The Car thread
  • Mod74 said:

It's 2WD in the normal model. It's only the top of the range that adds 4WD. The 1.6l petrol delivers 44mpg combined. Apparently.

Ah, I see.

I assumed they were all AWD.

• Has anyone, ever, been pleasantly surprised by a quote from a mechanic.

Car went in for a service yesterday. The service part was fine, $275 fixed price. Need a new rim for the front left though, so that was $920 dollars, and then they discovered that the tire was also fucked. So that's $320, then they tell me it's a legal requirement that you have to have both front tires the same age, so that's X2 $320.

Just get fucked.

paid for the service, paid for the rim, but I'm shopping for the tires. Ridiculous.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • MuseChick wrote:
    I have a Vauxhall astra that creaks like a mutha whenever I go over speed bumps. It's embarrassing.

Yeah, my knees do that too. In other news, my car wouldn't start today.

should probably phone someone about it tomorrow

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I heard that your guys dream of a sporty Juke is about to come true. Juke-GTR incoming. Also Mike at work driving a Cloverleaf, things on bloody rails
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Facewon wrote:
    Has anyone, ever, been pleasantly surprised by a quote from a mechanic. Car went in for a service yesterday. The service part was fine, $275 fixed price. Need a new rim for the front left though, so that was $920 dollars, and then they discovered that the tire was also fucked. So that's $320, then they tell me it's a legal requirement that you have to have both front tires the same age, so that's X2 $320. Just get fucked. paid for the service, paid for the rim, but I'm shopping for the tires. Ridiculous.

Classic rimjob.

bend over

g.man
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    $920? for one rim? What the hell have you got on it? A set of four 17" BBS alloys costs AUD$1,100 here.
  • garage around the corner are on the ball. Swap a back tire to the front, get 1 cheaper one to replace the dud one and put it on the back. $150. That's more like it.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • My car won't go in to fifth gear.  I should probably get this fixed at some point, but it's not actually much of a problem.
  • A NICE MAN from Subaru Assistance is coming out within the hour to hopefully fix my car.

yay

g.man
  • NICE MAN has come and looked at my car. Just needs a new battery. NICE MAN has gone to get a new one.

huzzah

g.man
  • Can you ask him to bring me a new fifth gear pls.
  • OK
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Went for the FIAT 500 Lounge in the end. Sept 11, 3k miles, £8,300. Seems a good deal to me, they're 12k new list price.

Paid extra £239 up front for two services and two inspections. And then another £499 for an extra two years mechanical/electrical failure guarantee after the remainder of the manufacturers. The last smacks a bit of extended warranty rip-off but after my experience with both my BMW (power steering) and Skoda (ABS) I know a medium serious fault in year 4/5 can easily top 500 bones.

Picking it up tomorrow.

The Nissan Juke was nice an all, but the plastics/finish was a bit meh, and didn't justify the extra 3k in price. Much worse on the running costs as well.
  • NICE MAN has fixed my car.

win

g.man
  • Great, and where's my fifth gear?
  • He's on his way.

it may be some time

g.man
  • I AM GOING TO GO FOR A DRIVE.

peep peep

g.man
  • Mod74 wrote:
    Went for the FIAT 500 Lounge in the end. Sept 11, 3k miles, £8,300. Seems a good deal to me, they're 12k new list price.

Paid extra £239 up front for two services and two inspections. And then another £499 for an extra two years mechanical/electrical failure guarantee after the remainder of the manufacturers. The last smacks a bit of extended warranty rip-off but after my experience with both my BMW (power steering) and Skoda (ABS) I know a medium serious fault in year 4/5 can easily top 500 bones.

Picking it up tomorrow.

The Nissan Juke was nice an all, but the plastics/finish was a bit meh, and didn't justify the extra 3k in price. Much worse on the running costs as well.

I popped the extended warranty onto the car when I bought. It also included breakdown coverage. So for the extra grand to be added to the finance it made total sense to have full warranty on all parts for 7 years.
  • My air-con's making a funny noise. I turned it off. That seems to have fixed it.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • I like your style.
  • I'm just learning to drive which at 34 is something I should've done a long time ago, in my defence I did have epilepsy when I was younger but grew out of  it and then a steady stream of girlfriends only too willing to drive me about and call me king who would grudgingly be the designated driver. 

It is the impending arrival of Babby Danger that has finally stirred me into driving action, I tend to work better under deadlines.

Car wise we have a Peugeot 306 diesel with a mighty 2 litre lump, also use of a Passat estate but I think that's seen better days and will cost a lot to get back on the road, it's a shame as I loved that car and it's just shy of 280,000 miles and I wanted to have a 300,000 mile party.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    google wrote:
    I popped the extended warranty onto the car when I bought. It also included breakdown coverage. So for the extra grand to be added to the finance it made total sense to have full warranty on all parts for 7 years.

Yeah, this one includes breakdown cover in year 4 and 5, which I guess is worth about 60-140 quid on its own. Need to sort our own up year 4. Thing is I'm getting a lump sum now and I don't know what I'll have in the future so it kinda makes sense to pay for it now in exchange for being covered later on when I might not be able to afford it.
  • I'm just learning to drive which at 34 is something I should've done a long time ago, in my defence I did have epilepsy when I was younger but grew out of  it and then a steady stream of girlfriends only too willing to drive me about and call me king who would grudgingly be the designated driver.  It is the impending arrival of Babby Danger that has finally stirred me into driving action, I tend to work better under deadlines. Car wise we have a Peugeot 306 diesel with a mighty 2 litre lump, also use of a Passat estate but I think that's seen better days and will cost a lot to get back on the road, it's a shame as I loved that car and it's just shy of 280,000 miles and I wanted to have a 300,000 mile party.
    "Babby Danger"

*chuckle*

g.man
  • We've leased our current car, and I love all the extras.  Free servicing for the duration of the lease, free roadside assistance, 7-10 years warranty on pretty much everything, and they even wash it for free whenever we go past the dealership.  

The fact that they cover all the maintenance and up the warranty stuff means I doubt I'll ever buy a car outright again.  Especially as even on the PCP-style balloon payment plan, this lease is cheaper.  A car loan at 2%!
  • How long was your lease for?

The loan for my car was .9% interest. It'll be paid off in 5 years, at which point I'll outright own the car.

I looked at leasing - the payments were around $50 less a month for the same time period. Now at the end of 5 years I'll own the car and can throw those payments into a Porsche.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Had to share to FIAT 500 user manual. Closest thing I could liken it to is a game manual.

temporary-20.jpg

Bizarre.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Had the DLC scratch card been used?
  • I'd swear I've seen that very font in actual Gears pamphlets.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    I'd swear I've seen that very font in actual Gears pamphlets.

Aha, yes. That's where I've seen it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!