The Car thread
  • I mean at what point is drink driving fucking funny?

Probably 1985 or something.
  • Ticked one off the bucket list today. Was in morrisons, came out to the car, and 2 spaces along was a nearly brand new db11. Took a picture, just as I did, the car unlocked.

Turned out the owner was a lovely guy, encouraged me to take closer pictures, sit in it, start it up and rev the nuts off it.

Fuck me, that's a nice car! Best go stick the euromillions on for tonight.....
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Nice!

Does anyone know if you can claim compensation from the council for a puncture caused by a pothole?
  • Nice!

Does anyone know if you can claim compensation from the council for a puncture caused by a pothole?

You can but only in circumstances where the council have been aware of the pothole for something like 8 weeks and it hasn’t been filled in that time. You can find that out by ringing up your council, mentioning where the pothole was and finding out if it’s already been reported. Think that’s the standard protocol but I’m not sure how easily you could prove that a specific pothole caused your puncture without a dashcam or something like. Hope that helps.

• MOT and service time, almost shat a Yule log over the work that needs doing. New coil springs, new rear calipers, new brake discs, new brake pipes... £1500 all in with all the other bits; MOT, major service. A grand minimum to pass the MOT so might as well go the whole hog.

That's Bradford's (Britain's) roads for ya. Fucking shedloads of suspension wrecking speed bumps that frig yer motor even when inching over them, and a million potholes that could be filled in with all the shit they use to make the speed bumps. Glad tidings my arse.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Images of Webbs driving round Bradford screaming PHYSICS!! after each speed bump and pot hole
  • But otherwise, my condolences, good sir.
  • Lol I did suspect some dodgy physics were at play, turns out it was my springs.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • My Roadster’s eaten its clutch. Just got a quote for a lovely new one at around a grand (because it’s a labour-intensive job). Well, that’s January’s finances royally fucked. Cars, eh? Who’d have ’em?
  • Is that the MR2?
    I like to think I'm a CAN DO kind of guy...
    And the number of cans I can normally do is 12.
  • Aye. Needs a major service and a whole new clutch. Service is capped at two hours labour, but clutch replacement is likely to be around eight hours work. Add the cost of the clutch, and all the filters, fluids, plugs, etc for a service …
  • mid-engine probably makes it more labour intensive.
  • Yeah, they need to drop the whole gearbox etc to get in there. Mid-engine makes some jobs easier, others harder. It is what it is.
  • Half-hour drive last night in the pitch dark and pissing rain, to drop the car off at the garage for its new clutch.

I wasn’t sure it would actually make it all the way, and my fears were well founded. I got lucky though. The clutch shat it literally at the top of the street where the garage is. I turned off the last roundabout and the clutch rubber disintegrated, the revs shot up and the wheels stopped turning. I switched the engine off and rolled the car down the hill, into the garage’s car park, and perfectly into a parking space.

tenor.gif?itemid=4703773
  • Just had a call from the mechanics. They used the phrase ‘spectacular damage’.

All repaired now though, and apparently the car is damn near concours condition. The fact that they’ve turned it around in one day means it’s less hours of labour than quoted, so it should be cheaper too.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    Just had a call from the mechanics. They used the phrase ‘spectacular damage’. All repaired now though, and apparently the car is damn near concours condition. The fact that they’ve turned it around in one day means it’s less hours of labour than quoted, so it should be cheaper too.

Don't think that didn't get in 20 self employed mechanics to get that labour cost back up to the expected amount ;)

Glad they've fixed it up though, I know that car has a special place, mjust;ve been a bit scary when the clutch went and you might easily have creamed it into a wall
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Nah, the biggest danger for me was getting stranded and waiting for the AA in shitty weather. A clutch failure won’t ever make you crash, unless someone smashes into the back of you while you’re failing to accelerate.

Basically I managed to destroy the clutch because it was 15 years old and I’m constantly riding it hard having to parallel park on a steep hill outside my flat. Shouldn’t happen again now that I’ve got a racing clutch installed that’s built to handle way more abuse.
  • so by 2035 we'll have an infrastructure capable of supporting fully electric or hydrogen powered cars as the Tories announce a ban on all petrol/diesel and hybrid cars.
  • We’ve been chatting about that in the climate change thread if you’re interested.
  • As mentioned earlier, this weekend I had my first loud noise while driving. Went over a section change on the motorway, not much to it, and something went in my rear driver side wheel. Lots of rattling. Naturally, I'm bricking it, not having a clue what was going on..

Just got a message from the garage dude. It was my "shock absorber top mount" that had broke. £85 and I'm free. Thank fuck it's only that? Aye ill take it.
  • Just read that GM have decided to close Holden for good. Only ever driven virtual versions but I guess it sucks for folk out there down under.

You'd think some Chinese company would want to get involved, surely? Do a rebrand, add some electric models, job done.
  • That sounds bonkers.. so there just not going to operate in the Auz market at all?
  • Same as here isn't it.
  • Harsh news for Aussie petrolheads. I guess Ford finally beat them for good.

The last Holden factory shut down in 2017 – there is literally no carmaking industry in Aus/NZ any more.

GM are focusing on America, with secondary markets in South America, the Middle East and South Korea. Everywhere else they now consider ‘niche’ – including Europe – and they will only offer their top-end vehicles there as imports. So no more shitty Chevys on sale in the UK, at least (but you’ll probably still be able to buy the big daft Camaros).

Funny you should mention Chinese brands. As part of GM’s withdrawal from Thailand as well, they’ve sold their Thai factory to Great Wall.
  • GM are fucked because they can't keep up with existing hybrid/full electric manufacturers while operating arms of the business that are going to become more and more unprofitable so they're going to cunt out and close plants rather than retool and aim for a long term development plan.

The bastards.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • I_R wrote:
    Same as here isn't it.

no cos essentially gm is vauxhall  no?
  • apparently not.. got sold off in 2017
  • Vauxhall are now PSA innit
  • Vauxhall are now piss tier innit.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Daewoo were always making cars built on gm platforms do they sell in Aus? Weiner's if that was how the subdivision Mather might still get the same cars
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!