with and i'm happy.  good looking, lythe and sneaky? no ta.  mysterious, well dressed and sneezes fireballs? not for me.  collect flowers and make potions? no chance.  real (imaginary videogame) men stand toe to toe and brawl to the death (which is invariably quite soon when i'm playing!).

so, what's your type?
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Rush down, agression, high risk high reward.

Ken in Street Fighter.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I generally go for Soldier, or equivalent. Can't stand hanging back in a fight, love to get into the heart of the battle.

Take Blands 2 for example (BLANDS 2!). Axton, got a turret with rockets. I see a group of about 12 spawn. Deploy turret so it takes the heat, fire off 4 grenades in separate directions, then pick my targets, crit damage ahoy, badda-bing utter carnage as I stand there, turret still patrolling, loot and death everywhere.

Its wonderful fun.
  • I generally play as the tank. I'm pretty rubbish at organising spells/powers and hopeless at sniping, I just pick the weapon with the biggest damage stat and run with it.
    Although if there appearance options I always play as "Monique Fierce Shaniqwa". A black independent woman who don't take no shit from no man. I then make decisions based on what she would do, made Fallout pretty interesting.
  • "Slow Coward", whichever notional class is picked.
  • Dark stealth assassin ninja magician type guy. Kill people without them even knowing they've been killed and leave no trace.
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    Yeah; I generally go for cowering as far from the actual conflict as possible with a great big fuck-off sniper rifle (in games that include such things); when the baddies catch up I get all stabby.
    XBL, iOS, Steam: metagonzo
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Would have a soft spot for the behemoth type character though they tend to need a high skill level or be a part of a co-op setup.

Tendency is to go for default - though I now have a leaning toward the girls.

Ryu in streetfighter, because I know the moves, Toad in Mario Kart because he is usually a good speedy pick and because he has a mushroom head.

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I'm not really one for blocking or dodging in games so whichever has the highest natural resistance to injury is usually what I go for.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Sniper.  I don't mix well with others and prefer solitude and a massive gun.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • long shot. Sniper, cannon, catapault, rockets (advance wars)
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • As long as accuracy is rewarded I'll choose that option.
    XBOX: Kurt Russel
    PS3: Air_Hair_Lair
  • I plan, practice. Level up, get the best equipment then go in and dominate.
    Always be prepared. I'm a farmer and a grinder and always go for the advantage.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • I'll tend to go for the default, jack-of-all-trades where possible.  I prefer might over magic, but I'd rather go for faster, less powerful characters than slow, powerful ones.  In shooty shooty games I fancy myself as a bit of a sniper, but I'm not very good at it.
  • In MMOs I tend to go for melee classes. In Mass effect I go for the soldier class. I generally tend to lean toward anything that can be considered to be a warrior unless I'm playing a shooter, at which point I try and stay as far away as possible.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • I always like to go magic type characters. I usually regret it.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • I absolutely loved playing a tank in WoW. Mostly because it makes you the centre of attention and the group's lynchpin. 

I think it's a challenge thing for me.  Multiplayer always brings out my love of playing a support character. Tanks, medics, snipers if they're interesting enough in a dynamic like in Battlefield where the spotter mechanic  really made you feel like a scout and the eyes of the team. 

Solo it's a completely different game. I always go for something with a high risk / reward loop behind it like a high damage / low defence type. Different challenge but I'm not big on the middle route.
  • For me its usually a sniper/ninja type. Im good at hanging back picking off foes  and generally supporting the troops, this really came to the fore in ME3 multiplayer. It kind of depends on the game style though. In Halo3 online though i usually go for more in close combat.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I like to play as I would act irl so I prefer to assess the situation and then decide from there the best plan of attack. This invariably means it doesn't matter which character I pick as I always play this way regardless of whether I'm controlling some hulking brute or a delicate little flower!
  • Moto70 wrote:
    I like to play as I would act

Berserker surely ;)
  • Lol.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • The woman, always the woman.

Generally as a glass cannon, high output, low defence.
  • Tempy wrote:
    The woman, always the woman.

This.

I'll avoid snipes like the plague. I just can't use them. Generally I'll pick the up close kind of class.

In Final Fantasy, my fav is Warrior/Monk, followed by Monk/Warrior. The former allows me to tank, generally much more effectively than any ninja, so I often start as a damage dealer, and end up tanking. Like Dan, I enjoy it as you're the lynchpin and I'm very good at it. The latter allows me to be a pure DD, which is awesome. Others might be using pansy magic - I'm just punching things in the face.
  • I tend to stick with the soldier type class in most games. Something where I can easily upgrade health (always a priority) and then truely get stuck into the fights.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I tend to go middle of the road, someone who is a bit of an all-rounder and lets me choose my own approach according to the situation.

In first person shooters, I love sniping in campaign where I can take my time and line up my shots as enemies run around in fixed patterns waiting for me to kill them, but I find this doesn't work out so well for me in MP. In Halo Reach objective games, I do quite like defending the objective with a shotty or sword and Active Camo, I'm fairly rubbish at Halo but I do have almost endless supplies of patience, so this allows me to make a solid contribution to the team.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Hot skinny female, always. Mobility is paramount. Defence not so much. I hate 'gadget' characters - "stop playing with those toys and get stuck in!".
  • For SF games like the Borderlands and Mass Effect series I'll generally go for a soldier type, able to use a mixture of weapons and tactics depending on the situation. Snipe from long range, concentrated AR burst fire and thrown grenades from cover at mid distance, and shotgun / SMG brutality up close. Prob'ly one of the reasons I love Halo so much.

For fantasy stuff I'll try everything and go with what I enjoy playing the most depending on the game. A long range sniper with magic backup in Fable II, fast striking swordsman in Amalur, mage in Oblivion, sneaky archer in Skyrim.
  • mk64 wrote:
    long shot. Sniper, cannon, catapault, rockets (advance wars)

Me too. Also, if hot female is an option I'll go for that. Sophitia for example.
  • I was always Valkyrie or Elf, never Wizard or Barbarian.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Very close, shotgun, smg type. I like none of that magic pish, so I tend to go for armour and swords. I'm also always a female character. Except when it's Street Fighter and I'm Ken.
‹ Previous12

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!