The Car thread
  • Unlikely wrote:
    My S2000 sat in the garage for four years and the discs are fine.
    Yeah mines outside.

My mate had a mugen s2000 in metallic green. Batshit mental that thing. Drop from 4th to 2nd and grab onto something. Like a rabid f1 car
    PSN - minkymu
  • Some Porsche questions, which i could google individually but im sure we have current/former Porsche owners who may want to reply. These may come across as noob questions, but Porsche is a brand where my knowledge is lacking.

1. Is the whole Naturally Aspirated, avoiding uses of Turbos and SuperChargers a Porsche design philosophy or a heritage thing?

2. BMWs have quite a few 6 cylinder engines which are 3 litre engines therefore fuel economy isnt too bad. Why are Porsche engines like the one in the Cayman 718 GTS 4.0 6 cylinder and 4 litre? Why arent they 3 litre?

3. The aforementioned Cayman, Macan GTS and the 911s for example have terrible mpg. 23-25 mpg being the WLTP testing figures. Now i presume this is because Porsches are NA and dont have Turbos or Superchargerz to help the engine. Are Porsche planning to add mild hybrid tech to their cars to help mpg?

4. The 4 cylinder Cayman etc went down quite badly with Porsche enthusiasts, hence a 6 pot cayman appearing. Is a 4 pot Porsche really that bad an experience compared to a 6 pot Porsche?

These questions arose, as i was on the way to pick up my son from nursery and there was a Cayman in the lane next to me. It got me thinking about Porsches. I really like their design. Its iconic and distinctive. Personally i prefer them to Ferrari/Lambo/Aston Martins etc. Maybe the former are a league above in cost, but Porsche just has that something that its hard to put your finger on. This is from someone who has never even sat in a Porsche.

Anyway enough rambling. If no one wants to answer or can be asked i will google the answers.
  • In answer to 4. Fuck yes. The 6 pot is a lovely engine, thepower delivery, but more importantly for a Porshe, the noise, was excellent. The 4 m, whilst more economic sounds like a suburu, which isnt bad but not as nice as the 6. Power delivery was a bit tepid aso in relative terms. Even porsche has admitted defeat and started to reintroduce the 6 into models like the new 718 gts. The introduction of the 4 cylinder was to lower overall emissions and it was universally unloved

To amswer 1. No porsche love turbos, but only in certain models. The 944 turbo, the original and subsequent 911 turbos/s/se etc, the latest 911 are ALL turbo. The 959 was a turbo. The 911 Gt2 models are all turbos too

Basically there is a group who demand pure engines in porsches, non turbo, like the GT3 models who are basically using detuned race engines. The have no lag(not that current turbo 911s do) but more importantly rev to the heavens, which a turbo obvs cant do.
    PSN - minkymu
  • Did some reading in bed last night. So Porsche think they can continue down the NA route for another decade but adding a mild hybrid battery to the cars as well. Also they will continue to produce manual gear cars as long as the demand is there.

Minkymu, didnt realise all the 911s were turbos, goes to show how little i know about Porsches. If i was ever in the position in life of having a weekend car to go for a sunday drive, then a manual Porsche would be my choice. Until i win the lottery unlikely to happen. The running costs alone would make me cry though. Quite a pricey car to keep in good nick.
  • Lucky so and so. A 20 plate 718 Boxster GTS for a £3.50 ticket.

• hCnQtgW.png

*buys lottery ticket immediately*
  • Looks wrong with that much ground clearance
    I like to think I'm a CAN DO kind of guy...
    And the number of cans I can normally do is 12.
  • Looks wrong because it's a Porsche.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Looks wrong because it's a Porsche.

Well that too but I didn’t want to piss on his chips
  • Just no. Porsche chassis and off road tyres are a no. Also re: bob that ground clearance.
  • I'm with Pop, that's a real beaut. Love me the 70s and 80s 911s.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Any suggestions for trying to get a car dealer to reduce the price a bit? Straight to the point? Drag it out? Honesty? Appear unimpressed? 

I need a car fast, I've seen one I like. How should I approach this? Bob? I don't think there's much point in me trying to outnegotiate a person whose job is basically negotiating prices.
  • I am not an expert but I would say ‘straight to the point’ and ‘honesty’ are your best bets from that list.

I’ve had success in the past by just saying “I can afford £X, can you do it for that price?” and also “I’ve been looking at a similar model from another dealer and it’s £X cheaper. Can you match that?”
  • Kow wrote:
    Any suggestions for trying to get a car dealer to reduce the price a bit? Straight to the point? Drag it out? Honesty? Appear unimpressed?  I need a car fast, I've seen one I like. How should I approach this? Bob? I don't think there's much point in me trying to outnegotiate a person whose job is basically negotiating prices.

We normally knock £300 off so maybe go in with a low ball offer £500 less than asking price and see what they come back with? When I bought the wifes range rover from a dealer I just emailed and explained I was in a position to pay immediately didn't need finance and didnt have a part exchange and asked what he could do. He knocked a £1000 off for a december deal.
  • That's a gorgeous Porsche you heathens.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Bob wrote:
    Any suggestions for trying to get a car dealer to reduce the price a bit? Straight to the point? Drag it out? Honesty? Appear unimpressed?  I need a car fast, I've seen one I like. How should I approach this? Bob? I don't think there's much point in me trying to outnegotiate a person whose job is basically negotiating prices.
    We normally knock £300 off so maybe go in with a low ball offer £500 less than asking price and see what they come back with? When I bought the wifes range rover from a dealer I just emailed and explained I was in a position to pay immediately didn't need finance and didnt have a part exchange and asked what he could do. He knocked a £1000 off for a december deal.

Cool, I'm looking to get it down by about 700€, but I'll go a bit higher. I can pay on the spot if it makes a difference.
  • Bob wrote:
    Looks wrong with that much ground clearance
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    Just no. Porsche chassis and off road tyres are a no. Also re: bob that ground clearance.

You two have no soul.

1985-porsche-959-paris-dakar-0-1530289574.jpg
  • Kow wrote:
    Bob wrote:
    Cool, I'm looking to get it down by about 700€, but I'll go a bit higher. I can pay on the spot if it makes a difference.

It should do. Most dealers will like to get a deal done. And if you can pay in full on the spot they know there's no messing. In which case I'd offer 1000 less than asking hope they come back with a counter offer of 500 less then try and meet in the middle. But it'll depend on what margins they're working on. A lot of independent dealers dont discount now as they have to price competitvely on auto trader to begin with but good luck and let us know how you get on.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Renault pushing all the right buttons here

5_054.jpg

renault-5-ev-prototype.jpg

Reverting to the stripes on the badge again, that little vent on the rear light cluster, the arches, and rooftop spoiler all nodding to the Turbo, I think it looks lovely
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • They can remove the big illuminated RENAULT branding from the front grille, but otherwise they’ve done a grand job with it.
  • I hope you can program it to say FUCK OFF rather than HELLO.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • It would be neat if it was permissable as the number plate. Never gonna happen though.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Don't worry, it won't be there long being as it's electric, and the car's French
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I see what you did there Cocko.
  • I tried to paste a pic of this days ago...
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Don't blame you Bob, I just spied it on the front of a car mag while I was at Sainsbury's. I was hoping pop's reply was telling me that my stories about shit electrics in French cars was outdated, but I did just notice this led being out, so I feel vindicated

0IfUuoY.png
  • cockbeard wrote:
    … but I did just notice this led being out

Well spotted, Hawkeye.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!