The Car thread
  • in my experience PCP is ok if you want to keep it for the entire duration and then hand it back.

If you want to get out of it early it's a ballache.
    I like to think I'm a CAN DO kind of guy...
    And the number of cans I can normally do is 12.
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47715415

Road safety: UK set to adopt vehicle speed limiters.

From 2022. Screw buying a new car from that year onwards
  • The bit people keep missing from that story is “… on new cars from 2022 onwards”.
  • I agree with the AA bit at the bottom there.
    People are already absolute fuckwits in less than perfect conditions. This will encourage people to top out the speed limit regardless of weather or road surface.

The biggest issue with drivers right now is that driving is a secondary thing when in the car and it's hardly surprising as driving becomes increasingly sensory separated from the road.

Add skidpan training to the test so people get a feel for things going wrong in a controlled environment. Then put them in a muddy field and deny them their license until they can drive out of it.
  • Ah, yes. Those pesky learners. Always their fault.
  • Gotta start somewhere and many things have been added and changed in the test over the years.
    A proper discount on insurance for pass+ and skidpan would also be useful.
  • I'm pretty happy its going to be harder for people to drive like bellends through built up areas and on the motorways tbh.

Waaaaah muh speed etc. Get in the bin, its 2019 stop fucking about on the roads pls everyone. Shit drivers and habitual speeders alike.

This shit probably also cuts emissions so big up all the little kids in cities not dying as often from respiratory problems hopefully.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • It will be interesting to see what affect it has on new car sales in 2022. I suspect it will be like marmite. I'd also expect the value of used cars pre-2022 to go up.
  • Roujin wrote:
    This shit probably also cuts emissions so big up all the little kids in cities not dying as often from respiratory problems hopefully.

Doesn’t really offset all the extra CO2 from people buying stupid SUVs because they want to sit a little bit higher up.

BUT STILL.

I don’t think speed limiters are inherently a problem. I do think ‘black boxes’ in all cars recording people’s movements are a nasty idea.
  • poprock wrote:
    I don’t think speed limiters are inherently a problem. I do think ‘black boxes’ in all cars recording people’s movements are a nasty idea.

Agree x1000 I cant stand the absolute cuntery that insurance companies get up to.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • So part of this proposal is mandatory black boxes in all new cars by 2022.

Data readable by who? Manufacturers, insurers, Police, DVSA, local councils, car park owners … who? Is it covered by GDPR? Is it anonymised?

Do not like.
  • poprock wrote:
    So part of this proposal is mandatory black boxes in all new cars by 2022. Data readable by who? Manufacturers, insurers, Police, DVSA, local councils, car park owners … who? Is it covered by GDPR? Is it anonymised? Do not like.

You can bet your ass it will be automated and absolutely 100% accurate and not start issuing tickets for being sat in traffic next to a car park. No way that will happen, no sir.
  • “Ah, you thought the exhaust brackets were included in your dealer warranty Sir? Sorry, but the black box tells us that you exceeded the speed limit twice in the past year. Your warranty is invalidated. That’ll be £785 +vat.”

“Ah, you thought you were insured? Sorry Sir, your insurance was invalidated when the black box notified us of a change in emissions levels from your car three months ago. Maybe you used a non-official brand of oil that month?”

Etc.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    I'm pretty happy its going to be harder for people to drive like bellends through built up areas and on the motorways tbh.

Waaaaah muh speed etc. Get in the bin, its 2019 stop fucking about on the roads pls everyone. Shit drivers and habitual speeders alike.

Having not read the article, does it prevent you from doing 70 in a 30 zone?
  • Yeah.

Edit: Unless you override it.
  • It does nothing to prevent people from doing 30 all the way through every 30 zone, regardless of visibility, weather, obstacles, etc.
  • No but then does it have to be a magic bullet solution to all bad driving?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47715415 Road safety: UK set to adopt vehicle speed limiters. From 2022. Screw buying a new car from that year onwards

Doesn;t that coincide with new Euro emmissions laws, likley the car manufacturers wanting to still sell old cars by hamstringing them. At least this way they can call it a safety feature, don;t be surprised if redlines drop to 4k
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • A day of going up and down the M25. God that motorway is so boring with speed cameras everywhere. So bored that I was scanning each over head structure for a speed camera that Waze had missed.

Also learnt three things. 1, Audi drivers especially those in A3's are utter muppets for their reckless driving. 2, drivers in suv's must have some secret permit that allows them to drive way beyond the speed limit on a motorway littered with speed cameras. 3. Speed isn't the issue its tailgating even on stretches that were 40/50mph some of the tailgating was awful.
  • I know!  Other people’s driving is terrible isn’t it? Speeding, tail gating, going too slow, not looking at what they should be looking at.  Why isn’t every other driver as good as me?
  • It’s the universal delusion, isn’t it?

I guess we don’t remember the 1,500 relatively safe drivers we see on a one-hour journey. We just remember the two who behaved like dicks.
  • I'm staggered each time I'm out in a Mini plastered in HERE'S A FUCKIN LEARNER MY DUDES decals by the folk being aggressive and taking chances cos I'm "just a learner".

In related news, I've been told to book my test. Woo!
  • Oh and my heart is now set on a focus st-line. That's The One.
  • That'll be hefty on the insurance no?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • It comes in a 1L. St line is just some of the St's shiny bits, not the engine. So I'm hoping not.
  • Everything relating to insurance will be hefty. Fuck it, might as well go the whole hog.
  • Just make sure if you buy an Ecoboost that it's either not effected by or had the recall done.
  • That's it Poppo. I'm gonna be 32 when I apply for it so it won't be as astronomical as say, a 19yo with an Audi, which I see a helluva lot.

And cheers, Bob. I'll keep an eye out.
  • Oh and if you want a valuation on anything to make sure the price is reasonable you can post a uk reg and mileage and I can check Glass's for you. :D
  • poprock wrote:
    It’s the universal delusion, isn’t it?

I guess we don’t remember the 1,500 relatively safe drivers we see on a one-hour journey. We just remember the two who behaved like dicks.

I had a lot of thinking/pondering time cause I was so bored.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!