Dark Souls
  • I should probably take back perfection, I just remembered the framerates in Blighty.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    IT SIMULATES THE NAUSEOUS VAPOURS
  • Ringed City is great. Crushing my virtual body and real soul at every oppurtunity. Proper Dark Souls. Found Lapp chilling, killed a knight with a ridiculously big chopper after a few tries. There has to be a bonfire or a shortcut around here somewhere, right? RIGHT? You cannot seriously expect me to go into that swamp after fighting through all this other shit. Can you Dark Souls? Can you?
  • So there was a bonfire :)
    Ringed city done apart from darkeater midr.

What a game.
  • Here's the podcast I did with the development manager of the Dark Souls Boardgame.

http://werenotwizards.podbean.com/e/dcdarksouls/

In case it was missed, cross posted from the podcast thread.

They will be launching the Resident evil 2 boardgame this month on kickstarter.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Feb 28th 2018. Demon Souls servers will be switched off permanently. Like me if you've never played that particular entry, you better get on it before then or after Feb 28th, you will be playing it solo I.e. Offline.

• Bollocks. 

Gonna get back to it like a motherfucker.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Thanks for heads up.
  • About time they did a HD re-release on current gen though.
  • It is now my sole (punlolololol) mission to just play Demons. Fuck anything else.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Feb 28th 2018. Demon Souls servers will be switched off permanently. Like me if you've never played that particular entry, you better get on it before then or after Feb 28th, you will be playing it solo I.e. Offline.

Shame. I played through it again a couple of months ago - it still has a really good population.
  • I’d love to play through this but I packed away my PS3 and I don’t plan on setting it up again.
    Would love a HD rerelease on current gen hardware
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Gonna be a Switch exclusive, heard it here first lads
  • Gonna be a Switch exclusive, heard it here first lads
    If only that were true.
    If Switch had ports of Demons and Dark Souls id sell a kidney and buy the console in a heartbeat
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    About time they did a HD re-release on current gen though.
    Surely it already was HD? But yeah, a re-release would be great. Surprised it hasn't happened seeing how much the rest of the series has been milked.
  • It’s 720p I think so not real HD. :)
  • I’ve seen Dark Souls and Bloodborne fans go back and struggle when playing Demon’s for the first time. They want to dodge and be all Dex build Katana Leet, and wanna read item descriptions for lore. They often don’t get that the game is much slower and is generally played more conservatively, and that the more (as it is) comes from the environment design and npcs (many of whom can be missed without playing with World Tendency).

There’s also quite a few who bitch that the bosses are too easy. Which they are if you are a Souls veteran - a lot of the bosses are slow and exploitable because that’s was the game was. The games became increasingly about multi-stage dodge fests so going back to Demons can make bosses feel like a cake walk.

I think a lot of first timers would be disappointed with Demons if they tried it for the first time now, even though it’s my fave.
  • It was the first one I played. Didn’t seem too hard at the time, but I never finished cos Pile of Shame retardedness on my part. I mentioned it in the Gaming Regrets thread that not sticking with Demons and taking so long on Dark are my biggest gaming regrets.
  • Parts of Demons can be fucking nails. Depends on the weapon you're using.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I never got all the World Tendency stuff?  How will that be affected by the servers being turned off?  Hopefully all still doable - maybe I'll dive back in to try to get the bits I've missed...
  • There’s also quite a few who bitch that the bosses are too easy. Which they are if you are a Souls veteran - a lot of the bosses are slow and exploitable because that’s was the game was. The games became increasingly about multi-stage dodge fests so going back to Demons can make bosses feel like a cake walk.
    Sounds good.

Played as far as Anor Londo on Dark Souls again recently. It's all about knowing the environment and enemy placement, rather than things being very difficult to kill. Even bosses are more based on strategy than skill. Just what I want.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Finally putting in serious effort to complete the first DS finally. Chaos and Seath down. My Lucerne just needs a wee upgrade to +15 and I’ll push on through to the end.
    Things can only get better.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Yep, that's why I'm making good progress!
    Things can only get better.
  • JonB wrote:
    There’s also quite a few who bitch that the bosses are too easy. Which they are if you are a Souls veteran - a lot of the bosses are slow and exploitable because that’s was the game was. The games became increasingly about multi-stage dodge fests so going back to Demons can make bosses feel like a cake walk.
    Sounds good.

Played as far as Anor Londo on Dark Souls again recently. It's all about knowing the environment and enemy placement, rather than things being very difficult to kill. Even bosses are more based on strategy than skill. Just what I want.

Aye. I love the bosses in Demons. They’re more about the atmosphere, strategy and experience than frame-perfect dodging until the boss opens up a new attack set.

Plus, Dark and Bloodborne ripped from Demon’s hard, so it’s no surprise that Souls veterans figure out the bosses quick.

It’s a fucking great game with some of the best bosses and areas in the series. Nothing in the entire Souls series has topped the Tower of Latria or dat swamp. Plus, Demons has the saddest and most melancholic Boss in the entire series.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    I never got all the World Tendency stuff?  How will that be affected by the servers being turned off?  Hopefully all still doable - maybe I'll dive back in to try to get the bits I've missed...

Still doable. Though logging in to the server gives you an aggregate (of logged-in players) world tendency lvl that can be used to get back from pure black WT more quickly.
  • It’s a fucking great game with some of the best bosses and areas in the series. Nothing in the entire Souls series has topped the Tower of Latria or dat swamp.
    Interesting to read, since some of the areas in Dark Souls are my favourite bits of level design ever. The Depths to Blight Town to the swamp is amazing, as is the Catacombs to the Tomb of Giants. But I think Sen's Fortress is probably the pinnacle - it's a stunning achievement and never fails to make me nervous as I get near the bonfire at the top. Plus there's all the hidden routes in it.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Good chat in here. I think I prefer Dark Souls overall as it's all interconnected in a brilliant way, Demon's has some great level design (I'm still gutted I've not seen all of it and probably never will) but the way it's split into chunks doesn't feel as nice. Same for Bloodborne, not played DS2 or 3 yet.
  • I've played loads of Demon's in co op this year so I'm sad to hear the servers are going down. Just hope it means that they are announcing a PS4 version.
  • For anyone thinking of playing Demons - it definitely is worth doing before the servers go down. It’ll still be playable after, of course, but there will be things you will never get to experience if you wait too long. Just saying.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!